College Football 2007

Bronn Stone

Ouch. That sucks. Colvin too? Gah. Johnson was good but not essential, but losing both starting WRs is going to hurt - especially going down this stretch.

Still, I think we have the weapons to beat USC and ASU, especially when our defense is playing at that level.

South Florida plays at Rutgers this week if I'm not mistaken. That place is a nuthouse these days. Louisville was in USF's place at this time last year.

Undefeated... check.

Some big wins under their belt... check.

Inside track to the NC game with the anticipated loss of either Michigan or OSU... check.

All the SEC teams already having one loss... check.

Rutgers is a giant killer in the Big East. And if they get past Rutgers this weekend, they still have a down but still dangerous Louisville team on the next to the last weekend of the season.

Then we play 7-2 (probably) Wisconsin, who will be ranked as long as they continue to win.

I don't think so. They were 19 this week and got absolutely hosed by Penn State, who were unranked, one week after showing their overratedness (I made that word up) against Illinois. Wisconsin is not a good team, and I'll be stunned if they're in the top 25 after this week.

I don't think so. They were 19 this week and got absolutely hosed by Penn State, who were unranked, one week after showing their overratedness (I made that word up) against Illinois. Wisconsin is not a good team, and I'll be stunned if they're in the top 25 after this week.

They aren't in the top 25 anymore. I've noticed that Virginia has managed to sneak into the BCS at #19. Guess the computers give them credit for beating undefeated UCONN at home even though it was close.

They aren't in the top 25 anymore. I've noticed that Virginia has managed to sneak into the BCS at #19. Guess the computers give them credit for beating undefeated UCONN at home even though it was close.

UConn has football? :P

UConn has football? :P

Haha, their future is intriguing. They have a decent coach and a small but devoted fanbase. They also have a new stadium to play, and their school already has some brand value due to the basketball team. Good sized school, has some decent rivalries in the BE, and has northeast recruiting to themselves.

Well Ken S, looks like it isn't a wet dream anymore. Nebraska just fired the AD.

Personally, I agree with Pederson firing Solich, just that his replacement, Callahan, sucked.

The wet dream wasn't Pedersen getting fired. That was pretty much a done deal. The wet dream is Tom Osborn taking over as AD.

USF's advantage over Louisville and WVU is that their strength is defense. Offensively oriented teams are prone to having off-nights. Defenses are more consistently good or bad, and USF's defense is consistently good.

As soon as/If BC or USF lose a game, they're going to drop a lot further in the polls than Cal, Oklahoma, and USC when those teams were in those spots.

It's a little early, but I'm leaning towards Rutgers over USF on Thursday. It should be a good defensive matchup but I thinking the home field advantage and this being a new experience for the Bulls will be too much.

Well, I finally have a chance to post after seeing the new Stanford stadium for the first time. It was much easier to see the game, of course, without the track in the way. And the seats were more comfortable as well, though I ended up standing for most of the game. Surprisingly, it didn't seem any louder than the old stadium.

I was disappointed in the attendance. (And it's too bad you missed it, DVD.) They announced about 37000 tickets sold (out of 50000), but I think actual attendance was probably around 30000. Maybe the inconsistent start times have something to do with it. When I was a student, all the home games started at 2PM. Nowadays, with TV, the start times are all over the place. I know that keeps my father from buying season tickets, and I'm sure there are others.

As to the game itself... now that's the Stanford football I remember. Flashes of decent offense, take a lead into the fourth quarter, only to lose in the end. Still, it's much better than in past years. I predict we win two more games this season.

The second half of the season's going to be really interesting in the Pac-10. Oregon/Cal is the only game so far this season featuring two teams from the top half of the conference. I wouldn't be shocked if every Pac-10 team has at least 2 in-conference losses when all is said and done.

As far as national questions go... depending on what Hawai'i does the rest of the way, there are either three or four at-large bids to BCS games this year. Which conferences will get them, do you think?

As soon as/If BC or USF lose a game, they're going to drop a lot further in the polls than Cal, Oklahoma, and USC when those teams were in those spots.

It's a little early, but I'm leaning towards Rutgers over USF on Thursday. It should be a good defensive matchup but I thinking the home field advantage and this being a new experience for the Bulls will be too much.

I think it depends on who they lose too. The computers are in the mix now, and only three of them even had USC in the top 25, while they almost unanimously put USF in #1. Strength of schedule is obviously the biggest factor there. When BC loses to Tech next week they won't be dropped too far in any of the polls, I think. Probably just behind the strong two loss teams from the SEC. South Florida might drop farther because they stand to lose to anyone at anytime, and their only opponent with any respectability right now is Cincinatti.

Well, I finally have a chance to post after seeing the new Stanford stadium for the first time. It was much easier to see the game, of course, without the track in the way. And the seats were more comfortable as well, though I ended up standing for most of the game. Surprisingly, it didn't seem any louder than the old stadium.

I was disappointed in the attendance. (And it's too bad you missed it, DVD.) They announced about 37000 tickets sold (out of 50000), but I think actual attendance was probably around 30000. Maybe the inconsistent start times have something to do with it. When I was a student, all the home games started at 2PM. Nowadays, with TV, the start times are all over the place. I know that keeps my father from buying season tickets, and I'm sure there are others.

As to the game itself... now that's the Stanford football I remember. Flashes of decent offense, take a lead into the fourth quarter, only to lose in the end. Still, it's much better than in past years. I predict we win two more games this season.

The second half of the season's going to be really interesting in the Pac-10. Oregon/Cal is the only game so far this season featuring two teams from the top half of the conference. I wouldn't be shocked if every Pac-10 team has at least 2 in-conference losses when all is said and done.

As far as national questions go... depending on what Hawai'i does the rest of the way, there are either three or four at-large bids to BCS games this year. Which conferences will get them, do you think?

I actually did end up making it for the whole second half. It was fun, and they played decent football; it's kind of annoying trying to make sure the student section makes noise when we're on D, and shuts up when we're on offense... folks here are kinda clueless about the game.

That facemask penalty, though, was ridiculous (I mean, it was a clear penalty, but also the dumbest one I've seen a player take this year).

Maybe. I know Rutgers fields a decent football team, but they aren't as scary to me now as they were at the beginning of the year. If the Bulls do lose that game I hope it causes them to lose confidence and lose a second one.

As far as WV's remaining schedule is concerened, I'm actually worried about Louisville. It'd be just like them to play their only perfect game of the season against WVU.

That reminds me, Louisville is only 3 weeks away. I better put up my anti-Louisville avatar.

Rutgers hasn't exactly set the world on fire so put me down for a USF win.

I'm also gonna call Auburn over LSU. I think the Alabama based Tigers have improved enough to take down LSU. I think a lot of the Baton Rouge based hype is based on one game against VA Tech and I think this team may implode. Or I may be blinded by my hatred for Les Miles.

I also clearly erred when I mentally penciled Florida in to the title game. As a Cal fan I'd love to be able to claim we beat SEC East champion Tennesseee. So go Vols.

I'm also gonna call Auburn over LSU. I think the Alabama based Tigers have improved enough to take down LSU. I think a lot of the Baton Rouge based hype is based on one game against VA Tech and I think this team may implode. Or I may be blinded by my hatred for Les Miles.

I feel that way too, but it seems to me that playing LSU in Baton Rouge borders on unfair. They have one hell of a home field advantage.

I feel that way too, but it seems to me that playing LSU in Baton Rouge borders on unfair. They have one hell of a home field advantage.

Damn, I thought the game was on the Plains. LSU really has one nice home schedule lined up. With the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans they could basically have nine home games. On the plus side guess theres very llittle chance of a repeat next year if they do win it all.

Rutgers hasn't exactly set the world on fire so put me down for a USF win.

I share the sentiment on Les Miles.

I'll take Rutgers over USF, though; I think Schiano has injected enough pride into their program to get them up for this game. It would help validate their season a little; they started off basically cruising on reputation, and have now found out that you need to play hard every week.

Archived