Novels with beautiful prose

Sophelia

I've started this novel about 3-4 times based on recommendations like this and simply can not get into it. I can't figure out why, but I think the main character is so repulsive that I can't just enjoy him.

It's true though, Oliver Platt would be an excellent choice. Let's hope he doesn't die. :unsure:

Wolf Girl,

A friend of mine used to observe that people who don't like A Confederacy of Dunces inevitably have more than a little bit of Ignatius J. Reilly in their character.

I've never been able to test this out, since a lot of people I think resemble IJR also tend to like the book, though that may just be the exception that proves the rule.

Wolf Girl,

A friend of mine used to observe that people who don't like A Confederacy of Dunces inevitably have more than a little bit of Ignatius J. Reilly in their character.

hrmm..

I hope not :D

I wasnt a big fan of the book when I read it years ago. I just dug it back out of a box and added it to me "gonna read sometime" pile.

Well, I have some sorrow for those who couldnt get into Confederacy. I have probably read it 6 times in the last 15 years and really haven't found any protagonist that I can identify with. Its a slice of life story in my opinion, loaded with outrageous characters that appear so real, that I cant imagine them not existing somewhere. The comedic scenes have me laughing out loud, even in doctor waiting rooms, while the exploration of some the less enlightened characters saddens me. Maybe a reading of an edition with the Walker Percy introduction would help put the novel and the genius of Toole into perspective.

I would also recomment the novel he wrote as a teenager called The Neon Bible. I was moved to tears at the end of something written by a 17 year old. His suicide robbed us.

BTW I totally agree with the person who recommended Mark Helprin. His novel a Winter's Tale is one of my all time top 5, dont know why I didnt mention it with Confederacy.

Tim O'Brien The Things They Carried

I will second (or third, or whatever number is necessary) this book. One of my friends uses the title story from this collection to begin any literature or writing classes she teaches.

• 3 years later...

In the field of fantasy, Ellen Kushner is a widely acclaimed author, whose writing is beautiful, I think. The dialogue is witty and the characters aren't too bad either. I recommend Swordspoint (which is the only book I've read by her, thus far; I have another one lying around, somewhere, though).

• 1 year later...

Has no-one mentioned Robin McKinley yet? I luxuriate in her writing! It's so beautiful and somehow comforting. She writes fantasy inspired by fairy tales (Rose Daughter, Spindle's End, Deerskin), and she also has a vampire book that could be called urban fantasy (Sunshine), and several books/stories set in a country called Damar (The Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown). All thoroughly recommended.

For me, it's Joseph Conrad. He's simply the most spellbinding writer I've ever encountered. And English was his third language...and he didn't learn it until he was in his twenties (if I recall).

Honorable mentions to Joyce (no,I'm not referring to Ulysses; Dubliners is sublime.), George Eliot, Nabokov and Saul Bellow

• 4 weeks later...

Archived