Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Tom the Merciful

Just today I saw this in a local bookstore. As I've never heard anything about the book or the author, I skipped. Then I checked it on amazon and found only 5 star reviews.
Should I go back to the store and buy?

EDIT:
Just had to change the title as the author's name was wrong.

[quote name='Tom the Merciful' post='1452180' date='Jul 23 2008, 16.26']Just today I saw this in a local bookstore. As I've never heard anything about the book or the author, I skipped. Then I checked it on amazon and found only 5 star reviews.
Should I go back to the store and buy?[/quote]
[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=26185&st=60&start=60#"]Search button rulezzzz.[/url]

I'm conducting an email interview with the author to learn a bit more about him and his work. . . :)

Might have to move this novel up in the batting order, methinks!

Patrick

Don't know about you, but search button on this board never worked well.

Yesterday I tried google search on the author and got nothing, basically. It was even hard finding the book on amazon.

So, I went back and bought it. 10 pages into it, I'm not impressed. Never liked insects, so I cannot get into the concept. Writing is good. We'll see.

Author's real name seems to be Adrian Czajkowski. Pronounced same, but written differently.

[quote name='Tom the Merciful' post='1452180' date='Jul 23 2008, 14.26']Just today I saw this in a local bookstore. As I've never heard anything about the book or the author, I skipped. Then I checked it on amazon and found only 5 star reviews.[/quote] Seems interesting, but note that these reviewers have, more or less, only reviewed this book :unsure:
Anyway, keep us updated

Just posted an interview with the author on the blog.

Tchaikovsky comes across as a very nice guy. I'll try to give his fantasy debut a shot sooner than I intended. . . :)

Patrick

[quote name='pat5150' post='1457379' date='Jul 26 2008, 09.51']Just posted an interview with the author on the blog.

Tchaikovsky comes across as a very nice guy. I'll try to give his fantasy debut a shot sooner than I intended. . . :)

Patrick[/quote]

Even though he cites MJH as an influence? :P

I've also just conducted an interview with Adrian, which you can find [url="http://speculativehorizons.blogspot.com/2008/07/interview-adrian-tchaikovsky.html"]here[/url].

I received a review copy a while back, but am still trudging through Erikson's [i]Deadhouse Gates[/i] so it'll have to wait a bit longer...

Good interviews.

It's not surprising that he likes MJH, because MJH knows how to tickle other writer's balls in that special way. Though, writing for typical readers is something that MJH doesn't appear to be able to do.

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1458550' date='Jul 27 2008, 19.11']Isn't that pretty much hitting below the belt, just because it didn't work for you? ;)[/quote]

But It's not just me..., and the board needs somebody to balance your unabashed pimping of all things MJH. :smoking:

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1458146' date='Jul 27 2008, 10.46']Good interviews.

It's not surprising that he likes MJH, because MJH knows how to tickle other writer's balls in that special way.[/quote]
Ghostie, what kind of endorsement is that...

Well, the title alone sounds pretty rad. And insects? Cool. Another book for the list, which I think may be growing larger than what my dad can afford... :P

Archived