Character Ages

SFDanny

Sandor is 26 when the series starts. He was 12 when he fought as a squire during Robert's Rebellion and the story begins 14 years later.

Gregor is 31 since he was 17 during the Rebellion when he killed Elia and Aegon.

Thanks! I always assumed his was in the his mid to late thirties until reading a few posts in this forum suggesting he was around Tyrion's age.

• 5 months later...

OK, I've tried to nail this one down for a while and I think I've done it.

Tyrell, Ser Loras -

“Ser Loras was the youngest son of Mace Tyrell, the Lord of Highgarden and Warden of the South. At sixteen, he was the youngest rider on the field, yet he had unhorsed three knights of the Kingsguard that morning in his first three jousts.” (
AGoT
249)
Sansa looking on Ser Loras at the Hand’s tourney, before Arya overhears Varys with Illyrio, so it is still in 298 when this takes place.

“‘How old are you, Ser Loras?’ Tyrion asked him.

‘Seventeen, my lord’

Seventeen, and beautiful, and already a legend. Half the girls in the Seven Kingdoms want to bed him, and all the boys want to be him. ‘If you pardon my asking, ser - why would anyone choose to join the Kingsguard at seventeen?’

‘Prince Aemon the Dragonknight took his vows at seventeen,’ Ser Loras said, ‘and your brother Jaime was younger still.’

‘I know their reasons. What are your? The honor of serving beside such paragons as Meryn Trant and Boros Blunt?’ He gave the boy a mocking grin. ‘To guard the king’s life, you surrender your own. You give up your lands and titles, give up hope of marriage, children ...’

‘House Tyrell continues through my brothers,’ Ser Loras said. ‘It is not necessary for a third son to wed, or breed.’

‘Not necessary, but some find it pleasant. What of love?’

‘When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.’

‘Is that from a song?’ Tyrion cocked his head, smiling. ‘Yes, you are seventeen, I see that now.’

Ser Loras tensed. ‘Do you mock me?’

A prickly lad. ‘No. If I’ve given offense, forgive me. I had my own love once, and we had a song as well.’ (ASoS 137)
Tyrion talking to Ser Loras after the Imp has recovered from his wounds at the Battle of the Blackwater and before the wedding of Joffrey and Margaery - so, in Year 299.

“‘Seventeen and a knight of the Kingsguard,’ said Jaime. ‘You must be proud. Prince Aemon the Dragonknight was seventeen when he was named. Did you know that?’” (ASoS 758)
Jaime talking to Ser Loras in the White Tower after Joffrey’s assassination. If this is read as meaning Ser Loras is seventeen at this point in the story then it proves him to have been born in Year 282 because he is both seventeen in 299 and 300.

The other reading, one having the reference being a look back to when Ser Loras was admitted to the Kingsguard, would have him as turning 18 in 299 so we still have these two possibilities:

{A} -- Ser Loras is 15 turning 16 in 298; 16 turning 17 in 299, and 17 turning 18 in 300, or

{B} -- Ser Loras is 16 turning 17 in 298; 17 turning 18 in 299, and 18 turning 19 in 300.

I think this settles it, especially when combined with the likely reading of the above quote.

“Ser Loras was a year older than his sister,but they had the same big brown eyes, the same thick brown hair falling in lazy ringlets to their shoulders, the same smooth unblemished skin.” (AFfC 182)
Cersei looking at Ser Loras at Tommen and Margaery’s wedding in Year 300 when Margaery is still 16 - this should mean option A is the only viable option since in option B Loras would be 18 when his 16 year old sister is marrying Joffrey. A clear contradiction to Cersei’s comment about his being
a
year older than Margaery at the time.
This means Ser Loras was born in Year 282.

• 2 months later...

Rhaegar Targaryen -

Given the following quote from Maester Aemon we know Rhaegar was born on the same day as the tragedy at Summerhall.

"It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought ... the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died." (AFfC 520 UK hardback)

And given the date of Aegon the Unlikely's reign is given as ending in 259 (AGoT 693 US hardback) along with the widely held assumption that Egg dies at Summerhall, it seems very, very likely that Rhaegar was born in year 259. Confirmation of this comes from Ran's opportunity to see a draft of the Targaryen genealogy. Thanks again, Ran. biggrin.gif

edit: this is confirmed by the release of "George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide." In the entry for Aerys Targaryen (spoiler alert) we have the following:

Their first son, Rhaegar, was born shortly after. In fact, on the very day that the tragedy at Summerhall claimed the lives of Aegon V and others of the royal court.

• 5 months later...

On Tommen's age:

In ASoS he is already almost nine on Sansa's marriage feast, which should him make him well and truly nine at the end of ASoS. At least, in my opinion, he should and must have turned nine before he became King, as King Tommen's name day would have to be a big event which would have been mentioned during the Cersei chapters of AFfC.

I really think eight-year-old King Tommen has to be mistake in AFfC!

On Tommen's age:

In ASoS he is already almost nine on Sansa's marriage feast, which should him make him well and truly nine at the end of ASoS. At least, in my opinion, he should and must have turned nine before he became King, as King Tommen's name day would have to be a big event which would have been mentioned during the Cersei chapters of AFfC.

I really think eight-year-old King Tommen has to be mistake in AFfC!

Which reference are you referring to? I have Tommen listed as eight in Year 300 because of three Jaime quotes that are all absolutely after the turn of the year from 299 to 300; once when Jaime is dressing down Ser Meryn (ASoS 757,) once as the new young king signs decrees put in front of him by his great uncle Kevan (ASoS 819,) and once at Tywin's funeral (AFfC 127.) The only reference to him being nine before the turn of the year is from a Sansa quote in which she uses the phrase "all of" as a qualifier. Because this also fits a earlier reference to Tommen when Sansa also uses this phrase "all of" - only this time describing him as "all of eight" when other references put him as seven, I think it is clear when Martin is using this phrase he is saying "almost" not "just." The quotes that put him eight after 300 can't be dismissed as an unreliable viewpoint as they come from Tommen's father. Jaime knows how old his second son is, and this almost certainly isn't a mistake by Martin because he does it three times. So I think what we have is clearly Tommen being born in 291 and turning nine early in the year 300. The absence of a name day celebration noted in the text, which doesn't mean one didn't happen, isn't enough evidence to contradict pretty clear evidence to the contrary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

He turns 15 when he's kicked out of Horn Hill. Adding travel time and sync-ing with the Jon chapters, that makes him be born around July 283

Actually he turns 16, it was the day before his 16th birthday (when he becomes a man in truth) that randyll takes him aside and tells him he's joining the wall, add in traveltime etc that makes him about 16years, 3ish months, just over a year older than jon

• 11 months later...

Maester Aemon Targaryen -

From Maester Aemon's entry in George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide:

Born in the 198th year since Aegon's Landing, Aemon is the third son of Prince Maekar Targaryen.
Bold emphasis added

This provides confirmation that Aemon was born in 198. He is 102 when he is aboard ship to Braavos and when he dies, but we didn't know if he would have turned 103 in Year 300 and therefore born in 197. This shows that is not the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Ser Barristan Selmy -

“Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.” (ASoS 752) This either takes place in 298 or 299.

If it is 298 then Ser Barristan was born in 237.

60 turning 61 in 298

61 turning 62 in 299

62 turning 63 in 300

63 turning 64 in 301

64 turning 65 in 302

If it is 299, then Ser Barristan is born in 238.

59 turning 60 in 298

60 turning 61 in 299

61 turning 62 in 300

62 turning 63 in 301

63 turning 64 in 302

With the new George R. R. Martin’s A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide we see in the Barristan Selmy entry information that tells us which of these two possibilities it is.

“When King Robert returns from Winterfell with Lord Stark as his new Hand, Ser Barristan and Lord Renly meet him at the Trident and return to King’s Landing with him. At the age of sixty-one, Ser Barristan is no longer quite so fearsome an opponent as he once was, but at the Hand’s tourney he still defeats men thirty and forty years his junior, and is only defeated by the Kingslayer after a hard-fought match.” (George R. R. Martin’s A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide ) Bold emphasis added.

Only the first option works for an event we know is in 298 (see Margaery post #2 in this thread,) so Ser Barristan was born in 237.

• 2 years later...

Updates from The World of Ice & Fire:

Lord Steffon Baratheon:

"In 245 AC Princess Rhaelle fulfilled her father's promise and wed Ormund Baratheon, young Lord of Storm's End. The following year she gave him a son, Steffon, who served as a page and squire at King's Landing and became a close companion of Prince Aerys, eldest son of King Jaehaerys II and heir to the Iron Throne." (TWoI&F 230)

Lord Steffon Baratheon was born in 246 AC

King Robert Baratheon:

"Yet even as Aerys donned his crown, in that fateful year of 262 AC, a lusty black-haired son named Robert had just to his cousin Steffon Baratheon and his lady wife at Storm's End, whilst far to the north in Winterfell, Lord Rickard celebrated the birth of his own son, Brandon" (TWoI&F 113)

King Robert Baratheon was born in 262 AC

Brandon Stark:

"Yet even as Aerys donned his crown, in that fateful year of 262 AC, a lusty black-haired son named Robert had just to his cousin Steffon Baratheon and his lady wife at Storm's End, whilst far to the north in Winterfell, Lord Rickard celebrated the birth of his own son, Brandon" (TWoI&F 113)

Brandon Stark was born in 262 AC

"Yet even as Aerys donned his crown, in that fateful year of 262 AC, a lusty black-haired son named Robert had just to his cousin Steffon Baratheon and his lady wife at Storm's End, whilst far to the north in Winterfell, Lord Rickard celebrated the birth of his own son, Brandon. Another Stark, Eddard, followed within a year." (TWoI&F 113)

Lord Eddard Stark was born in 263 AC

Baratheon, Stannis -

“Robert’s lusts were the subject of ribald drinking songs throughout the realm, but Stannis was a different sort of man; a bare year younger than the king, yet utterly unlike him, stern, humorless, unforgiving, grim in his sense of duty.” (AGoT 232) emphasis added.

“Stannis Baratheon, Lord of Dragonstone and by the grace of the gods rightful heir to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, was broad of shoulder and sinewy of limb, with a tightness to his face and flesh that spoke of leather cured in the sun until it was as tough as steel. Hard was the word men used when they spoke of Stannis, and hard he was. Though he was not yet five-and-thirty, only a fringe of think black hair remained on his head, circling behind his ears like the shadow of a crown.” (ACoK 10) Maester Cressen viewing Stannis when he visits him upon hearing of Ser Davos’s return to Dragonstone. This occurs in year 299 when the comet is in the sky.

Stannis is either 34 turning 35 in 299 or 33 turning 34 in 299

The first means he was born in 264

the second means he was born in 265

because Robert is born in 262 only option one is possible.

A little further explanation here. If Robert is born in the end of 262, and Stannis is born in the very beginning of 264, then we have a understanding of what the phrase "a bare year younger." means. Stannis is probably around 13 to 14 months younger than Robert but born in two numbered years apart.

Lord Stannis Baratheon was born in 264

more later

Lannister, Lord Tywin -

“It fell to Tywin to restore House Lannister to its proper place. Just as it fell to him to rule this realm, when he was no more than twenty. He bore that heavy burden for twenty years, and all it earned him was a mad king’s envy” (ASoS 745) Ser Kevan talking to Tyrion during his trial.

“Father was not even one-and-twenty when Aerys Targaryen named him Hand.” (AFfC 235) Cersei talking to Jaime about naming the 22 year-old Aurane Waters to be Tommen’s master of ships.

“I was seven when Walder Frey persuaded my lord father to give my hand to Emm.” ... “Only Tywin dared speak against the match. A boy of ten.” (AFfC 502) Which tells us there is a three year gap between Tywin and Genna.

“His father's court had been made up largely of older, seasoned men, many of whom had also served during the reign of King Aegon V. Aerys II dismissed them one and all, replacing them with lords of his own generation. Most notably, he retired the aged and exceedingly cautious Hand, Edgar Sloane, and named in his place Ser Tywin Lannister, the heir to Casterly Rock. At twenty years of age, Ser Tywin thus became the youngest Hand in the history of the Seven Kingdoms. (TWoI&F 113)

“In 263 AC, after a year as the King’s Hand, Ser Tywin married his beautiful young cousin Joanna Lannister, who had come to King’s Landing in 259 AC for the coronation of King Jaehaerys II and remained thereafter as a lady-in-waiting to Princess (later Queen) Rhaella.” (TWoI&F 115) This tells us Tywin is appointed Hand in 262 and he is twenty in that year according to the quote above. Therefore he is either 19 turning 20 in 262 and therefore he was born in 242, or he is 20 turning 21 in 262 and therefore he was born in 241

“As the power of House Lannister waned, other houses grew stronger, more defiant, and more disorderly. And by 254 AC, even lords beyond the borders of the westerlands had grown aware that the lion of Casterly Rock was no longer a beast to be feared.

Late that year, Lord Tytos agreed to wed his seven-year-old daughter, Genna, to a younger son of Walder Frey, Lord of the Crossing. Though but ten years of age, Tywin denounced the betrothal in scathing terms. (TWoI&F 201) This means Tywin was either nine turning 10 in 254 and therefore born in 244 AC, or he was 10 turning 11 in 254 and born in 243 AC. The two dates don’t overlap with the other quotes so there is a problem

“In 267 AC, Lord Tytos Lannister’s heart burst as he was climbing steep flight of stairs to the bedchamber of his mistress (his lordship had finally put aside his wet nurse, only to become besotted with the charms of a candlemaker’s daughter). So at age of five-and-twenty, Tywin Lannister became the Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield o Lannisport, and Warden of the West.” (TWoI&F 204) This means Tywin is either 24 turning 25 in 267 and therefore born in 242, or he is 25 turning 26 in 267 and therefore born in 241. This is the same as one of the above but doesn’t eliminate either year as a possibility.

“Several years are listed for Tywin becomming Hand of the King, and marrying Joanna Lannister, which took place one year later. The correct years are: Tywin's birth took place in 242AC, the betrothal of Genna to Emmon Frey in 252AC, Tywin becomming Hand in 262AC, and thus Tywin marrying Joanna in 263AC.” Question by Rhaenys Targaryen in the (TWoI&F errata thread) with the following answer from Ran:

“He became Hand at the age of 20, and being born in 242 that'd make it 262. Yes, the book's in error here. George introduced a small error in his Westerlands material which we fixed... not realizing that the error was symptomatic of an error that ran through his timeline, so it threw everything out of whack. Next printing should have the betrothal event with Genna as being in 252, accordingly, and then I think everything else should line up all right."

So in addition to correcting the information in the The World of Ice and Fire concerning the year of Lady Genna's betrothal on page 201, we also know from Ran which of the two years (241 or 242) that Tywin is born in - Tywin was born in 242, this also means Tywin either had turned 58 by the time of his murder, or he would have later that year in 300 AC. Thank you, to both Rhaenys Targaryen for asking the question and to Ran for providing the answer.

Lannister, Ser Gerion

“In 255 AC, Lord Tytos celebrated the birth of his fourth son at Casterly Rock, but his joy soon turned to sorrow. His beloved wife, the Lady Jeyne, never recovered from her labor, and died within a moon’s turn of Gerion Lannister’s birth.” (TWoI&F 201)

This tells us the year of Gerion Lannister’s birth in 255 AC

I figured this would be a good place to mention:

For most (still working on the last few) of the characters for who their age could possibly be calculated (main series, D&E, TRP, TPATQ, TWOIAF, AWOIAF), I've made the Wiki-Timeline Project,* with a accompanying thread.. Every single entry I have personally written, some slightly altered after discussion on the thread. I've used the entire project to fix such dates on the wiki, to make the wiki, on that area at least, more reliable :)

Any input for in there, I always welcome :) Basically, I've done the same as you have done on this thread, OP, only on a bigger scale..The project currently counts 518 entries in the years of birth and death section alone.

*consisting out of five pages, four containing years of birth and death (link it for page 1), one containing calculations for multiple events

Archived