BWB Norcal IV

Kat

BWB NorCal Karaoke Event

I carpooled from Stockton with Scuba Steve [formerly MSI101(Jesse)]. We drove to Dublin then got on the BART. On the way we talked about the usual introductory things: how long he has been on the board, how many times we read the books, when we read the books, etc. We got on the BART and didn't say much for that portion of the trip. It was an incredibly fast trip and BART is the best public transport I've been on and I've been on the Underground in London. We arrived at Embarcadero and decided to walk to the event. Four hills later, we got a cab. We arrived around 9:15pm to find most everyone already there.

Mrs. Leather (Rachel) and I immediately put our songs on the list to be called up. There was already a long wait so we settled down into two tables a ways apart from each other and had some general conversation. I drifted from one table to the other. IIRC, boiled leather (Lee), Rachel and Eddard Stark (David) sat at one table while Kat, Teri and Jesse sat at another.

David wanted to go to dinner immediately upon arriving. After I sang Man in Black I put in another song - Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. Then I went to dinner with David since it was an hour and a half wait. We went to Grub Steak on Polk and Pine where I got the best steak I have ever had - a Portugese steak. It had a egg cooked over hard on top, some veggies, beans, corn and potatoes on the side. De-lish-us. David and I talked about a wide variety of things including: going to Worldcon, business school, finance, my eBay business, career paths, engineering, and a website David runs.

Teri covered the songs we sang. It turned out that the three main singers sang. I didn't see Kat but Rachel did a great job. I'm sure Kat did as well.

I headed out around midnight with Lee and Rachel. They were going to drop me off at my uncle's in Walnut Creek. In the car, we talked about: poker, Jackson Rancheria, sense of direction, the book Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus, the ASOIAF books, being a mod and getting selected to be a mod, theories on the books, distributing the BantamSpectra magazine to the BWB, how often Lee posts on the board, my uncle Ricki, Apple products including the Air, Alcoholics Anonymous, being Jewish, Christianity, Israel, Nordstroms, and the Built to Last and Good to Great books. They dropped me off and headed in to my uncle's place and home.

I had a very good time. A great time!

Pics to come later. Apparently, I can't upload from imageshack.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Sorry I missed this one. But at least...

And hope LoB had fun at the hockey game.

... the Sharks game was one of the best I've seen all year.

Poker night? I guess I should prepare myself for the upcoming fleecing. ;)

Poker night? I guess I should prepare myself for the upcoming fleecing. ;)

Maybe, maybe not. My idea was to have two or three $10 poker tourneys. If we get the full crew out there should be a $170 prize pool for each tourney so that's not bad. If you give $100 to first and win both tourneys you make $180. At worst, you lose $20.

I think that if there is enough demand for two tables, that a ten dollar table and a twenty dollar table would be the plan.

Casa de Bronn is too small for more than six or eight to play. I'll travel though.

Good idea. The more experienced could play the bigger table. Unless most people are inexperienced in which case both $10. I can fit everyone but I need people to bring their own chairs.

ETA: And if both are $10 we'll make it one big tourney, breaking down to one table when we get to nine players.

My daughter's boyfriend Evan hosts poker games regularly at his house and has a huge supply of very nice poker chips that they might let us borrow, especially if we invite them. But I should warn you that many months he makes more than a thousand dollars playing poker.

I assume we are talking about an event sometime in mid to late March? For the students among us, what would be the conflicts with exam times?

My daughter's boyfriend Evan hosts poker games regularly at his house and has a huge supply of very nice poker chips that they might let us borrow, especially if we invite them. But I should warn you that many months he makes more than a thousand dollars playing poker.

I assume we are talking about an event sometime in mid to late March? For the students among us, what would be the conflicts with exam times?

So is Evan going to play then? Maybe he can deal as well as me. He probably knows the game well enough to deal.

Yes, mid-to-late March sounds good. That might conflict with Spring Break though. So whenever Spring Break is not in effect, either before or after.

Btw Teri, how do you post photos to the board? Imageshack doesn't seem to work.

So is Evan going to play then? Maybe he can deal as well as me. He probably knows the game well enough to deal.

Yes, mid-to-late March sounds good. That might conflict with Spring Break though. So whenever Spring Break is not in effect, either before or after.

Btw Teri, how do you post photos to the board? Imageshack doesn't seem to work.

I haven't even mentioned the poker idea to Evan or Tiffany yet. I was just throwing it out as relevant info.

Spring Break is usually in April for most schools, I think, but I am not all that up on it since my college days are so far behind me. Tiffany goes to Mills, which is on a semester system, and this BwB chapter has at least two Stanford students, which is on a quarterly system. But there are probably going to be midterms in March.

I put my photos on my own web site because I hate ads (and format the html for the index pages by hand.) People who don't have their own web space seem to mostly use Photobucket.

I haven't even mentioned the poker idea to Evan or Tiffany yet. I was just throwing it out as relevant info.

Ok, I put forward my place as first choice then. But it's not really first as it's in Sac. Anyway, Spring Break was March for me but that varies with public and private schools. I'll use Photobucket.

I've got nine of the pictures I took uploaded (that's about half of them), but I haven't made an index page yet. For a sneak preview, here is a link to the directory:

http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/images/bwb_karaoke/

Wow, your camera is awesome, Teri. It takes very good pictures. Or maybe it's just the camerawoman. :) I like me doing Man in Black if I may say so myself. :)

Ok, I put forward my place as first choice then. But it's not really first as it's in Sac. Anyway, Spring Break was March for me but that varies with public and private schools. I'll use Photobucket.

I'm for sure in on a poker night. My spring break is in mid-late March, and I assume all the other private school kids' breaks are too. But as I'm not going anywhere, there's no conflict for me. Finals are in early May, but I'll have to descend into my own personal pit of despair (and studying) after the first week of April, so if it's after that I will not be joining you. So... hopefully it's earlier.

I second Jon's place, even though I know it'll never happen.

Wow, your camera is awesome, Teri. It takes very good pictures. Or maybe it's just the camerawoman. :) I like me doing Man in Black if I may say so myself. :)

It's a nice camera, but I don't know photography well enough to use the manual settings, so I just keep it on auto. I think someone who knew what they were doing could get better results from it in low light than the auto does.

If you go to my web site, there are some other neat pictures, like these of the Adobe buildings in San Jose.

And all of those have been reduced in resolution from the full 3000 x 4000 pixels that it takes them at. (I have a couple pictures uploaded at the full resolution, but they are not safe for work. :) )

Great Pics Teri. :cheers: I wish you knew how to use photoshop, then I could lose 20 lbs :leaving:

:lol: I am an expert at Photoshop. Notice there is no red eye in those pictures I uploaded. ;)

For more Photoshop magic, go to this page, and hover your mouse over E.T.'s finger:

http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/dolls/pd_scans...n/pages/et.html

Then open the middle page of that card, and consider that the scanned card originally said "Happy Birthday".

Here are some paper dolls I drew in Photoshop:

http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/dolls/pd_scans...stpats_day.html

http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/dolls/pd_scans...card/index.html

And compare the magazine images before and after retouching on this page:

http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/dolls/pd_scans...call/p51_1.html

But you look good the way you are. :)

Ok, let's see if this works. LINK.

Ok, I took pictures of the singers, the guys for the sexy threads thread, and some random ones that snuck in there.

Enjoy.

Very nice pictures, Jon! Thanks for sharing them. :cheers:

Archived