Republic of Thieves- Lynch book III

Calibandar

Just wanted to point out to folks that Bantam Spectra have just put up their listing for Republic of Thieves ( as well as Dance with Dragons), it's up for August 26th.

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Thieves-Sco...8499&sr=1-2

I found the synopsis as well:

SPOILER: RoT
Scott Lynch continues to astound and entertain with his thrillingly inventive, wickedly funny, suspense-filled adventures featuring con artist extraordinaire Locke Lamora. Now, in his most captivating novel yet, readers reunite with Locke-and meet the only female Gentleman Bastard… George R.R. Martin has called Lynch "a bright new voice" and his hero, Locke Lamora, "a charming rogue." In THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES, having pulled off the greatest heist of their career, Locke and his trusted partner in thievery, Jean, have escaped with a tidy fortune. But, poisoned by an enemy from his past, Locke is slowly dying. And no physiker or alchemist can help him. Yet just as the end is near, a mysterious Bondsmagi offers Locke an opportunity that will either save him-or finish him off once and for all. Magi political elections are imminent, and the factions are in need of a pawn. If Locke agrees to play the role, sorcery will be used to purge the venom from his body-though the process will be so excruciating he may well wish for death. Locke is opposed, but two factors cause his will to crumble: Jean's imploring-and the Bondsmagi's mention of a woman from Locke's past: Sabetha. The love of his life. His equal in skill and wit. Locke was smitten with Sabetha from his first glimpse of her as a young fellow-orphan and thief-in-training. But after a tumultuous courtship, Sabetha broke away. Now they will reunite in yet another clash of wills. For the opposition knows of Locke's recruitment and has cleverly secured Sabetha as their countermeasure. Faced with his one and only match in both love and trickery, Locke must choose whether to fight Sabetha-or to woo her. It is a decision on which his life may depend. Lynch's debut novel, The Lies of Locke Lamora (Spectra, July 2006), won the #1 Reader's Choice for Best Novel of 2006 on SFSite.com, and was nominated for the World Fantasy Award and the Compton Crook Award for Best First novel, 2006. And Booklist has written of Red Seas Under Red Skies (Spectra, August 2007): "Fast paced, colorful, funny, with a fiendishly intricate plot... A virtuoso performance, and sf/fantasy fans will gobble it up, though they'll have to fight with caper novel aficionados for every crumb" (starred review). Warner Brothers has optioned Locke Lamora for a major motion picture. Scott Lynch lives in Wisconsin with his wife.

If this was just announced today that's wierd, cuz literally earlier I was like "hey I wonder when a few books come out that I am looking forward to" so I went to amazon.com and looked up a couple books, this one included. Damn I have good timing.

According to the Bantam website it is 800 pages. I wonder if that is true. They have correctly listed the pagecounts of the first two books so you'd think it's correct. And the second one was bigger than the first. Still, that seems almost unimaginable ( not that I'd mind in the slightest).

Guest Ser Jaime

Amazon has it listed at 576 pages, which seems more reasonable. It would still be the longest book in the series so far, though.

I hope 576 is correct, and not 800+. While more Lynch is a good thing, I just don't want him to fall into the same problem that Erikson has gotten into (the books keep getting longer, but the amount of story keeps getting shorter).

Amazon has it listed at 576 pages, which seems more reasonable.

Actually that is just the page count of book 2 being copied to book 3. Amazon does that a lot. That's not an indicator of anything except of the fact that they haven't processed the publisher's page count yet. Similar to how all new Steven Erikson books have 509 pages on Amazon until they actually put the real number on.

Guest Ser Jaime
Actually that is just the page count of book 2 being copied to book 3. Amazon does that a lot. That's not an indicator of anything except of the fact that they haven't processed the publisher's page count yet. Similar to how all new Steven Erikson books have 509 pages on Amazon until they actually put the real number on.

You're right. I went back and checked and the hardcover of RSURS is 576 pages. I had thought it was in the 480 page range, so I got confused. It looks like they just copied the RSURS page count over to the new listing.

I know Scott said that Republic would be the longest book in the series so far, so maybe 800 pages isn't out of the question.

800 pages seems like a lot, though. I hope the book doesn't get too bogged down.

Well, that just gave away the first third of the book.

Could you spoiler-tag the blurb? I started reading, got sucked in, and now know much more than I want to know.

The book looks promising, though. August is so far away...

Spoiler-tagged for you ;)

Someone ought to club that blurb writer. Thanks for spoiling all the nice speculation about the poison, pal.

Of course, the blurb writer may well not have read the book, so he may be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first completely inaccurate blurb.

Don't you worry about that page count...

Spoke with Anne Groell this week, and they're hoping that the book will be released on time. Mind you, they seem confident that everything is in order. Which means that nothing is set in stone just yet.

GRRM and Scott Lynch possibly releasing books in a short interval -- me likes that! :P

Patrick

Archived