The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

therion

[quote name='Mister Manticore' post='1449709' date='Jul 21 2008, 23.41']I like WOT like a soap opera. It goes on forever, and sometimes the actors change, but you don't care, because it's just plain fun.[/quote]

And in the end Rand will awake to the dying embers of the hearth fire in his farmhouse and it was all but a bad dream. :D

[quote name='therion' post='1421839' date='Jun 30 2008, 17.56']I have read New Spring in the Legends short stroy collection edited by Robert Silverberg and while I felt it was weakest of stories included in the anthology I found the introductory description of the world to be interesting and the stroty itself was all right. What do you guys think about this series?[/quote]

i like it alright. i suggest that you read it...by the time you get through it, the last will most likely be available.

IMO, the series improves on re-reads...sure, you can find places where RJ lost his train of thought, but that's pretty much true in every series that i've ever read that lasts more than 3 books; and in some that only run three books.

i'll clue everyone in to something that most know but are afraid to admit...YOU aren't writing the books. the person that is writing them does not have YOU in mind while they do so. so please forgive them if they don't give you the story by using the fanfic ending that you were wishing for as you "claimed" to have known what they were doing all along...in the end, it's their story...not ours. the endless george doesn't know what he wants to do anymore, when is dance coming out threads on this board has totally soured me to all the fans "whinging" for this and that.

he didn't follow the tropes...he's not original...there is no way that should've happened...where is so and so...it can go on and on and on...

once again, my advice is to read until you feel that you don't want to read anymore...in these multi volumed epics, that's all you can do. :cheers:

[quote name='Ouroboros' post='1449744' date='Jul 21 2008, 17.00']I hated Path of Daggers first time I read it, but on a re-read (don't ask me why I re-read it) I loved it. Its grittier than the other books, with much more down to earth, brutal fights.[/quote]

It seemed such an easy read the first time around. And rather pacey to boot.

[quote name='arya_underfoot' post='1450217' date='Jul 22 2008, 08.05']short answer is no.....if u have read asoiaf and r older than 15-16, u r very unlikely to enjoy WoT. its quite simply too juvenile and the characters too annoying[/quote]

And how old are you?

(Your comment is so tasteful: "u, u r".)

You mean old enough to be reading an over rated author standing on a soap box? Salman Rushdie isn't the genius lots of folks like to claim he is. He's dull, dry and far from subtle in his writing style. In fact, he's rather blatant and heavy handed in a lot of ways.

[quote name='Ouroboros' post='1451262' date='Jul 22 2008, 22.00']You mean old enough to be reading an over rated author standing on a soap box? Salman Rushdie isn't the genius lots of folks like to claim he is. He's dull, dry and far from subtle in his writing style. In fact, he's rather blatant and heavy handed in a lot of ways.[/quote]
So? Next thing you're going to tell me Robert Jordan is a better writer. I bet you think Tolkien is a master of mellifluous prose.

[quote name='Errant Bard' post='1451278' date='Jul 22 2008, 22.11']What about Salman Rushdie? I was reading him when I was 2. And what does it have to do with inability to write "you" correctly, or Jordan, for that matters?[/quote]

Simple. Salmon Rushdie, and other "ethnic" writers like Nalo Hopkinson, write English with a pseudo-accent. Kinda like their call sign. The suggestion that writing in your own private language is indicative of Youth or Mental Retardation like many would like to pass, is amazingly irritating. It is a viable attempt to create a style. If it was unwisely applied in this case (i'm not a fan of "ur" too), does not diminish the irritation.

Edit: Do you really think someone can write "ur" instead of "you're" unintentionally?

Ugh, I can see where this is going...

I'm certainly not offended if someone thinks Jordan's writing is too immature to bother with. But given that I'm able to enjoy what WoT offers while still embracing (and ultimately preferring) a more acknowledged literary route a la Wolfe, Borges, or Peake, I personally don't put much stock in blanket assessments that specify what I should or shouldn't be reading according to my age.

So, also beware of reading WoT if you don't like being frustrated by the protrayal of women. He's a got a pretty cool female power force going on, a la the Bene Gesserit. I do like a lot of his female characters, but many of them are rather tedious, or at least some of their habits are tedious.

I don't know why I am bothering to say this, though - I'm sure it's in like 800 other threads.
[pulls braid in annoyance, then flounces out of thread]

edit: typo

[quote name='Serious Callers Only' post='1451311' date='Jul 22 2008, 17.33']... Only more stupid.[/quote]

This is a given, of course. How 'bout we say, instead of 'a la the Bene Gesserit', an 'amusing and interesting, but very very pale imitation of, the Bene Gesserit'?

[quote name='Serious Callers Only' post='1451298' date='Jul 22 2008, 23.26']Edit: Do you really think someone can write "ur" instead of "you're" unintentionally?[/quote]No and that's the point. It doesn't make him come across as stylish or whatever, it makes him seem like, to take your Rushdie's analogy, writing with the accent of a 12 year-old who spends more time sending sms than paying attention in school. Maybe it was the desired effect.

It is a viable attempt at creating a style, certainly, but not all styles get the same reception from the public. I would have been more impressed by different angles of approach, like writing a whole argument in, say, alexandrines.

This being said, maybe the original comment was a subtle criticism of those who usually say WoT is immature, turning the immature accusation on them by caricaturing their argumentation, who knows.

I started to read WoT. I am about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way through the series. I've stopped reading for the time being since I'm kind of busy right now, but also because I didn't think there wasn't that much tension in the books. I felt that the villains were extremely sub par. The villains of Jordon's Wheel of Time series are like the Keystone Cops of bad guys. They don't just [i]lose[/i], but they lose consistently and humiliatingly to the good guys. The last book that I finished reading was "The Shadow Rising." When I first picked up the book I thought I finally get to see why everyone was so afraid of the Forsaken, to see why I should be trembling in fear of the Dark One instead of suppressing giggles. Instead, the bad guys got their asses handed to them on a silver platter.

I read the first book: terrible!

Characters are completely unconvincing. Story is bad and what really irritates is me is the contine appearing of yet another MOST TERRIBLE ADVERSARY
Very soon you will be thinking: "Another? Whooooo I am so impressed!"

[quote name='Gabriele' post='1449387' date='Jul 21 2008, 13.53']Well, this one is a [b]valid[/b] discussion. The troll trolled in another thread and got banned for that, not for this post.[/quote]
*looks upthread*

*cries*

[quote name='add-on' post='1451404' date='Jul 23 2008, 00.37']*looks upthread*

*cries*[/quote]

Yeah, it's gone downriver a bit.

I have my own reading politics; if someone uses netspeak or refuses to capitalise the first word in a sentence, I don't read the post.

Archived