Robert Jordan has passed away

aidan

This was shocking news. I had heard things were getting better for him. It's a sad day and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Say what you will about Wheel of Time, it will stand as one of the best known and best selling fantasy series of all time.

sad news. I've talked smack about WOT from Path of Daggers on, but I seriously and secretly rooted for Memories of the Light to kick unholy arse. Started reading RJ's work at 15 and it was better than 99% of the top names waay back in the early 90's.

Wonder if TOR is going to release a "Last Tycoon / Edwin Drood" sort of finale? Perhaps Harriet will complete the saga?

I was so shocked when I read the news. WoT was my first epic fantasy series, and even though I thought his work declined after Book 6, I was too attached to not read the succeeding books.

This is sad news for me.

Condolences to his family.

From what little I've read over at wotmania, apparently he was recording the major end scenes, detailing plot summaries and how he planned to get from Points A, B, C, etc. to his cousin and wife in the past few weeks, in preparation for this kind of moment. So I would guess that in a year or two, the book will be released in some form or fashion.

But that is, of course, irrelevant next to the person dying and his family and others grieving.

I hadn't read his stuff in a few years, I was going to do a giant re-read once the final book came out. Might have reused some phrases too much and spent time on characters I didn't particularly care for. But, the dude gave me many hours of entertainment and escapism, which is all I can really ask of any author. A damn shame.

Sad news indeed. . . :(

My condolences go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

After Frank Herbert died, I never thought it would happen again, not when an author was on the verge of completing such an opus.

This is a sad day in the history of genre.

Patrick

Archived