What games are you playing/looking forward to?

Jon AS

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1585570' date='Nov 11 2008, 19.06']Wow, I didn't know misquoting was prevalent here either. You're smart ;)[/quote]
[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1585605' date='Nov 11 2008, 19.33']Insert succinct snarky response here, repeat as necessary.[/quote]
enough already

Good to see a bit of Gothic 2 love in this thread. It's a shame about the third iteration as 2 with its add on was fantastic, I really enjoyed the revisiting of old Gothic 1 haunts. At the time the first one felt huge, 2 was just enormous. I wasn't so into the endgame however but still, nothings perfect. I think I stuck with 1 handed swords, not sure now though off the top of my head. A bit of magic and a little crossbow action goes a long way in this game as well.

I had to play the whole thing in German as at the time getting the knight of the raven add on to work with the english version was a bit of a bugger. The guttural German stuff was kinda cool.

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I took a trip to Circuit City on Saturday (because that's where my card was for), and, as I suspected, it was more a matter of what they had, rather than what I wanted. They had Oblivion, so that's what I got.

(But with most everyone's praise for Mass Effect, I'll be sure to keep it on the list. Maybe the next game I pick up. Even if it's just a rental... I won't complain for $30. I've paid more for worse. *cough*Halo 3*cough*)

I put in about 2 hours to Oblivion and, so far, I like it a bit better than Fallout 3 - for which I've only gone 3 hours, so my opnions are still subject to change. So yeah, it's decent so far.

Fallout 3 just seems to be a little less focused on story. So far I've got: Daddy left the Vault - go find him. No directions besided check out this abandoned city. I only found Megaton because I finally opened the map after I got sick of aimlessly wandering around in the dark. Meanwhile, Oblivion is giving me real places to go, and with a real purpose for going there.

And the menu's in FO3 suck! I find the stupid Pip-Boy to be quite difficult to read. Tiny print, green on black? They couldn't help me out by making it black on white and bumping the font size up a couple points? And the map is fuzzy. Maybe the Oblivion menu's fonts are a little bigger than they need to be, but at least I can read them.

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1586388' date='Nov 12 2008, 10.58']Fallout 3 just seems to be a little less focused on story. So far I've got: Daddy left the Vault - go find him. No directions besided check out this abandoned city. I only found Megaton because I finally opened the map after I got sick of aimlessly wandering around in the dark. Meanwhile, Oblivion is giving me real places to go, and with a real purpose for going there.[/quote]

You find Fallout 3 to be less story driven than Oblivion? I found the complete opposite to be true myself.
One of my least favourite things about the Elder Scroll series --Oblivion in particular-- is it's lack of focus on story... there's just nothing to drive you forward. When I did stumble across a main plot quest --after hours of pointless NPC conversations and 'exploring'-- it often wasn't intriguing enough to make me want to continue on with the game. Eventually I did give up.
For me Fallout 3 has just the right balance between interesting sidequests and an interesting main story. If I get bored of one I just go do the other.
I'm probably going to make another attempt at Oblivion again after I'm done with Fallout 3 and Dead Space, but that will be my 4th or 5th attempt I believe.

[quote]And the menu's in FO3 suck! I find the stupid Pip-Boy to be quite difficult to read. Tiny print, green on black? They couldn't help me out by making it black on white and bumping the font size up a couple points? And the map is fuzzy. Maybe the Oblivion menu's fonts are a little bigger than they need to be, but at least I can read them.[/quote]

I take it you've never played the first two fallout games as the pipboy was taken straight from there.
Maybe I like it just for nostalgia's sake but Fallout just wouldn't be Fallout if it weren't for the pipboy and it's green on black colour scheme.
Actually the only thing I dislike about the HUD in F3 is the damn compass. When there are multiple highlighted objectives it's pretty much impossible to use.

The aimlessness is kind of the point of Fallout. Your released into a world about which you have no clue. In Fallout 1, you come out of the ault with no idea what the world is like and only the instructions "Fix the water system in the vault". So you start wandering.

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1586647' date='Nov 12 2008, 13.33']You find Fallout 3 to be less story driven than Oblivion? I found the complete opposite to be true myself.
One of my least favourite things about the Elder Scroll series --Oblivion in particular-- is it's lack of focus on story... there's just nothing to drive you forward. When I did stumble across a main plot quest --after hours of pointless NPC conversations and 'exploring'-- it often wasn't intriguing enough to make me want to continue on with the game. Eventually I did give up.
For me Fallout 3 has just the right balance between interesting sidequests and an interesting main story. If I get bored of one I just go do the other.
I'm probably going to make another attempt at Oblivion again after I'm done with Fallout 3 and Dead Space, but that will be my 4th or 5th attempt I believe.[/quote]
So far I'm finding the opposite.

FO3 just dropped me into the word, with a vague idea of what to do: go hunt for dad. No clue where to go. I spent two hours talking to random people in Megaton only to end up with a couple of sidequests - half of which I can't do. And I have to buy the main quest info from Moriarty, which I have no money to do, so there's another trip to make. (Now, it's not bad, just not very clear.)

Oblivion, on the otherhand, gave me the name of the guy I have to see, and the name of the city he's in, and some general directions on how to get there.

So, within the first 2 or 3 hours, I'd say Oblivion is a little more focussed. Maybe it'll change my mind once I get a little farther into them both.

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1586647' date='Nov 12 2008, 13.33']I take it you've never played the first two fallout games as the pipboy was taken straight from there.[/quote]
Nope, I didn't. It's not going to make me give up the game, but I find it annoying.

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1586798' date='Nov 12 2008, 14.58']FO3 just dropped me into the word, with a vague idea of what to do: go hunt for dad. No clue where to go. I spent two hours talking to random people in Megaton only to end up with a couple of sidequests - half of which I can't do. And I have to buy the main quest info from Moriarty, which I have no money to do, so there's another trip to make. (Now, it's not bad, just not very clear.)[/quote]

It's been awhile (game time) since I did the mission so my memory may be a bit off, but:

SPOILER: a non-spoiler really but you can never be too safe

You don't have to pay Moriarty for the info. You can either hack his computer terminal or if your speech is high enough I believe he'll just give you the info without the need for caps.

Played Call of Duty: World at War for the first time tonight.

The co-op campaign and multiplayer are good fun, as expected. Not as much fun as Gears 2's co-op campaign or Battlefield: Bad Company's multiplayer, but still fun.

Singleplayer campaign on Veteran difficulty so far seems harder than COD2 or COD4 on Vet, mostly because of the ridiculous number of grenades the enemy throws your way. I'm talking a neverending stream of grenades landing at your feet if you stay in the same place longer than a couple seconds. A little lame.

I'm curious about the Zombie Nazi mode. It's apparently unlocked after beating the game. Seems like it could be a Gears 2 Horde equivalent.

I'm playing Gladius. I'm having a blast and am continuously appalled at how pointlessly flawed this game is. I mean did anyone [i]playtest[/i] this? Love the concept; hate they way they executed it.

Does anyone have any recs as to similar games that aren't, you know, crappy?

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1585960' date='Nov 12 2008, 00.38']I had to play the whole thing in German as at the time getting the knight of the raven add on to work with the english version was a bit of a bugger. The guttural German stuff was kinda cool.[/quote]

Let me tell you that both writing and voice-acting are actually very decent, in German. I have heard that English localization is quite mediocre, but in the original these aspects are good.
BTW, it looks like the Orcs and Wargs in Valley of Mines are immune to archery damage with NoTR :uhoh:. It does prevent shameless exploits of yore and maintains the atmosphere, but it seems that being a pure sniper is no longer viable.

Inigima:

Gothic is a third-person over the shoulder action CRPG with very light adventure elements. I like it, obviously. It does have some unusual/idiosyncratic features, though:

1. All controls are keyboard, exclusively. You can use the mouse for looking around and nothing else.

2. You start very weak and most of the things can kill you and most of NPCs push you around. Early gameplay consists of sniping and running away in terror. Thankfully, you can outrun almost anything and monsters give up the chase relatively soon. Also, NPCs help you. It is very satisfying to gradually be able to get the better of things you were afraid of in the beginning, but it does mean that you'd be backtracking quite a lot.

3. It is relatively linear quest-wise after the 1st chapter (but free-form exploration is always enjoyable) and somewhat light on stats. There are no dialog stats and dialog options are few and far between.

However:

Landscape design is great. Climbing some rocky peak and looking at the width and breadth of the land while sun is rising/setting is a sublime experience. Also, hidden caches, lairs and NPCs are very well placed, so that exploration combines aesthetic pleasure, hunting drive and the ever present tingle of danger.

It is possible to climb, swim, dive, turn oneself into various animals and monsters (very fun!), roast meat, smith swords, etc.

Magic is OK, but nothing special.

NPCs have schedules, some of the monsters fight each other if you lure them together and hunt prey, etc.

The setting is interesting and unusual for a fantasy game

Well, it is an older game, so graphics and animation are no longer great, obviously, but art direction and design make up for it, IMHO.

[quote name='Rhaco' post='1587503' date='Nov 13 2008, 01.01']Singleplayer campaign on Veteran difficulty so far seems harder than COD2 or COD4 on Vet, mostly because of the ridiculous number of grenades the enemy throws your way. I'm talking a neverending stream of grenades landing at your feet if you stay in the same place longer than a couple seconds. A little lame.[/quote]
Ah, the Treyarch trademark! Think I made the right call skipping this one.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1586166' date='Nov 12 2008, 23.44']How's the first Gothic? It's up on gog.com for $10.[/quote]

It's a great game, but I'm not so sure how well the graphics and gameplay have traveled, certainly has its quirks but I fondly remember it. Get some Armour quick smart.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1588185' date='Nov 14 2008, 09.23']Ah, the Treyarch trademark! Think I made the right call skipping this one.[/quote]

I've got COD3 here and it's gathering dust, I set in on I think the second hardest difficulty level and got to a point where your gunning on a tank. Which means standing there exposed getting the shit shot out of you and dieing at random times no matter what you do. Not fun.

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1586388' date='Nov 13 2008, 02.58']And the menu's in FO3 suck! I find the stupid Pip-Boy to be quite difficult to read. Tiny print, green on black? They couldn't help me out by making it black on white and bumping the font size up a couple points? And the map is fuzzy. Maybe the Oblivion menu's fonts are a little bigger than they need to be, but at least I can read them.[/quote]

You probably don't have a HD TV do you, most new games suck on a CRT these days when it comes to text and maps. Oblivion is definitely friendlier in these terms.

A color change may help as some colors bleed out/look shitter on a CRT more than others. I've put mine to yellow so the fluorescent green doesnt hurt my precious plasma screen

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1586798' date='Nov 13 2008, 06.58']And I have to buy the main quest info from Moriarty, which I have no money to do, so there's another trip to make. (Now, it's not bad, just not very clear.)[/quote]

Or you could have hacked his computer/picked his safe/used your mad speech skills to get the info for free. Guess you have to go kill some molerats for caps instead.

(edit - geez, didn't realise I'd done 4 posts in a row in this thread, apologies)

Archived