New Miniatures Line!

Ran

Done. WIP shots of two of the wildlings along with the Shadow Tower Raven Keeper can be found on my blog HERE. Please forgive the blurry pictures (again <sigh>) they were somewhat rushed and I was playing with my mom's new camera...

I will figure out what the heck is happening to make my pics so blurry and fix it, I swear :tantrum:

What's the camera model? Looks like it's auto-focus that's the issue, and most cameras let you turn that off. :)

That's part of it. Some of it is the fact that I need a higher F-stop and that means the shutter has to stay open longer to get good light. If I am in a hurry and not using my tripod... blurry picture. It may be as simple as using the timer so there's no movement from pressing the button... I will just have to play with the settings, and turning off the auto focus is something I can try :) The problem is you can't really see how it is until you download it onto the computer, it looks perfectly fine on the LCD screen :tantrum:

Thanks for the pics KatieG. I don't think I'm going to get the wildlings. The sculpts are okay, but I don't see it makes much sense to spend 10 bucks on a mini that's only mediocre. The Meier sculpts on the other hand are well worth the cash, I'll get the gold cloaks and the rest of the characters that Meier produces for the line.

BTW good job on the gold cloaks they look great. But I've got to ask, why the red cloaks?

I've got a Night's Watch diorama I'm working on, I'll put some pics up once I'm finished. I converted the Jon Snow mini so he holds a shield, he'll be sparring with the sword bearing ranger as the other brothers look on. Dioramas seem to be the best use for this line, since wargaming with them is cost prohibitive.

Meier's Thunderbolt Mountain stuff however is much cheaper and they just released some Byzantines that are awesome. Too bad they're a smaller scale than the GRRM mini's, they could have been used for Dornishmen...

I don't think I'm going to get the wildlings. The sculpts are okay, but I don't see it makes much sense to spend 10 bucks on a mini that's only mediocre.

I agree. I may not get these. They are fine minitures and I like that they are making obscure peoples and characters like this... but you would think that they would have different costs associated with them based on who sculpted them and whatnot.

BTW good job on the gold cloaks they look great. But I've got to ask, why the red cloaks?

I went with the color scheme on the Dark Sword website. Maybe they originally meant for these guys to be Lannister men at arms or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Posted some finished miniatures on the blog HERE. I finished all the wildlings (except the new one, Alfyn Crowkiller, don't have one of him yet... I will get him when they put a few more out to save on shipping).

I know a lot of you said that you don't like the wildlings, but speaking as a painter, I absolutely love them. I enjoyed painting them, they had a lot of character. They're pretty nice miniatures in and of themselves, and the fact that they're inspired by Martin's work is just a bonus :)

I also have a work in progress shot of the Lannister Lady in waiting. That's another fantastic figure... after that it's the two Danys, which should be... interesting (read, pain in the ass)... all that flesh...

Also on the difference in price for a character versus a non character mini... frankly I don't see how they could. They have to sell the exact same amount of a character or non character mini to break even, so all that would mean is that they'd have to sell MORE of the less popular non character minis... unless they're paying a different price to the different sculptors, but I am not sure that's true (from what I understand, there's a pretty defined rate for these things). Just that Meier is a busy man and so they have to give out some stuff to other sculptors or else we won't get new releases very often...

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I would like to share with everybody on this forum some great pictures of Dark Sword professionnaly painted miniatures. I think that even those who are not collectors can enjoy these.

As a seller of the GRRM's line in France (and Europe) I also decided to collaborate with some french professionnal painters. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would be more than happy to own one or more of their favourite characters without having the skills to paint them or the time to commission a painter. That's what I will try to respond to in the near future.

But there are also top-notch miniatures that I will try to show on festivals and game conventions, that will help promote the Dark Sword line.

The finest work is being made by the talented french artist Gautier Giroud (Graphigaut). You can see the pictures of the miniatures here.

Those pictures will be posted up on the Dark Sword website in a few weeks.

So a quick presentation. We have:

- Gregor Clegane: no shiny armor for this one, who is about to break some more guys in two on the battlefield. So blood, and mud, and sweat it is, for the Mountain. I love it, and the spectacular size of the mini helps build a sense of danger and fear.

- Rattleshirt: a less spectacular miniature than Gregor but a very good one nonetheless. Here the tricky part (but the more interesting part) was to work by contrast on the textures: the bones, the leather parts, the cloak (that I love), the skin. Snowy base, but he is a wildling so he is used to it.

- Loras Tyrell. We wanted to give Loras an impression of nobility and respectability, so we decided to give him a white armor (like the kingsguard) with golden parts in it. Gautier did a freehand detail on the shield, to remind us of the Tyrell coat of arms. I certainly love the red cloak too. We wanted to do a frozen base as well, to remind us all that if winter is coming it is coming in Highgarden as well.

- Melisandre(the first of the DSM Graphigaut worked on). What I like is the overall impression of the mini, the base and most of all the work on the light coming from the flame.

I hope that you've enjoyed these pictures.

Beautiful painting, and those photos really show them off to best effect. I have to say, Gregor is an absolute winner -- the blood-splatter really adds some atmosphere and menace to the figure; hats off to Gautier! Would love to see him set against the Hound or Red Viper miniatures.

• 2 months later...

Let's continue seeing great pro painted miniatures !

After Melisandre, Loras, Rattleshirt and Gregor's miniatures, Graphigaut and MiniaReal have been working on two Greyjoy's characters.

- Aeron, the "Damphair" who has every reason to have is hair damp in this miniature. We wanted to set Aeron in his element: in turbulent water. The way the miniature has been sculpted lend itself well to the atmosphere of what we wanted.

So is he preaching to the holy Drowned Men, is he in the middle of a conversation with the Drowned God itself (isn't he a bit mad ? ^^) or has he just drowned some enemies ?

Gautier sculpted the wave with Milliput, and I love it.

Photo 1 2 and 3.

More photos in Gautier's site here.

- Theon, in a forest environment. Great paintjob and base, it almost smells like spring.

Photo 1 and 2.

More photos in Gautier's site here.

Soon we will have a little diorama featuring Shae and an other character (of high importance I might say).

Archived