Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

Werthead

I felt it was sort of good that it wasn't explained, among with other things. Just like the way that Bayaz uses magic and the way the spirits come and go, it seems mysterious. The characters don't know, they just think its spooky all round, so the reader thinks the same.

But Bethod's alliance with the Shanka might have had something to do with that witch of his. The one with the golden chains that smoked the battlefield during BTAH. She could have turned the Feared from an ordinary man into a tank.

Also, there are probably giants far up north, along with the hillmen. Somewhere at least, Tul Duru/The Feared.

Hell, none of those comments I made probably explained anything, I just love Joe's books to pieces.

Feared himself said he was from Glustrod, so he is from the Other Side or basically half from the other side. He is not from the north, that much I can recall, but I just wanted to know how did Bethod get this magic dude.

I'm reading the 2nd book the now and loving it. I never really got the how everyone raved about what a great character Glokta is. I only saw bits towards the end of TBI where I liked how he was written.

What a difference in BTAH! I'm at the bit where he talks about mens nipples. It had me pissing myself, cringing and filled me with disgust all at the same time. But he has been alot freakier in this book, alot scarier aswel.

Got really high hopes for the rest of the book as I'm really enjoying ir.

I'm reading the 2nd book the now and loving it. I never really got the how everyone raved about what a great character Glokta is. I only saw bits towards the end of TBI where I liked how he was written.

What a difference in BTAH! I'm at the bit where he talks about mens nipples. It had me pissing myself, cringing and filled me with disgust all at the same time. But he has been alot freakier in this book, alot scarier aswel.

Got really high hopes for the rest of the book as I'm really enjoying ir.

Dude don't come in here, because this thread has A LOT of spoilers about Book 3

It was never really explained how Bethod was able to ally himself with the Shanka, how he got a hold of Feared, and where the hell did that witch come out from?

Damn. You're right. It wasn't.

I just kinda forgot about all those things once Bethod got killed. I would kinda like to know that.

Damn. You're right. It wasn't.

I just kinda forgot about all those things once Bethod got killed. I would kinda like to know that.

The most weird shit was that Shanka are from Aulcus, and somehow they found their way up in the very very north, and Bethod got hold of them and the Feared. Part of me thinks the witch was maybe a follower of Khalul, or someone with the same dark arts?

The most weird shit was that Shanka are from Aulcus, and somehow they found their way up in the very very north, and Bethod got hold of them and the Feared. Part of me thinks the witch was maybe a follower of Khalul, or someone with the same dark arts?

Well, I don't think we know the Shanka were just from Aulcus.

They were created by Glustrod (I think?) during the war, but there's no reason to think that they weren't also used in the North during the war and the Shanka there have just been there for generations.

At one point during the second book, I was sure Bethod was a minion of Khalul. But then we learned that he was helped along by Bayaz, right? Why do you think Bayaz was doing that? The war in the North nearly caused the demise of the Union.

Well, I don't think we know the Shanka were just from Aulcus.

They were created by Glustrod (I think?) during the war, but there's no reason to think that they weren't also used in the North during the war and the Shanka there have just been there for generations.

At one point during the second book, I was sure Bethod was a minion of Khalul. But then we learned that he was helped along by Bayaz, right? Why do you think Bayaz was doing that? The war in the North nearly caused the demise of the Union.

But it also set up all the right political machinations to put his puppet on the throne. With no war, there's no plausible way to kill off the current royal family, there's no heroic backstory for Jezal, etc.

But it also set up all the right political machinations to put his puppet on the throne. With no war, there's no plausible way to kill off the current royal family, there's no heroic backstory for Jezal, etc.

Jezal didn't get his backstory by fighting in the north though. He got it from going on the quest with Bayaz and from helping put down the peasant revolt. The war in the North did nothing to help Jezal. Now, Ladisla getting killed up there did help Bayaz, but that was more a happy coincidence than anything. He certainly didn't cause Ladisla's death. If Ladisla had not gone North, I am sure Bayaz would have found some other way to remove him from succession.

Jezal didn't get his backstory by fighting in the north though. He got it from going on the quest with Bayaz and from helping put down the peasant revolt. The war in the North did nothing to help Jezal. Now, Ladisla getting killed up there did help Bayaz, but that was more a happy coincidence than anything. He certainly didn't cause Ladisla's death. If Ladisla had not gone North, I am sure Bayaz would have found some other way to remove him from succession.

Bethod was helped by Bayaz, but then he got out of hand and waged war? I don't think the War in the North was by manipulation of Bayaz. The War in the North was more like you said a coincidence. Also the attack at Dagoska was no engineered by Bayaz, it was just Khalul making the emperor wage war agaisnt the Union to get at Bayaz.

Bethod was helped by Bayaz, but then he got out of hand and waged war? I don't think the War in the North was by manipulation of Bayaz. The War in the North was more like you said a coincidence. Also the attack at Dagoska was no engineered by Bayaz, it was just Khalul making the emperor wage war agaisnt the Union to get at Bayaz.

So you think the war in the North was just a mistake on Bayaz's part? Because it seems like if Bethod had not been helped by Bayaz to unite the North, it never would have become a threat to the Union. By helping Bethod united the North, Bayaz nearly brought down the Union.

So you think the war in the North was just a mistake on Bayaz's part? Because it seems like if Bethod had not been helped by Bayaz to unite the North, it never would have become a threat to the Union. By helping Bethod united the North, Bayaz nearly brought down the Union.

Had they not been in such dire straights however, the council might have been more likely to have picked a known quantity rather than the heroic Jezal dan Luther!

Had they not been in such dire straights however, the council might have been more likely to have picked a known quantity rather than the heroic Jezal dan Luther!

That's a fair point. But it seems like if he'd played his cards right, Bayaz could have gotten the same effect by waiting until the Ghurkish invaded the Union. Only the army would have been relatively close at hand the entire time. If the war in the North was part of Bayaz's plan, it nearly backfired on him.

That's right, I forgot about that part where Bayaz helped unite the north, then I guess Bethod got too big for Bayaz's taste, or Bayaz just changed focus and Bayaz got loose.

That's a fair point. But it seems like if he'd played his cards right, Bayaz could have gotten the same effect by waiting until the Ghurkish invaded the Union. Only the army would have been relatively close at hand the entire time. If the war in the North was part of Bayaz's plan, it nearly backfired on him.

Like I said above, I think Bayaz helped Bethod but never imagined what the man would have become.

Dude don't come in here, because this thread has A LOT of spoilers about Book 3

Cheers for the warning. I just noticed the first law thread is below this one, I think that was the thread I meant to post in as I didn't have anything to say about LAoK. Anyway, thanks again and I'll hopefully be able to read this thread in a month.

Archived