95 replies to this topic

#81 Phantom

Phantom

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:13 AM

Sandor is 26 when the series starts. He was 12 when he fought as a squire during Robert's Rebellion and the story begins 14 years later.

Gregor is 31 since he was 17 during the Rebellion when he killed Elia and Aegon.

Thanks! I always assumed his was in the his mid to late thirties until reading a few posts in this forum suggesting he was around Tyrion's age.

#82 SFDanny

SFDanny

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

OK, I've tried to nail this one down for a while and I think I've done it.

Tyrell, Ser Loras -

“Ser Loras was the youngest son of Mace Tyrell, the Lord of Highgarden and Warden of the South. At sixteen, he was the youngest rider on the field, yet he had unhorsed three knights of the Kingsguard that morning in his first three jousts.” (AGoT 249)

Sansa looking on Ser Loras at the Hand’s tourney, before Arya overhears Varys with Illyrio, so it is still in 298 when this takes place.

“‘How old are you, Ser Loras?’ Tyrion asked him.
‘Seventeen, my lord’
Seventeen, and beautiful, and already a legend. Half the girls in the Seven Kingdoms want to bed him, and all the boys want to be him. ‘If you pardon my asking, ser - why would anyone choose to join the Kingsguard at seventeen?’
‘Prince Aemon the Dragonknight took his vows at seventeen,’ Ser Loras said, ‘and your brother Jaime was younger still.’
‘I know their reasons. What are your? The honor of serving beside such paragons as Meryn Trant and Boros Blunt?’ He gave the boy a mocking grin. ‘To guard the king’s life, you surrender your own. You give up your lands and titles, give up hope of marriage, children ...’
‘House Tyrell continues through my brothers,’ Ser Loras said. ‘It is not necessary for a third son to wed, or breed.’
‘Not necessary, but some find it pleasant. What of love?’
‘When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.’
‘Is that from a song?’ Tyrion cocked his head, smiling. ‘Yes, you are seventeen, I see that now.’
Ser Loras tensed. ‘Do you mock me?’
A prickly lad. ‘No. If I’ve given offense, forgive me. I had my own love once, and we had a song as well.’ (ASoS 137)

Tyrion talking to Ser Loras after the Imp has recovered from his wounds at the Battle of the Blackwater and before the wedding of Joffrey and Margaery - so, in Year 299.

“‘Seventeen and a knight of the Kingsguard,’ said Jaime. ‘You must be proud. Prince Aemon the Dragonknight was seventeen when he was named. Did you know that?’” (ASoS 758)

Jaime talking to Ser Loras in the White Tower after Joffrey’s assassination. If this is read as meaning Ser Loras is seventeen at this point in the story then it proves him to have been born in Year 282 because he is both seventeen in 299 and 300.

The other reading, one having the reference being a look back to when Ser Loras was admitted to the Kingsguard, would have him as turning 18 in 299 so we still have these two possibilities:

{A} -- Ser Loras is 15 turning 16 in 298; 16 turning 17 in 299, and 17 turning 18 in 300, or
{B} -- Ser Loras is 16 turning 17 in 298; 17 turning 18 in 299, and 18 turning 19 in 300.

I think this settles it, especially when combined with the likely reading of the above quote.

“Ser Loras was a year older than his sister,but they had the same big brown eyes, the same thick brown hair falling in lazy ringlets to their shoulders, the same smooth unblemished skin.” (AFfC 182)

Cersei looking at Ser Loras at Tommen and Margaery’s wedding in Year 300 when Margaery is still 16 - this should mean option A is the only viable option since in option B Loras would be 18 when his 16 year old sister is marrying Joffrey. A clear contradiction to Cersei’s comment about his being a year older than Margaery at the time. This means Ser Loras was born in Year 282.

#83 SFDanny

SFDanny

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Rhaegar Targaryen -

Given the following quote from Maester Aemon we know Rhaegar was born on the same day as the tragedy at Summerhall.

"It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought ... the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died." (AFfC 520 UK hardback)

And given the date of Aegon the Unlikely's reign is given as ending in 259 (AGoT 693 US hardback) along with the widely held assumption that Egg dies at Summerhall, it seems very, very likely that Rhaegar was born in year 259. Confirmation of this comes from Ran's opportunity to see a draft of the Targaryen genealogy. Thanks again, Ran. [img]http://asoiaf.wester...ult/biggrin.gif[/img]

edit: this is confirmed by the release of "George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide." In the entry for Aerys Targaryen (spoiler alert) we have the following:

Spoiler

Edited by SFDanny, 29 November 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#84 Lord Varys

Lord Varys

Most Devious 'Man' In The Seven Kingdoms

• Members
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

On Tommen's age:

In ASoS he is already almost nine on Sansa's marriage feast, which should him make him well and truly nine at the end of ASoS. At least, in my opinion, he should and must have turned nine before he became King, as King Tommen's name day would have to be a big event which would have been mentioned during the Cersei chapters of AFfC.

I really think eight-year-old King Tommen has to be mistake in AFfC!

#85 SFDanny

SFDanny

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

On Tommen's age:

In ASoS he is already almost nine on Sansa's marriage feast, which should him make him well and truly nine at the end of ASoS. At least, in my opinion, he should and must have turned nine before he became King, as King Tommen's name day would have to be a big event which would have been mentioned during the Cersei chapters of AFfC.

I really think eight-year-old King Tommen has to be mistake in AFfC!

Which reference are you referring to? I have Tommen listed as eight in Year 300 because of three Jaime quotes that are all absolutely after the turn of the year from 299 to 300; once when Jaime is dressing down Ser Meryn (ASoS 757,) once as the new young king signs decrees put in front of him by his great uncle Kevan (ASoS 819,) and once at Tywin's funeral (AFfC 127.) The only reference to him being nine before the turn of the year is from a Sansa quote in which she uses the phrase "all of" as a qualifier. Because this also fits a earlier reference to Tommen when Sansa also uses this phrase "all of" - only this time describing him as "all of eight" when other references put him as seven, I think it is clear when Martin is using this phrase he is saying "almost" not "just." The quotes that put him eight after 300 can't be dismissed as an unreliable viewpoint as they come from Tommen's father. Jaime knows how old his second son is, and this almost certainly isn't a mistake by Martin because he does it three times. So I think what we have is clearly Tommen being born in 291 and turning nine early in the year 300. The absence of a name day celebration noted in the text, which doesn't mean one didn't happen, isn't enough evidence to contradict pretty clear evidence to the contrary.

Edited by SFDanny, 17 June 2011 - 10:31 AM.

#86 Pate Peet

Pate Peet

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

Do we have any information we can work on using Sam Tarly? I believe Jon and he compare ages/name days and Sam is older.

I don't have the books in front of me.

#87 Errant Bard

Errant Bard

Insane precursor of bad business

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

He turns 15 when he's kicked out of Horn Hill. Adding travel time and sync-ing with the Jon chapters, that makes him be born around July 283

#88 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

Does anyone know Roose's age? I recall reading somewhere (Wiki?) that he was 16 during the Rebellion. Is this somewhere in the books?

#89 mike_s_6

mike_s_6

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:08 AM

Sorry to bump this thread, but, am I correct to assume that between aGoT and aDwD, about 4-5 years has passed?

#90 Blue Sun

Blue Sun

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

About 2.5 - 3 years have passed. Three may be stretching it even.

Edited by ManyFacedOne, 16 October 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#91 mike_s_6

mike_s_6

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Thank you! The kids are still so young then...

#92 Anvik

Anvik

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

He turns 15 when he's kicked out of Horn Hill. Adding travel time and sync-ing with the Jon chapters, that makes him be born around July 283

Actually he turns 16, it was the day before his 16th birthday (when he becomes a man in truth) that randyll takes him aside and tells him he's joining the wall, add in traveltime etc that makes him about 16years, 3ish months, just over a year older than jon

#93 SFDanny

SFDanny

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Maester Aemon Targaryen -

From Maester Aemon's entry in George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide:

Born in the 198th year since Aegon's Landing, Aemon is the third son of Prince Maekar Targaryen.

Bold emphasis added

This provides confirmation that Aemon was born in 198. He is 102 when he is aboard ship to Braavos and when he dies, but we didn't know if he would have turned 103 in Year 300 and therefore born in 197. This shows that is not the case.

Edited by SFDanny, 07 December 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#94 Hear Me Type!

Hear Me Type!

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

Thanks for all the info Danny. I'm having a lot of fun with my first Reread thanks to you and EB's global timeline thread.

#95 SFDanny

SFDanny

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for all the info Danny. I'm having a lot of fun with my first Reread thanks to you and EB's global timeline thread.

You're most welcome! I'm glad you find it helpful.

#96 SFDanny

SFDanny

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Ser Barristan Selmy -

“Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.” (ASoS 752) This either takes place in 298 or 299.

If it is 298 then Ser Barristan was born in 237.

60 turning 61 in 298

61 turning 62 in 299

62 turning 63 in 300

63 turning 64 in 301

64 turning 65 in 302

If it is 299, then Ser Barristan is born in 238.

59 turning 60 in 298

60 turning 61 in 299

61 turning 62 in 300

62 turning 63 in 301

63 turning 64 in 302

With the new George R. R. Martin’s A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide we see in the Barristan Selmy entry information that tells us which of these two possibilities it is.

“When King Robert returns from Winterfell with Lord Stark as his new Hand, Ser Barristan and Lord Renly meet him at the Trident and return to King’s Landing with him. At the age of sixty-one, Ser Barristan is no longer quite so fearsome an opponent as he once was, but at the Hand’s tourney he still defeats men thirty and forty years his junior, and is only defeated by the Kingslayer after a hard-fought match.” (George R. R. Martin’s A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide ) Bold emphasis added.

Only the first option works for an event we know is in 298 (see Margaery post #2 in this thread,) so Ser Barristan was born in 237.