The Legend Begins...

Andhaira

Seriously, when we already have a thread dedicated to the subject, which is already on the front page, why are people starting second threads about it? Can we have a merge here please?

[quote name='Werthead' post='1572686' date='Oct 30 2008, 15.57']Seriously, when we already have a thread dedicated to the subject, which is already on the front page, why are people starting second threads about it? Can we have a merge here please?[/quote]

Wert, that thread is already at 19 pages. I wanted a thread to be about live commentary DURING the 2 hour premiere, for the non americans who don't get the show and who also may not have cable so they can't watch it online.

I request this topic, if it is to be merged, be done so AFTER the premier of the show. (So merge it on sunday if you want, but let us have a thread for a live play by play of the show please! :D )

[quote name='Mister Manticore' post='1573286' date='Oct 31 2008, 10.29']Could be on any, it's a syndicated program, so it's sold to whichever channel wants to buy it.

And 1:05 AM? That's when DS9 used to air here! It's a prime slot![/quote]

Damn... didn't realize it went the route of syndication. Thought maybe it got picked up by some random channel.

Not sure if it's on the other thread, but Ain't It Cool News has a round-up of critics of the pilot episode. Read the money quotes [url="http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38951"]here[/url], with links through to good articles.

Suffice it to say, very few of them are appreciative.

[quote name='Mister Manticore' post='1574183' date='Nov 1 2008, 10.48']Just remember every complaint you say about this show...could be applied to the program being worked on by HBO.[/quote]

I doubt ASOIAF HBO will feature Slow-mo. Also, it will actually have blood, politics, betrayals, drama, etc. It also won't have wizards, magic swords etc. (well at least until season 2 :) )

Oh and:

[quote][b]The Los Angeles Times says:[/b]

… the series' two-hour opening is a bit of a goulash of "Star Wars," the Arthurian legends, "Superman" and the Bible. … It is, basically, good-looking fun, and if I say that much of this might have been written by a 12-year-old, you must understand that I mean that as a good thing. …[/quote]

LOL :D

A 12 year old that deserves a Kick n the Jaw? Only if you choose life...

SFSignal has the first 10 minutes of a pilot here:

[url="http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/007342.html"]http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/007342.html[/url]

It doesn't look bad graphics wise, lush setting, decent CGI. As Jackson said when making the LoTR, the time is finally here, technology has finally caught up in such a way that good Fantasy shows and films can be made.

Of course, the necessity of having a good story remains very much present and in that sense this series wil be baffling. From these first 10 minutes I see Richard still looks like a 16 year old and just hearing this Confessor nonsense, well....

That. Was. SUCKTACULAR! Ohmigods. I forgot to DVR it and only got the final 30 minutes of the second part. We could make a world record setting grilled cheese sammich with all of the gouda this show exuded in only 30 MINUTES! :lol:

Don'tcha love the shimmery "zing" the sword makes when 'ole Dick whips it out?

But my favorite bit? The credits. "Part 1: Based on Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind". "Part 2: Based on the Sword of Truth Novels by Terry Goodkind".

This thing is going to be GOLD! :lol:

[quote name='Ran' post='1574255' date='Nov 1 2008, 14.36']There is/was a 30 minute segment from the start of the pilot available for free at iTunes.[/quote]

I only managed to catch the last 20 minutes of it because it turned out to be on one of those 'nothing-but-syndicated shows' channels I never watch.

My Gawd. It really was horrendous. No matter how poorly I think of Goodkind's vision for his books, they were, at the very least, a vision. Legend of the Seeker has kept the characters, removed the intent of the message and sought ways to turn every conversation into a fight.

This is cheesier than Xena, Hercules or any other program out there, even The Tick, I'm sure.

There is no possibility of this becoming a blockbuster. It'd be lucky to be judged as a lackluster.

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1574371' date='Nov 1 2008, 18.05']My Gawd. It really was horrendous. No matter how poorly I think of Goodkind's vision for his books, they were, at the very least, a vision. Legend of the Seeker has kept the characters, removed the intent of the message and sought ways to turn every conversation into a fight.

This is cheesier than Xena, Hercules or any other program out there, even The Tick, I'm sure.[/quote]

Well, I've been pretty much trumpeting the fact that a property was bought, not a series. I cannot wait to see the wailing of TG fans.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1574375' date='Nov 1 2008, 16.12']I cannot wait to see the wailing of TG fans.[/quote]
[url="http://www.terrygoodkind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12893"]Here you go.[/url] A mixed bag, but you will see some of the wailing you were hoping for, and a lot of forced cheerfulness on how "great" the show was.

[i]Remember... :D

Watch with the "objetcive" eye.

It will not be the book, it will not be close. Watch as if you had never read the Sword of Truth Series...[/i]

Talk about "CYA". :lol:

And someone was concerned about the cut of Kahlan's dress??? WTF?

ETA: And how on earth can you have a discussion of the show and NOT compare it to the source material? Seriously. To eliminate that variable from the discussion is to admit that you're not watching a show based on something you love. Wow. Just wow.

Archived