The Inferior by Peader Ó Guilín

Werthead

[quote name='Peadar' post='1063731' date='Oct 18 2007, 14.54']More is on the way. I had my editor over here the other day working with me on an early draft of the next book. btw, your English looks native, but if you have any specfic reading Austrian friends, I will shortly be pimping a German version too...[/quote]

I have been burned in the past by recommending translated books. :(
Some people who translate Fantasy and SF just do not seem to understand the genre.

[quote name='Luzifer's right hand' post='1063803' date='Oct 18 2007, 14.35']I have been burned in the past by recommending translated books. :(
Some people who translate Fantasy and SF just do not seem to understand the genre.[/quote]

Yeah, you have a good point. So much depends on the quality of the translator. Everything does. The Italian edition of my book has just come out and I'm afraid to read it for what I might find... I should probably keep well away from it.

Luckily I don't know enough German to be able to find any flaws. In fact, if you see any, please don't tell me!

[quote name='Peadar' post='1063811' date='Oct 18 2007, 15.43']Yeah, you have a good point. So much depends on the quality of the translator. Everything does. The Italian edition of my book has just come out and I'm afraid to read it for what I might find... I should probably keep well away from it.

Luckily I don't know enough German to be able to find any flaws. In fact, if you see any, please don't tell me![/quote]

It's not your problem as long as the book sells well abroad. :P
Once there are websites dedicated to the translation errors in your books(like Terry Pratchett) you know you have made it. ;)

[quote name='beniowa' post='1065116' date='Oct 19 2007, 01.09']Peadar, I just bought your book and will be starting it as soon as I finish The Orphan's Tales by Valente.[/quote]

Thanks, Beniowa, I hope you really enjoy it. If not, I'll have to fire my ghost writers.

[quote name='LRH']Once there are websites dedicated to the translation errors in your books(like Terry Pratchett) you know you have made it.[/quote]

I look forward to it! In fact, I'm going to start such a web site today: infeerior_errers.com. Look out for it soon!

• 1 month later...
Inspired by a few good reviews I tried to get hold of a copy of The Inferior... to no avail... our local Waterstones didn't have it. :tantrum:

So I had a chat with a friend of mine who runs their SF section and he said he'd order some in :thumbsup:

a few days later he popped by to tell me that they did infact have it - and it was in the 8 to 14 year old section... so I showed him some online reviews and the next day it was moved to Young Adults...

So eventually I got a copy and read it.

It was worth the wait - a good, "Leave it to you imagination" first person story with superb ideas and concepts and a great underlying layer of REALLY NASTY stuff - very rewarding and with a most pleasing ending. (I do have a soft spot for books that leave me wanting more, but knowing that more is not necessary)

Has anyone else read it (or had trouble finding it due to bookshops not having read it and thusly putting it in the wrong section)?

[quote]I think there's a thread on this somewhere... Couldn't see it though.[/quote]
aye, which is one of the reasons I started this thread :)

One of the reasons I did hunt this down was that Peadar had linked some reviews in his Sig and those, coupled with a couple of others were very favourable.

[quote]couldn't believe the spoiler that the publishers included in the blurb though[/quote]
yes - if anyone is thinking of reading this book [size=4][color="#FF0000"]Do Not Read the Blurb![/color][/size]

It's actually really not that hard to use the search function on this site.

See, you type in " Inferior" , select literature forum, titles only, and ta daa!

[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=22113&hl=inferior"]http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showt...amp;hl=inferior[/url]

:rolleyes:

Mods, perhaps the threads can be integrated?

Peadar was nice enough to send me a copy, so I hope to read it soon. It sounds good (and thanks for the warning about the blurb - I think I read it, but since I can't recall it right now I'm not too worried).

Calibandar, stick to the topic. Have you read or purchased the book?

Right. See you then.

I [i]still[/i] haven't read it. Peadar will kill me! But, I'll be internetless for weeks soon and it definitely is next on the pile; in fact it's besides the bed. Only I can't seem to get through RSURS. Maybe I'll just drop it for a while as I seem to be making heavy work of reading it.

I am just over a 100 pages into the Inferior and I really like it so far. Very original, a distinct and attractive style, witty and very readable so far. Will post more once I am done.

Way to go Peadar!!

ps, never mind pedantic muppets, Bran.

[quote]Peadar was nice enough to send me a copy, so I hope to read it soon.[/quote]
That was very nice of him!

its a book to look forward to, the writing style is so pleasing. Its also quite a quick read, the chapters just fly by.

[quote]Way to go Peadar!![/quote]
seconded.

In the first couple of chapters I was slightly put off by the naming system, but vit very quickly grew on me and by the end I was loving all the character names and their relevance - all just adding to the atmosphere of the book.

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1126448' date='Nov 29 2007, 13.45']It's actually really not that hard to use the search function on this site.

See, you type in " Inferior" , select literature forum, titles only, and ta daa!

[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=22113&hl=inferior"]http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showt...amp;hl=inferior[/url]

:rolleyes:

Mods, perhaps the threads can be integrated?[/quote]

Yes, evidently they can.

Not being a mod, you will not know that you cannot actually merge threads using the search function and have to go back and manually find the preceding thread which in this case was 11 pages back. Given the increased traffic on the board and the increased traffic in Lit. recently, it becomes very tedious and time-consuming to do this which is why there is less merging going on than before.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Bran, thanks for getting it put into the correct section. You've probably saved me from some very nasty law suits in the future -- "my childhood was destroyed when I ate the little boy who sat next to me in class" etc. etc.

Yes, Niamh, I have planned your demise. I think you'll be pleased by how I intend to go about it.

Everyone else, sorry about the spoiler -- it's partly my fault. The problem is, when you know your own book soooo well, you can't always see something so obvious. I'll try and make sure it's not in the paperback or the US versions.

Just finished this last night. I raced through it probably too fast, because I was so caught up in the plot. :)

Excellent book: refreshing, well-written, full of ideas, fast-moving, original, and pretty bloody and brutal in places. The characterisation was a particular strength, though see spoilers below for my one reservation on that. Overall, though, thoroughly recommended. :) Go out and buy!

Spoiler stuff:

SPOILER: The Inferior
In general, I loved the characterisation of both Stopmouth and Wallbreaker - it was sufficiently complex to convince as a genuine relationship, rather than a convenient 'good brother - evil brother' dichotomy. You rooted for Wallbreaker sometimes, hated him at others. The issue of Stopmouth lacking self-confidence was also rather well portrayed, I felt. Some of the incidental characters - Rockface, Varaha, Mossheart, Yama - were nicely done too. The one main character I felt was slightly flat in comparison was Indrani: somehow, she never seemed to have the depth I felt she should have. But this was a minor niggle, not a major issue - not an actual problem, certainly.

I enjoyed the various aliens, some interesting conceptions there. I loved the writing style: a first-person POV done well. It worked beautifully for the story, meaning that the oddness of the setting had to be taken as fact - the reader has lots of questions (some of which are answered in the end, some are not) but Stopmouth is not stopping to reflect on these. You just have to roll with it, and think a bit. It probably helps to have a background in SF/F, though: you 'get' some things, as they're tropes of the genre.

Archived