footie footie footie with the feet #2

Teng Ai Hui

re: American footballers in Europe

I was just looking at the report about the Arsenal/Derby County game. Along with Adebayor's hat trick, I noticed that American Eddie Lewis started for Derby. Ever since I saw this quote regarding the USA/Brazil friendly, I have been thinking about which Americans play overseas.

In a pair of games four years ago, Brazil outshot the Americans by a combined 29-13. This time the United States outshot the Brazilians 11-9. Ten of the 11 American starters -- Donovan was the exception -- are with European clubs, and Brazil coach Dunga thought it showed."

I'm not exactly sure who the 10 starters were, but I did find a list here about the players on that game's roster and their club teams. The players from Europe were as follows: Tim Howard (Everton), Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Watford [England's League Championship]), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege [belgium]), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Frank Simek (Sheffield Wednesday [England's League Championship]), Jonathan Spector (West Ham), DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen [Dutch Eredivisie]), Bobby Convey (Reading), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Benny Feilhaber (Derby), Josh Wolff (1860 Munich [bundesliga 2]).

Then along with those 14 (plus Lewis), I know of a few other Americans playing in Europe: Brad Friedel (Blackburn), Freddie Adu (Benfica), Brian McBride (Fulham), Kasey Keller (Fulham). Can anyone else help me add to this list? How well do they do on their club team? I know that Howard, Bocanegra, Dempsey, Friedel, and McBride are usually in the starting lineup. Convey and Beasley are often used as subs. Adu is in the doghouse due to his lack of fitness. I know Lewis, Cherundolo, Onyewu, Wolff, and Keller from playing on the national team and other club teams, but I do not know how well they are doing now. The others I have never heard of before. Can anyone help me out?

//I was going to put this post in the original footie footie footie thread, but it was resently closed. So feel free to help me with my questions. Or just ignore them and make your own typical footie footie footie comments.

re: American footballers in Europe

I was just looking at the report about the Arsenal/Derby County game. Along with Adebayor's hat trick, I noticed that American Eddie Lewis started for Derby. Ever since I saw this quote regarding the USA/Brazil friendly, I have been thinking about which Americans play overseas.

I'm not exactly sure who the 10 starters were, but I did find a list here about the players on that game's roster and their club teams. The players from Europe were as follows: Tim Howard (Everton), Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Watford [England's League Championship]), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege [belgium]), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Frank Simek (Sheffield Wednesday [England's League Championship]), Jonathan Spector (West Ham), DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen [Dutch Eredivisie]), Bobby Convey (Reading), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Benny Feilhaber (Derby), Josh Wolff (1860 Munich [bundesliga 2]).

Then along with those 14 (plus Lewis), I know of a few other Americans playing in Europe: Brad Friedel (Blackburn), Freddie Adu (Benfica), Brian McBride (Fulham), Kasey Keller (Fulham). Can anyone else help me add to this list? How well do they do on their club team? I know that Howard, Bocanegra, Dempsey, Friedel, and McBride are usually in the starting lineup. Convey and Beasley are often used as subs. Adu is in the doghouse due to his lack of fitness. I know Lewis, Cherundolo, Onyewu, Wolff, and Keller from playing on the national team and other club teams, but I do not know how well they are doing now. The others I have never heard of before. Can anyone help me out?

//I was going to put this post in the original footie footie footie thread, but it was resently closed. So feel free to help me with my questions. Or just ignore them and make your own typical footie footie footie comments.

There are some good american players: I personally like Friedel (not bad for a goalie), Reina was good, and McBride is pretty decent. However, the trouble with America is the lack of exposure of football. Once the US realises it is more than a sport for women, and that the rest of the world only thinks about football when it comes to sports; then we'd be talking about world class american footballers. It is virtually impossible to find top tier football players in countries without a footballing culture: children in Europe, South America and Africa are all playing footie in the streets, parks, beaches, fields, sandpits etc since they are old enough to kick a football. All of them are rabid supporters of their own city football club and idol worship players from their nation who triumph in the big european leagues. Now, the moment you see in any random american city masses of groups of children playing footie in their backyards, streets and during the lunch breaks while at school; the next generation is going to have some excellent players. All this argument is a tautology, but well, there's a perennial lack of interest for football in the US... therein lies the rub.

In another front. My Good Lord! Fabregas is absolutely brilliant! :wideeyed: The level of his game is astounding... he has accepted to fill Henry's shoes without a blink... wonderful leadership and excellent decisions. We most certainly should give a serious thought on building the national team around him... perhaps are way to glory after all these gloomy decades? :|

Enjoy him, you Arse fans... :devil: but not too much...something tells him we'll make yet another offensive for him this summer and he'll finally come to the Bernabeu.. :drool:

Adu is in the doghouse due to his lack of fitness

No, not fitness. The south americans were not properly fit either and they played and are getting better ( Camacho is pushing Cardozo badly). Problem with Adu is he does not have a clue about positioning or reading game. I saw a game between under-15s this year ( Barcelona and Benfica, final of a tournament) where I would say all the 15 year olds were far better than Adu at that particularly Barcelona´s tactically ( Benfica´s kids were better technically and at individual creative moves though). In any case, give him time, he might have a shot and in any case he was cheap enough, not a lot of pressure on him.

Jon, congrats on the victory over Stuttgart! First what is the matter with both those teams and mustaches?!? Second, yay for Diego, growing up nicely isn´t he? And is Hugo Almeida OK? Local news are not saying how serious his injury is, though it got pointed out he scored twice in 54 seconds, wonder what the record is, 54 seconds seems ahem fast. Not sure he holding up Diego on just one arm in celebration is safe, Diego is not small but that was not how he was injured so....

PS - oh, just remembered the most delicious tidbit. Bayern is coming to play Belenenses in Lisbon. Now their Restelo stadium has not the proper papers to host UEFA competition games, so they asked for the loan of Sporting´s Alvalade - unless they managed to change things or something. The delicious bit is the state of the pitch at Alvalade, it was replaced in August and it already pretty much resembles a war front during world war I. Could be a record the time this pitch "lasts". Not sure how Bayern will play on it. I still can not see Belenenses scoring two to go through but Jorge Jesus might be able to think of a way to use the pitch to his advantage.

but not too much...something tells him we'll make yet another offensive for him this summer and he'll finally come to the Bernabeu.. :drool:

dear, that is a psychological condition over there, you got to stop that. You drool and want and really think you are going to get all flavours of the month, every month...

Jon, congrats on the victory over Stuttgart! First what is the matter with both those teams and mustaches?!? Second, yay for Diego, growing up nicely isn´t he? And is Hugo Almeida OK? Local news are not saying how serious his injury is, though it got pointed out he scored twice in 54 seconds, wonder what the record is, 54 seconds seems ahem fast.

Yes, the team is getting back on track. Also, Diego just signed a contract extension. Not that that means much, but at least he won't leave on the cheap. Now if only some of the injured players would recover. If Almeida is out for longer (no news on that yet) there will only be 15 fit first team players, I think. And 54 seconds is a record, yes.

I must admit I have no idea what exactly you are asking about mustaches thoug. Could you elaborate?

Diego cost you relatively cheap from Porto didn´t he?

About the mustaches, just teasing, I saw some of the coaching staff ( not sure which team though) wearing a few and was remembering how Klose was your player. I guess nostalgia, if one watches old footage from 1980s portuguese football it was like everybody wore mustaches...

Enjoy him, you Arse fans... :devil: but not too much...something tells him we'll make yet another offensive for him this summer and he'll finally come to the Bernabeu.. :drool:

I was led to believe that there is a clause in his contract that says that should he decide to move back to Spain, then Barcelona had first choice.

Leeds beat Swansea 2-0 to make it 7 straight wins, something we haven't seen since the Revie era. Just hoping that we can keep it up.

Man Utd and Chelsea are on tonight (Oz time) so it looks like I'll be having a late night. I'm gonna say 3-1 to United. I hope Grant has the team play a more attacking brand of football

dear, that is a psychological condition over there, you got to stop that. You drool and want and really think you are going to get all flavours of the month, every month...

Yeah, we're that uppity and snobbish... that makes us at least marginally better than those nouveaux riches at Chelski... why, been above the lowsliest scum feeding parasite in the dankest and filthiest pond makes us the 2nd lowliest scum feeding parasite in the dankest and filthiest pond... :P

Although I seriously tell you, I am fed up with that idiot of Calderón... Bragging and gloating in public about how puissant and fabulous we are, and how we are going to land Kaká, Fabregas, Robben, Pelé, Maradona and St Peter and all that crap. Bloody idiot. As bad as Abramovich. Real Madrid was never like that (Florentino Perez and Santiago Bernabeu put the accent on excellence and constant superation and bla bla bla bla... a whole different focus than that jerk of Calderón), and it's especially embarrasing given we haven't bleeding done nothing in Europe the last 4 years, and how we managed to win La Liga in the last second. :blush: That's partly why we have to pay 30M€ for Pepe (I'd change his name to Don José or Sir Joseph after that price tag) and 40M€ for Robben. :rolleyes: And it makes us hated, now that's something we've never been (that much, at least)

Diego cost you relatively cheap from Porto didn´t he?

Yeah, something like 6 million Euros, which still was then a club record.;)

About the mustaches, just teasing, I saw some of the coaching staff ( not sure which team though) wearing a few and was remembering how Klose was your player. I guess nostalgia, if one watches old footage from 1980s portuguese football it was like everybody wore mustaches...

I don't recall Klose ever having a mustache, nor actually any other current German international. Are you perhaps thinking of Kuranyi?

And back in the eighties everyone did wear mustaches.;)

Mike Dean has ruined an exciting football match. The first 30 minutes was great stuff. United was going all out and Cech had a great save against Rooney. First Dean doesn't give a penalty against Joe Cole and then he sends off Mikel. That was harsh. Now it's just another game in the rain.

Joe Cole deserved to be sent off more than Mikel. His tackle was nastier and more calculated.

I think Avram Grant is part vampire. I wouldn't want to run into him in a dark alley.

Edited: No need for another post.

Now it's just another game in the rain.
:lol: Damn. And there's shitloads of them to get through before the end of the season.

Agree on unfathomable ref decisions though. They are making it harder and harder to enjoy the sport. Add that to the OTT media involvement in every aspect and I'm getting a bit tired of football atm.

I think I'm going to throw up. I mean, I cannot say I expected to win this one, but the manner in which it was lost was ludicrous and sickening. Mikel did not deserve that red card, and one other Chelsea player got off with what could've been a red card (I think it was Joe Cole) later in the match... and I suppose it's subjective, but it seemed to me that he should've blown the whistle very shortly after the corner at the end of the 1st half; that goal came nearly three minutes in. And the new coach looks like an ogre.

Are you perhaps thinking of Kuranyi?

And back in the eighties everyone did wear mustaches.;)

Oh, not Kuranyi, the face I had in mind was Klose with a mustache, weird, superimposing something there? And yes about the eighties, it seems the early 80s had these very very short shorts and beards which later evolved to mustaches. Let me know if you got any news about Hugo´s injury - I obviously got an interest there. Plus curiosity, he is such an unusual type of player for us. BTW does he get to take long range free kicks at Werder?

About Manchester United-Chelsea, just saw the highlights. Poor Patrice Evra btw seemed like it was ganging up on him day. Joe Cole, well, that looked like a red card to me anyplace. ZOMG, Saha doing a Panenka on Cech. Cech is really IMO not good at penalty kicks, weird considering how very good he is at everything else. And portuguese tv was showing Marco van Basten on the stands as the guest of Abramovich... Oh, if russia´s dutch coach is not available get holland´s dutch coach? Plus might feel flattering to Abramovich, Gullit was coach of Chelsea? Abramovich can try again with van Basten or who knows Rijkaard. Also on news, mind boggling behind the scenes stories from Chelsea. While Mourinho was taking a press conference, Abramovich giving a tactical briefing to Essien using Shevchenko as a translator. Essien. Essien! ( from Chelsea´s team, I would say the one most likely to just about walk into any XI in the world and not needing particularly tactical briefing would be Essien). Geesh. Told that i can see mutual consent from Mourinho´s part, who ever would want to stay? January transfer season is going to be interesting.

Loras, will be right back to you.

Yeah, we're that uppity and snobbish... that makes us at least marginally better than those nouveaux riches at Chelski...

Well, I got to say regarding Robben, the nouveau riche money splurging was not quite Chelsea´s - Malouda was to me a better buy than Robben. But fess up, Malouda probably did not have enough cachet to make headlines no?

why, been above the lowsliest scum feeding parasite in the dankest and filthiest pond makes us the 2nd lowliest scum feeding parasite in the dankest and filthiest pond... :P

and at least we, your "we" and my "we", have copies of the european cup back home. Chelsea will have some time to go before they get even as many as *us* :P

Although I seriously tell you, I am fed up with that idiot of Calderón... Bragging and gloating in public about how puissant and fabulous we are, and how we are going to land Kaká, Fabregas, Robben, Pelé, Maradona and St Peter and all that crap. Bloody idiot. As bad as Abramovich.

Sorry, I object to that "as bad", unless Calderón ever feels urges to give tactical brieds to Essien, ahem, say Guti how to play. Ok, Guti might be a good idea sometimes, but you know what I mean...

Real Madrid was never like that (Florentino Perez and Santiago Bernabeu put the accent on excellence and constant superation and bla bla bla bla... a whole different focus than that jerk of Calderón), and it's especially embarrasing given we haven't bleeding done nothing in Europe the last 4 years, and how we managed to win La Liga in the last second. :blush:

To me, the problem with the galacticos was not that it did not work, it was that it did work, at first, and very nicely so, till Beckham. OTOH feeling sorry for yourself for going 4 years without winning the CL is not going to get you much sympathy around these parts. You got teams like Lyon who never even won it despite being always considered sort of favorites for one day. And you did won the league. Which is not something that small.

That's partly why we have to pay 30M€ for Pepe (I'd change his name to Don José or Sir Joseph after that price tag) and 40M€ for Robben. :rolleyes: And it makes us hated, now that's something we've never been (that much, at least)

I don´t agree, paying for Pepe or Robben is going to make you far less hated than constant rumors of going for whoever is flavour of the month, unstabilizing players. i remember a portuguese NT "estágio" ( what is it called in english?) in Spring which was a complete circus for example. Not that I think Real madrid is particularly hated, I can´t recall you being convicted for match fixing or being notorious for hiring leg breakers on purpose, or obnoxious fan behaviour. About Pepe, no connection to José in portuguese, the name is even fancier, he is called Kepler, ah found it on wikipedia Képler Laveran Lima Ferreira. Now that is bang for your buck. How is he playing?

PS- forgot to add, saw a bit of yesterday´s Barça-Sevilla. First *their* pink away shirts are much much uglier than ours. And was that Iniesta playing as a winger? and playing good (IMO. from what I have seen.) ?

:lol: Damn. And there's shitloads of them to get through before the end of the season.

Agree on unfathomable ref decisions though. They are making it harder and harder to enjoy the sport. Add that to the OTT media involvement in every aspect and I'm getting a bit tired of football atm.

True, but on the bright side, at least this week starts the true football season. Yes, it is the League Cup!! There's no finer cup competition in the world!!

I can barely sleep in anticipation.

It´s a can of worms to even think of it, but saw again the replay on tv of the Man Utd-Chelsea match and IMO Joe Cole should have got two red cards ( and one penalty kick given) and Obi Mikel while it seems fair enough it also seems strict. Plus Terry touching the ref´s cards, there is a u-20 portuguese player under a year´s ban because of something like that. And well Cole and Terry are english and english internationals, Obi Mikel and Evra are not and are well, black. Like that mess of Chelsea and Arsenal a few months ago where everybody with cards was black and people like Fabregas who seemed to be doing worse walked. Can of worms to even think of it, but well, maybe there is indeed a bias there. Because Joe Cole, that was two red cards IMO, and a ban ( plus, if he tried that against some teams, he would get beat up for sure for it).

True, but on the bright side, at least this week starts the true football season. Yes, it is the League Cup!! There's no finer cup competition in the world!!

I can barely sleep in anticipation.

Yep. Could really do without it this year. Teams should be allowed to say: sorry, can't arsed with the league cup this season.

Archived