A Thread for Small Questions

Slynt

Why is Sarella in Oldtown? We are told she loves the city. When she is curious and/or has a love of learning and knowledge the Citadel would also be the ideal place to be.

Yes, I believe this is the reason. Arianne mentions going somewhere with Oberyn and Sarella and Sarella was curious of every little thing in the environment. I think Doran calls it a "game" because Sarella is a woman and the Citadel only accepts men. It is nothing more than that.

The wiki page claims there are 3 novellas that are a collection of chapters from a character in a book. Are these simply collections of material from their original sources or do they contain extras? I'm thinking the former as I can't see any mention of them on our site when searching.

There was an AFfC chap book with three chapters (but those were, IIRC, Dany's chapters which were then placed in ADwD), and of course there was "Blood of the Dragon", the novella made out of Dany's chapters in AGoT. I can't think of what the third one would be, though, I admit. But yes, in any case, no extra material.

Blood of the Dragon -> Daenerys's Chapters from AGOT (published in Asimovs July 1996)

Path of the Dragon -> Daenerys's Chapters from ACOK (published in Asimovs December 2000)

Arms of the Kraken -> Iron Island's chapters from AFFC (published in Dragon Magazine 304 or 305, don't remember...)

So no extra material at all...

Oh right, forgot about Marwyn.

Another question...what exactly is Sarella's motive for being in Oldtown? My only guess is that, being Dornish and of the Martell seed, she sees it as the best way to support the lingering Targaryen cause, since she works under Marwyn and is now working with Samwell. Is that pretty much the general consensus?

By Aryanne recollection “Sarella was forever pushing in where she didn’t belong†and Sarella also loved Oldtown so it may be just another her adventure.

But on other side Alleras said that he suspects that Dragon has three heads and seems to be really interested in the subject – so it possible that Sarella is on a quest for particular knowledge connected to dragons and prophecies and this is why she attached herself to Marwyn.

It is also possible that her motives changed on the way. It looks like in prologue Alleras has no connection with Marwyn at all but in the last chapter he(she) became his confident.

Blood of the Dragon -> Daenerys's Chapters from AGOT (published in Asimovs July 1996)

Path of the Dragon -> Daenerys's Chapters from ACOK (published in Asimovs December 2000)

Arms of the Kraken -> Iron Island's chapters from AFFC (published in Dragon Magazine 304 or 305, don't remember...)

So no extra material at all...

Thanks Ran and Evrach. Arms of the Kraken sounds painful to me.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the ratio of coppers to stags to dragons?

In AFFC, Pate has 9 stags and some coppers, and makes it sound like he is horribly far from getting towards his goal of a dragon.

thanks Ran.

@guciomir -- in the same prologue chapter with Pate he thinks he has enough to buy a donkey for Rosey and he to ride off on. He had 9 silver stags. i'm sure others will have better examples, but i just started the re-read of AFFC now and that is fresh on the top of my head.

Guest Other-in-law
could you give me an idea of some prices in Westeros?

like for example, food prices, inn charges, price for hiring a sellsword for some days etc

In the Hedge Knight, set some ninety years or so before the series, Dunk ordered a duck and some lamb, pease, oaten bread, and four mugs of ale, and he paid with a silver stag and got a fistful of coppers in change. Later he tried to buy a suit of plain armor and the price was 800 stags, knocked down to 600 when he exchanged some old bits of armor for it, and sold a horse (a palfrey, worth less than a rather old warhorse) for 750 stags.

There may have been a lot of inflation in decades following, so that's not a reliable guide for current prices, but it's a starting point at least. I'm sure there were other prices given in the series, like the ferry crossing at Lord Harroway's Town, the IOU prices the BwB paid people with, prostitute's rates, sea passage for Cat and later Arya and Sam, etc. A lot of it seems to have been variable depending on the circumstances; the ferry rate went up after men died in the crossing and sellswords were cheaper than bread during the KL famine, for example.

It's been awhile since I've read AFFC, so forgive me but I don't remember. Was margaery actually guilty of anything? I know Cersei convinced the singer to lie about all sorts of things, as well as one of the brothers, and Margaery was examined and found to be busted open, but even Cersei comments that this could be due to horseback riding. I totally forget whether or not the new septon or any of the septas say whether margaery was legitimately guilty though.

It's been awhile since I've read AFFC, so forgive me but I don't remember. Was margaery actually guilty of anything? I know Cersei convinced the singer to lie about all sorts of things, as well as one of the brothers, and Margaery was examined and found to be busted open, but even Cersei comments that this could be due to horseback riding. I totally forget whether or not the new septon or any of the septas say whether margaery was legitimately guilty though.

The simple answer is we don't know yet.

Did she bang anyone? Maybe.

Is she a virgin? Maybe.

Did she poison Joffs cup? Maybe.

Will she be released? Maybe.

We'll just have to read and find out.

I don't think we KNOW for sure that she's guilty or innocent of anything.

Could someone explain to me the in and outs of the White Book scene and just was I was supposed to infer from that section. I know it is a highly talked about thing, just never felt like I had a real grasp of the ramifications of what was being said. Thanks.

Could someone explain to me the in and outs of the White Book scene and just was I was supposed to infer from that section. I know it is a highly talked about thing, just never felt like I had a real grasp of the ramifications of what was being said. Thanks.

Jaime finally returns from his misadventures since being captured by Robb, but Team Lannister's administration feels hollow. Hardly anyone recognizes or cares that he's come back, Cersei won't see him, and when he insists on resuming his post as LC of the KG, Tywin disowns him as a son. The White Book makes him think of all the better knights he served with under Aerys, and how his predecessor Barristan was mistreated by the Lannisters.

Seeing all of these negative things doesn't immediately push him to any action. He grits his teeth, calls a KG meeting, and tells all the unfit members what he thinks of them. I don't think he has any real hope of restoring the current KG membership to the level of the previous membership, but he at least makes it clear that he doesn't want any further atrocities.

Nothing too special happens and he doesn't come to any solid resolutions, but the chapter shows the chips in his Lannister Loyalty that will later spread into cracks, and result in things like his burning Cersei's plea for rescue.

The time he takes to awkwardly write down the whole story of his most recent failings (unfulfilled oath to Cat included) is the first and rather impressive sign of humilty we see from him, directly followed by him contemplating the part of his page that is yet be filled and wondering about his future. This is a beautifully written and highly symbolic introspective scene, and it´s as close to "very solid resolution" for change for Jaime as it can actually get. Many people actually regard it as his personal turning point (things like saving Brienne do not count as much because they all were his usual rash decisions, in contrast to this first time he takes his time to think about himself).

Or did you mean the KG meeting? Guess you were supposed to infer there are many ways to keep unruly subordinates in check ;).

The time he takes to awkwardly write down the whole story of his most recent failings (unfulfilled oath to Cat included) is the first and rather impressive sign of humilty we see from him, directly followed by him contemplating the part of his page that is yet be filled and wondering about his future. This is a beautifully written and highly symbolic introspective scene, and it´s as close to "very solid resolution" for change for Jaime as it can actually get. Many people actually regard it as his personal turning point (things like saving Brienne do not count as much because they all were his usual rash decisions, in contrast to this first time he takes his time to think about himself).

Or did you mean the KG meeting? Guess you were supposed to infer there are many ways to keep unruly subordinates in check ;).

Thanks for the help, but I am still fuzzy on the "Kingmaker" comment right at the end. What are the different ways to see that comment?

Archived