ASoIaF: The Pen-and-Paper RPG

As per the [url="http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/2826/"]new podcast[/url], the new RPG sounds pretty good, especially the amount of art that's being assembled for the product and the fact that a 32-page 'taster' will be given away free for Free Game Day in the US (erm, can anyone grab me a copy of these please, assuming it's a US-only thing? :) ). I think Free Game Day is 21 June, so not too long to wait either until we see the new rules. Cool stuff.

The new [b]Wild Cards[/b] RPG also sounds really good, especially as it sounds like it works as a guidebook to the series as well as an RPG.

Free RPG Day is international. A number of shops in England are signed up. I link to their page, with a directory of participating stores, in the news post in the left side bar.

It does look like their form is a bit odd. Edinburgh is also in England, apparently. ;)

Try and see if anyone can snag you a copy. :) I'm going to try and see if we can get a hold of a review copy from Green Ronin.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1346144' date='May 7 2008, 13.56']Arse, and my two local game shops in Colchester aren't taking part either :(

Erm, and since when was Dublin in England?[/quote]

[quote name='Ran']It does look like their form is a bit odd. Edinburgh is also in England, apparently. wink.gif[/quote]

Wait...those aren't in England? :rofl:

[size=2]Please don't kill me.[/size]

[quote name='Werthead' post='1346144' date='May 7 2008, 13.56']Arse, and my two local game shops in Colchester aren't taking part either :([/quote]

Some shops may not be signed up, but may be willing to order product for a suitable bribe.

[quote]Erm, and since when was Dublin in England?[/quote]

Next Tuesday when the Inv....shit, sorry, wasn't supposed to mention that.

Forget I said anything.

Hi,
This is sort of offtopic, but since we are talking about FreeRPGDay I wanted to mention I designed & wrote the free Harn adventure & quickstart that Columbia Games sent to Aldo (the organizer of FreeRPGDay). Feel free to pick it up in June.
-Jae

Re FreeRPGDay: yes it would have been nice if other parts of the world had signed up in time. (This year was so succesfull the organizers sold early. There is a long waiting list of stores if more product becomes available.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Okay - I just finished reading the FreeRPGDay quickstart. (I'm not much of a rules guy so I won't comment on rules.) Good job overall, but see below.

*Spoilers*
IMO, I'm disappointed in one thing:
1) In the adventure: that the map of the "Inn at the Crossroads" (run by a sourleaf chewing Masha Heedle does not match the descriptions in GRRM's books).

Other tiny nitpicks:
1) That one of the pre-gens is listed as a Septa when her lordly husband died only 4 months ago. Seems quick to go from lady to widow to nun.
2) That the 4 bandits need 6 huge (9 feet by 12 feet) tents in their camp.
3) That the intro history section reveals that Aerys plotted to burn King's Landing.

We have to wait until August for the rulebook and another two months for the good stuff?

Do we have a price on them yet? Regular corebook price of $30-50 or more like what the low stock ASOIAF RPG books are going for right now?

Are there any other similar RPGs (preferably d20) that are based around politics or large scale tactics I can play until October?

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1411912' date='Jun 23 2008, 20.28']We have to wait until August for the rulebook and another two months for the good stuff?

Do we have a price on them yet? Regular corebook price of $30-50 or more like what the low stock ASOIAF RPG books are going for right now?

Are there any other similar RPGs (preferably d20) that are based around politics or large scale tactics I can play until October?[/quote]

Aside from the fact it's SF, not fantasy, the [b]Babylon 5[/b] RPG (d20-based, and one of the better uses of the rules) is pretty good for that sort of thing. In the fantasy genre, I'd say nothing really fits. You could make your own politics/large tactics campaign using D&D, but that's about it.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1412320' date='Jun 23 2008, 19.53']Aside from the fact it's SF, not fantasy, the [b]Babylon 5[/b] RPG (d20-based, and one of the better uses of the rules) is pretty good for that sort of thing. In the fantasy genre, I'd say nothing really fits. You could make your own politics/large tactics campaign using D&D, but that's about it.[/quote]

Thanks Wert, it's definitely got to be fantasy though.

I'm looking at Birthright for a possibility.

[url="http://www.birthright.net/"]http://www.birthright.net/[/url]

And can anyone who's seen the ASOIAF quickstart give us some info on the classes involved?

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1411912' date='Jun 23 2008, 15.28']We have to wait until August for the rulebook and another two months for the good stuff?

Do we have a price on them yet? Regular corebook price of $30-50 or more like what the low stock ASOIAF RPG books are going for right now?[/quote]

Prices are up for all three of the books at the GR site (http://greenronin.com/sifrp/): $35 for the rule book, $20 for the adventure and $40 for the campaign guide.

Looks like each will be available as a PDF as well.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1412430' date='Jun 23 2008, 19.30']Thanks Wert, it's definitely got to be fantasy though.

I'm looking at Birthright for a possibility.

[url="http://www.birthright.net/"]http://www.birthright.net/[/url]

And can anyone who's seen the ASOIAF quickstart give us some info on the classes involved?[/quote]

AK,
If you need filler to round out your BR game, what I did was to use the free Harn downloads on www.lythia.com The maps are great and and it's low magic and the human kingdoms would be a decent filler for Westeros.
Happy gaming

Archived