Ferris Bueller's Sixteen Candle Breakfast Club

White Lion

Okay, so to celebrate my (very limited) return to action, I figured it was time to start a new silly thread in the tradition of our past successes.

Here's the premise: Take your character from BoD and drop it into the format of the 80s teen movies we all know and love. You know the formula: angst, cool soundtrack, lovable highschool archetypes etc. A few months back, Jyana and I had a great laugh figuring out who would be who, so I thought it would be even more fun opening things up to everyone. :)

Here's my shot to start things off:

Jaesin Lannister

Who?

The preppy, wealthy, football star BMOC with a general good nature who tends to unintentionally step on the little people without realizing it. Football captain / quarterback who is one of the few kids in school that can talk to Sarmion and not worry about getting his head ripped off. Wears either J. Crew or athletic gear exclusively and drives the sportscar his Pops bought for him. Dislikes cafeteria food, greasers and stoners. Grudgingly tolerates his younger brother, the "bad boy", for no discernible reason. Hangs around with popular chicks exclusively but has dated most of them already and tends to find them more amusing than attractive now. After getting sucker-punched by Jonn's greaser rival, slams him hard into a locker before the principal breaks it up.

80's Music Theme Song(s) played:

On his first appearance - Def Leppard's Photograph!

Wishing he could just start college, already - The Jam's Town Called Malice

After inevitably falling for the pretty but artsy girl - U2's Out of Control

Telling his bad-boy brother to grow up - Echo and the Bunnymen's Bring on the Dancing Horses

Trying (and failing) to get his many friends to JUST GET ALONG - Elvis Costello and the Attractions' What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding

Leading the comeback in the big Homecoming football game - Survivor's Eye of the Tiger

Now it's your turn. Have fun!

Jonn Lannister

Who?

The wealthy bad boy. Knocked up his girlfriend during junior prom, kept secret until discovered by some no account greaser. Witty, charismatic, and charming, mouths off to teachers and gets in fights every other day (usually with previously mentioned greaser). Kicked out of school during his senior year after an illicit affair with art teacher. Constant rivalry with preppy quarterback brother. All the girls want him, all the boys want to be him. Has a penchant for befriending nerds, though some believe he only does this due to a secret agreement between he and Sarmion. Plastered doctored pictures of Carmella in a compromising position all over the school.

On his first appearance - Led Zeppelin's Black Dog!

Emotionally charged scene with preppy brother - The Smiths's What Difference Does It Make?

With his knocked up girlfriend - Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart

Carmella Dondarrion

Who?

One of the popular girls who is expected to associate with and date only those within the popular social circle. Pretends to hold to this well enough, but secretly yearns for that strange boy from the other side of the tracks. He's the rebel who constantly fights with the jocks, the guy who could be a jock himself if the situation had been different. She'll get angry when someone else from the popular group questions her loyalty to them and will deny the accusations.

First Appearance: Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper

Angsty scene where she must choose between two worlds: Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths

The dramatic climax/life-threatening type scene - Holding Out For a Hero - Bonnie Tyler

Cadan Nymeros Martell

Who:

The new guy in class. He and his mother are italian, they are from a big city in the states, and he shows up and can't fit in. His trashy bike isn't cool here, he needs a car, and all the tall, blonde jocks who beat other people up think he's a girlish wimp. However, he practices a strange martial art, and the few friends he's got are a little impressed by his dedication and martial art skills. However, that doesn't do him much good when he gets beat up by the much better, tall, blonde guys who also knows fighting.

Music: When he's in love: Commuter, Young Hearts

When he finally kicks the asses of those big blonde guys and wins the girl:

Marian Stark

A wealthy nerd from a very old family. Ancestors in the most ancient photographs hung outside the principal's office, a "quaint" but big old house on the edge of town, etc. Wins prizes in mathematics and history (and at least one of those prizes might well carry her family's name), has "odd" hobbies like horse-riding and ancient religion, and is known to be devout - though something quietly and unfashionably Protestant (perhaps Episcopalian) rather than flashy, popular, or currently trendy.

Particularly at high school, probably most known among many people for being "the tall chick with the big nose and the huge..."

Might turn into a Goth by the end of her school career, after too long being an oddity. ;)

Romantically... hung up on someone who died off-screen during the big establishing Plot Tragedy that provides stimulus for various characters' development and social maneuvering. Spends a good portion of her time doing Good Works and being determinedly optimistic, while pretending not to hide from the dreams of her past.

Songs

Perhaps a burst of Mozart, or something comparably non-pop. ;)

Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" would be great... but is just outside the time period.

The same band's "Lonely in Your Nightmare" might work:

"Because you're lonely in your nightmare let me in

And it's barren in your garden let me in

Because there's heat beneath your winter let me in

Because you're so lonely in your nightmare let me in

And it's cold out on the stone range let me in

Because there's heat beneath your winter let me in"

Corrent Gargalen

Who?

The outcast badboy marked by long hair, brutal sarcasm, and a huge attitude problem. Can be off-beat and contradictory in many ways - kind/generous at one moment, then a complete insensitive asshole the next. Probably started smoking weed and drinking before anyone else. Fond of pranks and mocking others. Hooks up with fellow rebel outcast chicks, but ultimately falls for the wealthy princess.

Theme Music

Intro/Theme Song: Youth Gone Wild - Skid Row

Post-Fight and Introspection: 18 and Life - Skid Row

Hooking up with the princess: Love Theme from the Breakfast Club - Keith Forsey

After getting caught cheating by the princess (after the two had a fight over her parents looking down on him) - You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi

Ryssa Waters

The freshman girl who always dots her i's with hearts or flowers, depending on her mood. She's constantly reading Teen Magazine to catch the latest trends, and follows them fanatically in the hopes that she can be one of the popular crowd - she spends lunchtime bouncing around the cafeteria trying to find a group of older, popular girls who will let her sit at their table. She'll hang out with anyone, though. She knows that her parents want her to get into a good college, so she studies hard, and always raises her hand first in class. Her big brother (he's a senior!!) plays sports, and she's always hanging around the athletics field watching practices, hoping that some of the senior boys will talk to her.

Theme Song: The Bangles, 'Eternal Flame'

Reyna Tyrell

WHO

She's not the prettiest, but she is on the cutting edge of fashion and has enough old money and a good name to command the respect of the in crowd. She's a bitch and a snob, but she knows it and deals it all out with a sweet smile and a certain air of innocence that makes men want to know her better. But she has a wild streak, and she likes to rebel against the status quo. While clever, she isn't quite clever enough to avoid getting caught, and ultimately ends up falling for the baddest of bad boys after being tossed into detention with him--she got caught in the janitor's closet with the quarterback's ne'er-do-well brother--and surprises everyone by taking said stoner proudly to the prom.

MUSIC

On first appearance: Tesla Girls by OMD

When she is revealed as a slut: Darling Nikki by Prince

As she trudges in to detention: All I Want by the Lightning Seeds

When she kisses her stoner for the first time: Melt With You by Modern English

Serion Uller

Who?

He's the unstable goth -- the one with a chip on his shoulder and three automatic rifles under his bed. He wears a trench coat, tight pants, and combat boots, and will look you in the eye unblinking as he announces that he has a bomb in his backpack. He may or may not be telling the truth. Though he gets picked on by the popular kids and eats lunch alone, it doesn't seem to bother him all that much.

Doesn't seem to.

80's Theme Music

I'm sure there's music appropriate for him, but having never been emo or a goth myself, I wouldn't know what it is.

Kellyn Lannister

The vice principal's daughter that always half her attention on her college resume. Hyperorganized and practical to a fault (Type A), she's in all the right clubs and organizing committees, but never the class president or prom queen. No, she's always the one encouraging just the right person to run for class office, or making sure everything is just so for the coronation.

Her goody two shoes, prissy attitude tends to make her something of a target for troublemakers who want to drag her into the mud with them. No one is quite sure why the wealthy bad boy got together with her. He's the one inexplicable mark on her reputation.

Songs:

Personal

"Goody Two Shoes" Adam Ant

"Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)" Pet Shop Boys

"Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" Spin Doctors

Relationship

"Love is a Battlefield" Pat Benetar

"The End of the Innocence" Don Henley

"White Wedding" Billy Idol

"Fortress Around Your Heart" Sting

"What's Love Got To Do With It" Tina Turner

Yonel Storm

WHO:

Yonel is that redneck guy with the big junky ford that he always seems to be working on. His hair is always mussed up and is usually under a John Deer cap. He wears a lot of denim and has holes in most of the knees of his jeans. He blares the rock and country up when he pulls into the lot on the grass, even when there is an open spot. He is infamous for bringing the keg and turns the stereo up every time. He tries to get the girls, but just hasn't found the right pick-up line. Everyone knows him, but he really doesn't belong to one cliche.

SONGS:

Upon entrance (His truck pulls up and he steps out): Bad to the Bone by George Thorogood & The Destroyers

When he finally gets the girl, just to loose her again: Every Rose Has It's Thorn by Poison

Ending Scene with him smiling and squeeling off in truck: Highway to Hell by AC/DC

I think this is good...

Rosalind Hill

WHO:

The smart, but shy girl from the wrong side of the tracks. She's working hard to get that college scholarship and lift herself up beyond her background. Her parents dead, Rosa lives with a wealthy and influential foster family where she is thrust into a glamorous world that she really doesn't feel part of. Meanwhile, her foster parents parade her around to their socialite friends when looking for sainthood nominations. The girls from the "in crowd" are mean and condensending, but despite that, she's able to make friends across the social cliques. Eventually falling for the tough linebacker with a sensitive side, their romance endures a jealous popular girl's plot to keep them apart, having a dramatic reconciliation at the prom. She gets the Harvard scholarship and makes plans to keep a long-distance relationship with her beau.

Songs:

Intro Song: "Shape of my Heart" by the Police

Love Song: "Heaven" by Bryan Adams.

Going to the country club with foster parents: "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Taco

Unleashing her telekinetic powers at prom "Beds are Burning" by Midnight Oil. (j/k!)

Sarmion Stormbreaker

WHO:

The tempermental highschool bully, All American Tackle, captain of the football team, always clad in his lettered football jacket. Everybody in school is afraid of him because he likes to lock people into their own lockers, beat the hell out of the loners and pillheads, zipheads, weirdos, and nerds. NERDS! But the teachers and school administrators laugh it off as exuberant school spirit, allowing him free reign to terrorize those smaller and weaker than himself, which is basically everybody. Girls don't really want to come near him because his last girlfriend died in a car accident after a kegger in a rival school's territory. Her death has left him with a deep hatred of the other school which is continuously turned on whatever target of opportunity presents itself. The football coach loves his intensity.

SONGS:

On first appearance: Iron Man by Black Sabbath

When cruising in his black '69 GTO looking for a fight: One Hundred Years by The Cure

When beating up some punks in the street: Welcome to the Jungle by Guns 'n Roses

Flashback scene dancing with his girl at junior prom: Lovesong by The Cure

Holding his girl's body as she dies in his arms: Don't Cry by Guns 'n Roses

This is going even better than I'd hoped it would. Kudos to everyone who's posted so far-- you guys went into so much detail and had so many ideas that I was flooded with ideas to go back and add stuff to my own. (Which I did.) Can't wait to see a few more!

Anyways, I have to recap some of my favorite moments thus far...

Cadan, picking the cheesy theme song from The Karate Kid-- sheer genius!

Sarmion's entire post, which had me in stitches.

Reyna's "secret slut" and home-run selection of a Lightning Seeds track.

Kellyn-- who knew my sister-in-law was Tracy Flick from Election?

The Bangles appearing in not one but two personal soundtracks-- with the same song!

The Smiths haven't been this popular since Morrissey was sticking flowers in his back pocket.

Serion's automatic rifles and walkman, which I would suggest be filled with stuff like Depeche Mode, Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy.

Ryssa the Flighty Freshman!

Yonel's Ford pickup with keg in the back! How classic!

Corrent adding '18 and Life' for when he picks a fight with the wrong guy (Okay, so it hasn't happened yet, but c'mon, what's wrong with a little more Sebastian Bach?)

And last but not least--

EVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN... Yeah it does.

Jyana Arryn

WHO:

The new transfer student in school who was ugly in middle school but turned beautiful in high school. Outgoing but elusive, innocent yet devious, she is a study in contradictions - she knows it, and prefers it that way as it keeps people guessing and is probably the cause of so many boys from all walks of life vying for her attentions. Born from an old money, rich family, she immediately falls into the popular girl circle, but somehow manages to break away from it every so often to chat with the goths, rebels, and wannabes on occasion and sometimes gives out a helping hand or two towards them in secret. Smart, talented, and doted upon by overprotective parents and older cousins, she tends to rebel covertly by dodging curfew or sneaking out the family mansion to attend underground gatherings and rock music shows. Where, and who, her heart truly lies with isn't revealed until the very end of the movie, most probably after something bad happens to him.

SONGS:

Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's more fun (and perhaps more accurate) to do others rather than to do ourselves. Wait, that sounds bad. Anyway, even though the universal theme of '80s teen movies is to be your own person and not follow the herd and so forth, I will nevertheless conform to peer pressure and contribute. Great thread, btw, J.

Almer 'Ace' Connington

Who?

The brooding outsider who is too disenchanted with all the BULLSHIT in life to know how pretty he actually is. The last guy who called him a pretty-boy ended up with a broken nose and two teeth gone. He's the type who wears the leather jacket and torn-up jeans, not because it's cool, but because it violates the dress code. He often cuts class to bum smokes from the ex-hippie school custodian. At lunchtime he can usually be found in the parking lot perched on the trunk of his jet-black '67 Pontiac GTO Hardtop, reading Byron or Kerouac to his ridiculously hot exchange-student girlfriend. He tried out for the football team, handily winning the No. 1 wide receiver spot, then immediately quit the team solely to piss off his dad. And even though the WHOLE WORLD is trying to keep him and his ridiculously hot exchange-student girlfriend apart, FUCK 'EM. He doesn't have many friends; the guys in class are afraid of him, and the girls are in love with him, but he can't be bothered. He's thinking of starting a band, or maybe going to college, but once again, there's so much BULLSHIT involved. He wonders why people can't just BE REAL. He can't wait to leave this hick town. Maybe he'll go to New York or San Francisco and be a writer.

Initial appearance: I Fought The Law by The Clash

The illegal car race with his arch-rival: Kick Start My Heart by Motley Crue

The love scene: Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House

The inevitable rainy breakup scene: Drive by The Cars

The final get-back-together scene: Never Tear Us Apart by INXS

Archived