NFL Thread II

Ser Paladin

Wow the Broncos look terrible!

I guess this is good though because we always start out strong then self destruct towards the end of the season. Maybe this year we'll start out slow and play our best ball towards the end when we need the wins and momentum. It makes sense--our young guys are gonna need some time to gel. A couple of games. We'll look bad at first and then slide right under the radar.

Look out Super Bowl XI-next-one-not-sure-of-the-number-LLL cuz the Broncos are sneaking in this year.

Is this my penance for deriding CB and Rockroi and all the other annoying Pats fans over the years - that I get saddled with Caliban?

Karma - Live the dream.

Before we go off crowning Super Bowl Champs, please try to remember that its the pre-season; almost utterly meaningless.

To give Caliban something else to focus on:

BRIGGS' LAMBORGHINI FOUND CRASHED, ABANDONED

WSCR radio in Chicago reports that a black Lamborghini owned by Bears linebacker Lance Briggs has been found crashed and abandoned.

Briggs reportedly was seen running from the scene of the one-car accident.

Though we don't know whether Illinois law imposes hit-and-run liability for a one-car crash (and we invite any members of the Illinois bar to let us know what the rule is there), Briggs' motivation to leave the scene was greater than was his desire to remain with a car that costs slightly more than the average horseless carriage.

Video of the wrecked car, which Briggs supposedly bought right before the start of training camp, is right here.

Huh?

Heh...I heard about this on the radio and uttered 'Oh shit' when I heard it was a Bears player. Than a REAL 'OH SHIT' when they confirmed it was registered to Briggs. I really have no idea on the laws about this, but it can't be good. Even if there's nothing they charge him with (although fleeing the scene of an accident seems like the minimum...if they actually can do it for a solo crash), does the team suspend him for the fairly shady circumstances? Game or two just so they don't look like pussies? Or do they let him get away with it in pursuit of that all-powerful 'W'?

Heh...I heard about this on the radio and uttered 'Oh shit' when I heard it was a Bears player. Than a REAL 'OH SHIT' when they confirmed it was registered to Briggs. I really have no idea on the laws about this, but it can't be good. Even if there's nothing they charge him with (although fleeing the scene of an accident seems like the minimum...if they actually can do it for a solo crash), does the team suspend him for the fairly shady circumstances? Game or two just so they don't look like pussies? Or do they let him get away with it in pursuit of that all-powerful 'W'?

I'm going with .. ran off to avoid DUI, and they won't sit him unless he's actually charged with something. I think it'd be less about looking like pussies than hypocrites.

This thread is helping me get ready for my draft. :)

Heh...I heard about this on the radio and uttered 'Oh shit' when I heard it was a Bears player. Than a REAL 'OH SHIT' when they confirmed it was registered to Briggs.

Just hoping he wasn't coming from this party.

The issue I have with all of these projections (and most projections) is, gosh, they look remarkably like last year. Teams that were good are still good and teams that were bad are worse.

Now that's a bit unfair. I think the Browns are on an uptick. :eek: I have the Cowboys getting better, while the Giants get a bit worse, and the Skins treading water.

I have the Ravens coming back to earth a bit. I feel like the Steelers will be worse, but the talent says they really can't drop below .500. I had them at 6-10 in my first cut, just on having a new coach following up on a legend. But it felt harsh.

In the NFC West, I have the Broncos well into the playoffs and the Chiefs cratering. I'm moving pieces around.

AFC West

San Diego Chargers. A team with few weaknesses on the field, the Chargers should, by all accounts be the favorites to represent the conference in the Super Bowl. But I don't think Norv Turner is in Tony Dungy's league as a coach, let alone Hoodie-boy's. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers fall back to a wildcard team. But you can't argue with this Chargers team racking up Ws with the talent they bring.

Offense: Maybe you've heard of this Running Back in San Diego. He's pretty good. Philip Rivers is a competent QB. Not flashy, but not mistake prone, gets the job done efficiently enough to make the Pro Bowl. Gates is the premier weapon at his position. And the O-Line is gold. The WRs are meh, but do you need great ones when you've got the best RB and the best TE in the NFL? Nah.

Defense: The Charger D is good, not great, talent wise. But when you are ahead 80% of the time, you can get away with taking more chances. You're a great D if you keep opponents to 14 or fewer points per game. The Chargers were 16 points against when Merriman played. That's good enough.

Overall Record: 12-4 Yes, Norv Turner costs you 2 Ws. Maybe he gets one back in the playoffs though.

Denver Broncos: I really like the Broncos in the Jay Cutler era. It's a year too soon to anoint them as equal of the Chargers, but I feel like they will be in the running in the second half of the season, after a slow-ish start as some new players gel.

Offense: Yeah, I'm drinking the Jay Cutler Kool-Aid. And I really like Travis Henry (an underrated RB through his career) in this system. Oh, Javon Walker is pretty good too, and Sheffler ain't a bad pass catching option. The line is well above average, at minimum. Not too many complaints about the Bronco game on this side of the ball.

Defense: Not bad, not great. The CBs are top notch, but the line is merely adequate. They will get run on early in the season, but if they gel up front, they could be a top-10 D by the end of 2007.

Overall Record: 12-4. You may think this is high, but this 9-7 team in 2006 plays a third place schedule in 2007. The tough games are limited to a pair against the Chargers, and one each against the Bears and Colts. There is nothing else that looks the least bit scary on that schedule. Go look. If they split against the Chargers, or steal one of the out of division games, they could see home field through the playoffs.

Oakland Raiders: OK, there's some talent on D. The offense is a year or two away from anything resembling special. But the Raiders should climb out of the cellar, at least.

Offense. Dante Culpepper for now, Jamarcus Russel for the future. It's not unheard of for "onoe year rentals" to mess up a plan (say, Jon Kitna a couple years ago). But it's safe to say that the Raiders are not playing for 2007. Lamont Jordan is ok, and I do like Jerry Porter a little. I lack words to describe how poor the O-Line was last year, even with improvement, it's a bottom third unit.

Defense. As I mentioned, there is some talent, but it's hard for a defense when you are constantly playing from behind. While they were #3 in "yards against" last year, they were bottom half in every other defensive category. At best, they crack the top-10 overall.

2007 Record: 5-11. Improved, a bit.

Kansas City Chiefs: It's over. Not that they were in the conversation with the Colts, Patriots, Chargers, Ravens or even the Titans a few years ago. But they always lurked on the bubble. It's popped. Herm Edwards was seen near Arrowhead with a hatpin. Circumstantial evidence? Maybe to you.

Offense: Brodie Croyle. Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker and a depleted line characterize the unit. Larry Johnson could be a star, but got run into the ground. Oh, and former stud Tony Gonzales? Staying at home to mask the defencies of the line. It's not going to be pretty.

Defense. Youth movement combined with overpaid oldsters. Ty Law and Patrick Surtain will be complemented by second year safeties. Two out of three LBs are new to KC. The line has long term promise, but the best lineman is suspended to start the season, and the next two best are very young.

2007 Record: 2-14. Kansas City Chiefs, you are now on the clock.

Ser Paladin,

I agree with your assessments of the West wholeheartedly. Especially the fall of the Chiefs.

I mean, the Jets were very good before he got there, and they were good after he left. He's a team killer of the highest order.

Simply by addressing the center, he makes an offense dangerous, he puts the defense on edge; the field is now his.
Whew. Who knew Caliban writes erotica? I'm moist as hell.

I don't think the Chiefs are going to fall just because of Herm. The fact that their OLine is about 18 gazillion years old and their best guy on that line retired, the fact that they still don't have anything at receiver, their defense is not improved from 4 years ago, and that their best player just had a record-setting number of carries...yeah, they're hosed. Edwards isnt' going to help matters, but he's not the problem.

I don't think that Herm drove the jets into the ground either. Losing 4 QBs along with, like, half of their O-line and their RBs to injury all in one season didn't help matters. That's not all bad coaching. Besides, who doesn't want to keep Herm around - he has awesome quotes! One of these days he's going to go all Denny Green on our asses.

The season hasn't even started but I already miss Denny Green press conferences. And I'm totally disappointed in the Denny-Green-Press-Conference Beer Ad because it doesn't have his greatest press conference moment. I kept waiting for it...and it never came.

Its true. Herm is one loss to the Raiders away from going all "crown their ass" or "Playoff?" on us. i can't wait.

To absolutely nobody's suprise, Asante Samuell resigned with the Pats today with the franchise tag, garnering absoluetly no concessions from the Corporate Juggernaught NE Patriots. Most meaningless hold out since Tony Saragoussa forced a doctor to do surgery on him so he wouldn;t have to practice in 2001. Samuel will make appx $450,000- almost his ENTIRE salary last year -per game.

I understand what Sameul was trying to do, but it completely hillarious watching these players try to deal with the Pats front office, "Oh, I'm sorry, you think you are are 'star;' and 'intrigal part of the team?' Isn't that cute! Try to remember, we can get anybody to do your job. Even Rashede Caldwell! That's how bat-shit crazy we are about this! We will get Rashede Caldwell to be a wide receiver for us!!! THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND! A starting NFL, wide-freakin'-reciever! Rashede Caldwell!!!! We'll do it too!!! We got rid of Adam Veneterii for a guy who has missed one field goal in each pre-season game! We have a tackling dummy playing where Willie McGuinest used to be!"

Asante Samuel reported to Patriots camp today. Can we all agree its time to start sizing up the rings? Or do they just keep that stuff on file?

But seriously, this team is probably the most talented, and deepest that Pats have fielded in memory. The only possible question mark is the LB'er corp, but it is still a incrediably experianced and diverse group that gets to sit behind one of the best D lines in football.

God I cannot wait till Sept 9th- Have a $50 bet with a old friend that the Pats will sweep the Jets this year, so we need to get off on the right start.

Simply by addressing the center, he makes an offense dangerous, he puts the defense on edge; the field is now his.

You are right, although I dont think its for the reasons you think.

He makes the offense dangerous - the only question is for who? Will he throw a TD for the Bears or pad some cornerbacks INT's?

The Defense is on edge the entire time, he could be launching a 60 yard bomb for a TD, or making a perfect pass to the safety for a TD?

The field truely is his.

Of course, since the only three games I saw of his last year were the NE, the Arizona and SB games....

But isnt it getting close to the time he has another season ending injury?

Caldwell is still on the roster, isn't he Rock? If the camera pans to the sidelines, and you see him standing there, his big, giant eyes staring back at you, will you scream?

I dont know about Roc, but I will be curled up in a fetal position on my floor crying and whimpering about AFC championship drops.

Archived