Mistborn

Relic

Bumping this as I just finished this series. Really enjoying Sanderson's writing style so far. It's light, but in a surprisingly good way. I've read 4 of his books now and I never felt bogged down at any point. The negative being that I doubt I'll ever do a re-read because it's not deep enough to keep me interested. Very 'plot oriented' writing vs 'character oriented'. The characters are somewhat shallow and one dimensional, the world building can be confusing at times, but the action scenes and plot progression are absolutely top notch. Kind of a yin to ASOIAF's yang, good in their own respective ways that are completely different. The ending is top notch and really twists everything you read up until that point. I'm also a sucker for bittersweet and felt this nailed that.

Taking a break from Sanderson until WoR that releases in March (love this series so far), after which I'll pick up his Alloy of Law.

March can not come soon enough for me! I've blown thru almost every one of Sanderson books. I only have steelheart left to finish

Yeah, I can't wait. Already have it pre-ordered so it will download automatically to my tablet as I sleep :)

• 5 months later...

Shadows of Self, the next Mistborn novel, was tentatively set for release in the fall of 2014. Sanderson gave an update in late June:

Sigh. Too many books, too little time.

This one is still on the, um, middle burner? Stormlight is my primary project, and I feel I need to be consistent with getting those out. (With 18 month gaps at the most, if possible.) So we'll see where I can slip Shadows of Self in--most likely, I'll write it next summer.

Shadows of Self, the next Mistborn novel, was tentatively set for release in the fall of 2014. Sanderson gave an update in late June:

I forgot it was tentatively scheduled for this year. I wasn't expecting it for at least another year. I'm glad he expects Stormlight 3 to be out next fall, since his assistant Peter said he expected it to take more than 2 years IIRC

Will look forward to it, if he can curb his witty exchanges between Wax and Wayne to times when they actually occur naturally or flow with the conversation and aren't stupidly contrived.

Well, I'll enjoy it anyway, cause I always enjoy Sanderson's stuff, no matter how much certain small aspects irritate me.

Keep on going, Sanderman.

• 1 month later...

I finished the Mistborn trilogy a couple months ago and loved it. Very glad to hear there will be more books.

The plan was three trilogies:

One set in a fantasy setting, which you just read

One set in a contemporary setting

One set in a futuristic setting

He then wrote The Alloy of Law as a western themed short story to take place long before the contemporary trilogy. But it turned into a full novel, although short for Sanderson. Now he is making a full trilogy out of the western setting. But these ate still only shorter fun stories that are outside the master plan.

I believe he still plans to write the other two trilogies some day, but his hands are so full right now.

The plan was three trilogies:

One set in a fantasy setting, which you just read

One set in a contemporary setting

One set in a futuristic setting

He then wrote The Alloy of Law as a western themed short story to take place long before the contemporary trilogy. But it turned into a full novel, although short for Sanderson. Now he is making a full trilogy out of the western setting. But these ate still only shorter fun stories that are outside the master plan.

I believe he still plans to write the other two trilogies some day, but his hands are so full right now.

I heard he was planning that, but due to the lack of news I stopped waiting for new announcements.

Trying to top the first trilogy in terms of scope would be hard. We just had battles featuring several armies, thousands of koloss, an immortal dictator, and gods. So it makes sense that the second trilogy would be somewhat quieter. But I wouldn't be surprised if the last trilogy was more ambitious.

I heard he was planning that, but due to the lack of news I stopped waiting for new announcements.

Trying to top the first trilogy in terms of scope would be hard. We just had battles featuring several armies, thousands of koloss, an immortal dictator, and gods. So it makes sense that the second trilogy would be somewhat quieter. But I wouldn't be surprised if the last trilogy was more ambitious.

But he hasn't started the second trilogy. These books he is writing now are a bonus. If he gets around to the other two planned trilogies, they will be ambitious.

But he hasn't started the second trilogy. These books he is writing now are a bonus. If he gets around to the other two planned trilogies, they will be ambitious.

I thought these two new books, along with The Alloy of Law, would be the second trilogy. So there'll be four trilogies in total then?

I thought these two new books, along with The Alloy of Law, would be the second trilogy. So there'll be four trilogies in total then?

Yes, but my point was that these western ones are outside of the original plan and are more throwaway. That's not meant as an insult, but this trilogy is what Sanderson calls "minor" works. The original trilogy and the planned contemporary and futuristic ones are "major". But his current "major" focus is Stormlight.

Yes, but my point was that these western ones are outside of the original plan and are more throwaway. That's not meant as an insult, but this trilogy is what Sanderson calls "minor" works. The original trilogy and the planned contemporary and futuristic ones are "major". But his current "major" focus is Stormlight.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Mistborn is turning into a pretty big series (not that I mind).

Last I heard the plan was for him to take a break from Stormlight after book 5 and write the second Mistborn trilogy then.

Also, here's a Tumblr post about the Sanderson books coming out in the next couple years. Apparently Shadows of Self might be out in fall 2015, although that would imply a change of plans from releasing it after Stormlight 3, so 2016 might be more likely.

• 3 months later...

Tor Books and Gollancz have announced the publication dates of Mistborn: Shadows of Self & Mistborn: Bands of Mourning :

Mistborn: Shadows of Self will be coming in October 2015.

And then, very quickly afterwards, in January 2016 a second new novel; Mistborn: Bands of Mourning.

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2014/12/announcing-the-publication-date-of-mistborn-shadows-of-self/

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/12/mistborn-alloy-of-law-sequels

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-december-2014/

Archived