The Inferior by Peader Ó Guilín

Werthead

Good points in the Spoiler bit Mormont, especially about the writing style - I really liked the way that things weren't explained to us as outsiders - why would a character like that describe mundane things to us? :thumbsup:

[quote]You've probably saved me from some very nasty law suits in the future -- "my childhood was destroyed when I ate the little boy who sat next to me in class" etc. etc.[/quote]
No worries mate

[quote name='Peadar' post='1126905' date='Nov 29 2007, 23.02']Yes, Niamh, I have planned your demise. I think you'll be pleased by how I intend to go about it.[/quote]
It's those blue pics that did it I bet :lol:
Can't wait :uhoh:

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1126907' date='Nov 29 2007, 23.03']Niamh,

No need to get your panties in a bunch you schoolgirl.[/quote]
One needs to wear panties to twist them. Or so I thought :hat:

[quote name='Werthead' post='1126773' date='Nov 29 2007, 22.50']Not being a mod, you will not know that you cannot actually merge threads using the search function and have to go back and manually find the preceding thread which in this case was 11 pages back. Given the increased traffic on the board and the increased traffic in Lit. recently, it becomes very tedious and time-consuming to do this which is why there is less merging going on than before.[/quote]

Can't you bump it and then merge them? In fact, if you wanted to be really slick, couldn't you bump it, delete your own post and then merge them? Although possibly that would take as long as going through 11 pages. :P

Not that it's important, I just wondered.

On topic - Having heard nothing but praise for this book, I definitely want it for christmas. Think i'll avoid reading the blurb then.

[quote name='niamh O'Toole' post='1127876' date='Nov 30 2007, 11.29']One needs to wear panties to twist them. Or so I thought :hat:[/quote]
...and so the legend grows.

That's going to create a jump in your Profile Views- Now we will know you as the kissed by fire, pantyless, painted, horse warrior-maiden of Ireland.

It's a stirring image.

[quote name='niamh O'Toole' post='1127876' date='Nov 30 2007, 16.29']It's those blue pics that did it I bet :lol:[/quote]

It's not that you took compromising pictures of me, so much as the fact that you didn't cut me in when you sold them. :tantrum:

[quote name='Peadar' post='1129073' date='Dec 1 2007, 08.05']It's not that you took compromising pictures of me, so much as the fact that you didn't cut me in when you sold them. :tantrum:[/quote]
And now it's official. My NHAW pics are, in fact, Peadar's. :leaving:

Hey I read about 150 pages last night. It might turn me vegetarian yet. But, quite entertaining.

PS: Rockface is cool. He reminds me a bit of "wait for the signal" Black Dow, actually :D

Finished this yesterday and [url="http://natsecorma.net/theredundantblog/2007/12/07/the-inferior-by-peadar-o-guilin/"]put up my review today[/url]. I hope you don't mind that I used your comment about the quality of 'The Inferior' compared to that of Chris Wooding's 'The Fade', Peadar, but you were certainly right - I did enjoy your book more than Wooding's and I can't wait for the next book to come out. Recommended :thumbsup:

[quote name='Amras' post='1139384' date='Dec 7 2007, 18.18']Finished this yesterday and [url="http://natsecorma.net/theredundantblog/2007/12/07/the-inferior-by-peadar-o-guilin/"]put up my review today[/url]. I hope you don't mind that I used your comment about the quality of 'The Inferior' compared to that of Chris Wooding's 'The Fade', Peadar, but you were certainly right - I did enjoy your book more than Wooding's and I can't wait for the next book to come out. Recommended :thumbsup:[/quote]

Hi Amras, thank you very much for the review! And I see you like HBO stuff too. We'll get on just fine :)

Well, in fairness - who doesn't like HBO?

I'm writing up a review to put up on a relatively big Norwegian MB. If I put some effort into it I bet I could get you a couple more readers from vikingland, even though I haven't seen your book in any of our bookshops... Why is that?

[quote name='Amras' post='1140482' date='Dec 8 2007, 11.53']I haven't seen your book in any of our bookshops... Why is that?[/quote]

They're waiting for the Danish translation to come out? ;)

Honestly, I don't know why that is. But here's my guess: it's a hardback book by a nobody that's hard to classify. From what I hear, only about a third of the bookshops in the UK have any copies and your guess is as good as mine if they've put it into the Young Adult section, the fantasy section, the SF section, the general fiction section or, in several cases, the section for 8 - 12 year olds. For all I know, every shop in Norway is stocking it on the hunting shelves.

Anyway, thanks for putting up a review on that big MB :cheers:

*Must... not... bite... on... comment... He [i]knows[/i] that Norway isn't a part of Denmark anymore...*

You haven't by any chance heard whether or not it'll be translated to Norwegian? It'd fit in quite nicely over here, seeing as the people who read the most speculative fiction are teenagers or 'young adults' (because of Harry Potter, you know). But most probably it won't. "The Lies of Locke Lamora" was only barely opted for translation (it's due in the summer), and that one sold a lot more than this one is ever going to do...

[quote name='Amras' post='1140968' date='Dec 8 2007, 22.16']*Must... not... bite... on... comment... He [i]knows[/i] that Norway isn't a part of Denmark anymore...*[/quote]

:)

[quote name='Amras' post='1140968' date='Dec 8 2007, 22.16']You haven't by any chance heard whether or not it'll be translated to Norwegian? It'd fit in quite nicely over here, seeing as the people who read the most speculative fiction are teenagers or 'young adults' (because of Harry Potter, you know). But most probably it won't. "The Lies of Locke Lamora" was only barely opted for translation (it's due in the summer), and that one sold a lot more than this one is ever going to do...[/quote]

From what I've heard, there are a few more interested parties since the Frankfort book fair, but none of them are from the island of Norway ;)

• 1 month later...
The Inferior definitely isn't for everyone. A few people on this site have offered to buy it who are unlikely to enjoy it, while others for whom it would be a dead cert blithely pass it by...

With this in mind, and with thanks to Koudoulis from the Bakker thread for inspiring me, I have decided to make the first two chapters of the book available as a .pdf download. Nobody need ever waste their money again!

To quote Lord Blackadder: "Get it [url="http://www.frozenstories.com/inferior_sample.pdf"]here[/url]!"

Take the Inferior challenge today ;)

[quote name='diabloblanco18' post='1184704' date='Jan 11 2008, 00.57']This has been on my to-buy list for a while now, but those sample chapters (or, rather, the first few pages of those sample chapters) convinced me to order it. A pity it won't get here for a week or so.[/quote]

Thanks, Diablo. Muchas.

Normally I don't bother with YA, but the good word around the board has gotten me interested. Unfortunately, Amazon tells me that it won't be available in the US until June. I could have sworn that a couple of months ago, this had a December release date. Did something happen? Am I just an ass and misread the date? Or maybe it's just that Amazon sucks? At any rate, I won't be able to check it out for some months yet.

Don't worry, Bill, I'll be sure to post a reminder in June. Also, I hope some of our US bloggers (other than Beniowa) might give it a review or two by then. Hopefully some of them are already on the Random House/Knopf mailing list.

Archived