College Football 2007

Bronn Stone

I still think LSU plays in the title game. The other slot is wide open.

Discuss.

I don't think LSU gets there, but most of that belief stems from me being a huge Auburn homer and thinking that we take care of the Bayou Bengals in Baton Rouge Saturday night.

As for the rest, who the fuck knows? Honestly, this year has been the single strangest college football season in my lifetime. So that said, I think it's going to be the Oregon Ducks playing the South Carolina Gamecocks in the BCS national title game.

I'm not confident LSU can beat Florida on a neutral field for a second time. There last three games haven't inspired a ton of confidence that this team is a shoo in. In addition, they seem to struggle away from home. Even the Miss St game's final score masked a poor first half where they probably deserved to be behind if not for the incompentent QB play of the Bulldogs. I also think USF and Ohio State have a decent chance to run the tables in their respective leagues. USF has the Auburn win out of conference and OSU is just too big of a name for voters to allow LSU (or whoever else is the best 1 loss team) to jump them.

I guess I'm calling OSU v. USF in the most shocking BCS title game ever.

Any chance we see a two loss team play for the title this year?

I'll be really ticked off if a two loss team does play for the title, unless there's no more one loss teams to take the spot. I guess that could happen.

Ohio State is in if they win out. And since the polls count more than the computers, USF will probably get skipped by a one loss SEC or Big 12 champ. It's not fair, and I'd love to think a one loss ACC champ could get in as well but that doesn't seem likely. Oregon is another outside chance to jump an undefeated USF. If they win out their only loss would be to a ranked team, but their profile might not be big enough to sway the voters.

i agree that the polls will likely never go away, but i kinda like them and don't see them as an ultimate evil. in all reality, the polls are just tools, its the people that generate these polls that need a change. i think it was rece davis who first put this out there on espn but i totally agree with it: the problem is that everyone stays too true to their initial poll. leapfrogging should be commonplace. let me give you a scenario...

I like the polls too, as much as they often fire me up. Last night Lou Holtz and Mark May were arguing over their respective top 5 rankings. Basically some people choose their rankings based on that team's resume this season, and others rank teams based on who they think would win on a neutral field. In the first option you could make a strong case for S. Florida being ranked #1, defeating a ranked Auburn on the road, and upsetting #5 West Virginia. In the second option you could make a case for LSU not moving an inch even after yesterday's loss. Clearly they are beatable, but I still think LSU could beat almost any team on any given day. I think most people use the second option, which is where people's perceptions get in the way.

ETA: Dear God, South Florida is #2 in the AP. I'm going to drive downtown today and slap Rodriguez for losing that game, God damnit.

I'm still mystified by Oklahoma (maybe biased) at 4 over both 1-loss LSU and 1-loss South Carolina. I think if LSU and South Carolina win out (convincingly), the winner of their SEC champ game should go to the NC game. I'm not convinced BC and USF go undefeated, they still have some tough teams to go through.

Ohio State is the interesting team. The still have to play Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan.

#24 Michigan is the only team ranked in the top 25 that OSU will have played all season based on the current projections.

That being said, I could see a 1-loss Pac-10 (Cal or Oregon) team jumping an undefeated Ohio State. OSU's name helps a lot and they've been playing good football, but they aren't really tested. They haven't had any really high pressure situations or national title spotlight game. I definitely don't see them winning the NC game if they do go.

A 2-loss team really should not be even mentioned for the title game. Florida could give a good game, but they wouldn't deserve to be there.

to stay on topic, lsu is still one of the elite teams in the country, especially with that defense. their offense is a bunch of no names mostly but they are well coached and play outstanding team ball.

there are several one loss teams that are still viable, though. oklahoma still looks really good, oregon looks outstanding. ohio state, although playing subpar opponents, IMO, are undefeated and south florida did steam roll the chump that they played. i really feel that BC will lose, with the way things are going, i feel that, right now, the likely NC game will be:

oregon v. oklahoma

it would be lsu v. okalahoma, but like mike, i'm a huge auburn homer and after basically shutting down florida/tebow (at the swamp), stomping a vandy team that took georgia to the wire, and then shutting down both mcfadden and jones (in fayetteville), i like our chances against lsu's offense. our offense...we look efficient when we're hitting and downright disgusting when we aren't so...:dunno:

I think Zook made the right decision. Illinois was this close to pulling it out.

It sounds like you’re suggesting that Zook is essentially using Williams and McGee like teams use 2 RBs.

It’s hard for me to consider this rotation a spot call based on what's not working since Zook hasn’t mixed it up, it’s 2nd half, usually more toward the 4th quarter when McGee comes in. (Exception being when Williams was stayed out due to possible concussion from middle 2nd on during the Mizzou game).

I dunno, maybe it’s part of his game plan, regardless of what's going on.… Juice first with his strengths, then McGee and his. It’s hard to imagine egos don’t interfere, but I’ve not seen any evidence of it (yet). Maybe because they’re young and just working on climbing out of the cellar.

Anyway, it’s strange, I haven’t seen anything like it before, but maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, though. But since I haven't heard of anything similar, and usually when teams go back and forth between QBs they're in bad shape, it's hard not to have reservations, you know?

As far as OSU, yeah.. I’m withholding judgment until I see how they finish the season but at this point, I would worry about sending them off to the NC game.

When Lou Holtz declared Kansas deserved the second spot in the polls I realized the man has finally lost it. He needs to be off the air immediately.

I usually give Lou a lot of slack but that one was a bit of a head-scratcher. Kansas is undefeated but their only victory of note is against a #24 K State, maybe they should be higher than #15 but I think #2 is laughable.

I usually give Lou a lot of slack but that one was a bit of a head-scratcher. Kansas is undefeated but their only victory of note is against a #24 K State, maybe they should be higher than #15 but I think #2 is laughable.

It makes more sense the having Ohio State as #1. They haven't played a single team that has been ranked at any time this season. Hawaii has a tougher schedule. I think in his own crazy way Lou was trying to say something about overrated teams. He could also be an idiot. Really, until I read this I had forgotten about Kansas and Arizona State.

It makes more sense the having Ohio State as #1. They haven't played a single team that has been ranked at any time this season. Hawaii has a tougher schedule.

To nitpick, Purdue has been ranked this season. And Hawaii's schedule is even worse.

At least they beat the teams they're supposed to by huge margins, unlike Cal, USC, or Okie. However, USF should be ranked in front of them for now.

Fair enough. They did Purdue. That still shouldn't be the signature game for a #1 team. USF or BC deserve it more right now.

Ughh...USF is a joke at #2, much less #1. Yeah, I know they're undefeated, but c'mon. LSU, USC-west, USC-east, Cal, Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma would beat them by double digits, no question in my mind. I think BC and VT beat them too. Don't get me wrong, I give them props for doing so well in their 11th season playing football (ever) - but they are not the 2nd best team, and barely deserving of the top 10, IMO. I still think they have multiple losses by seasons end.

As for BC...I agree, they deserve to be #1. Only because I want to see a #1 team get smoked in Lane Stadium two Thursdays from now.

Got to take issue with BC deserving the number one spot. Much like OSU, Kansas, Arizona State and especially Hawaii they haven't beaten anyone of note. Georgia Tech, NC State, Army, UMass, Bowling Green, ND, and Wake Forest does not a number 1 team make.

USF's victories over Auburn and WVa are by far the most impressive of the group.

As for BC...I agree, they deserve to be #1. Only because I want to see a #1 team get smoked in Lane Stadium two Thursdays from now.

I think BC loses that game too though I don't know about being smoked. The rest of the season for them will be tough. VT, FSU, Clemson, Maryland, Miami. BC's going through that with a giant target painted on their back.

I think BC loses that game too though I don't know about being smoked. The rest of the season for them will be tough. VT, FSU, Clemson, Maryland, Miami. BC's going through that with a giant target painted on their back.

Correction. Boston College is going through that with an orange and maroon flag planted on their back.

Archived