Why does GRRM hate on Harry Potter?

Nails77

I just checked out GRRM's Not a Blog and today it mentioned something about forgiving Obama for being a HP fan (b/c he's also a Spiderman comics fan). I did a quick search on this board for anything mentioning his disdain for HP, but didn't find anything. Can someone here enlighten me on why he looks down on the HP books?

And I've seen some things where he makes funny comments on SoT (which are always appropriate), but are there other series that he makes comments about?

His outspokeness is interesting to me.

[quote name='Ran' post='1586064' date='Nov 12 2008, 05.05']GRRM has expressed some playful rancor towards Rowling and the [i]Harry Potter[/i] series ever since he lost "the Big One" (the Hugo award for Best Novel) to one of the Potter books.[/quote]

That makes sense, playful rancor is always good. I was hoping it was that and not actual bitterness at something just b/c it's popular. As much as I have enjoyed the ASOIAF books, it's easier to love them when the author is a "good guy." The corollary to that is, of course, that it's much more fun to bust on SoT b/c the author is such a tool.

[quote name='Nails77' post='1586628' date='Nov 12 2008, 20.22']That makes sense, playful rancor is always good. I was hoping it was that and not actual bitterness at something just b/c it's popular. As much as I have enjoyed the ASOIAF books, it's easier to love them when the author is a "good guy." The corollary to that is, of course, that it's much more fun to bust on SoT b/c the author is such a tool.[/quote]

The comment GRRM made didnt really seem like anything more than just ''playful rancor''. And from what I hear from many many sources is that GRRM is a really friendly and smart person. And one who doesnt preach a completely retarded philosophy all the time.

[quote name='Nails77' post='1585924' date='Nov 12 2008, 04.56']And I've seen some things where he makes funny comments on SoT (which are always appropriate), but are there other series that he makes comments about?[/quote]

He refuses to criticise Wheel of Time, because he reckons Robert Jordan's cover blurb on Game of Thrones got him a lot of readers.

Actually, whilst GRRM was no doubt disappointed by ASoS losing to [i]Goblet of Fire[/i], I think he was probably more offended by the fact that Rowling didn't take the award seriously and didn't bother sending a minion to collect it for three years.

[quote]And I've seen some things where he makes funny comments on SoT (which are always appropriate), but are there other series that he makes comments about?[/quote]

He wasn't too complimentary about Erikson, but then he only read the first 100 pages of the first book or so, and [i]everyone[/i] says that. After meeting Erikson recently he made comments about giving the series a fairer shake.

He's apparently turned into a bit of a Bakker fanboy. I'll be interested to see if [i]The Judging Eye[/i] gets any cover blurbs from him. He also gave [i]The Lies of Locke Lamora[/i] a good blurb. He's also said some good things about Abercrombie, but that may well be because so many other [b]ASoIaF[/b] fans have recced it rather than that he's read it himself.

GRRM is also a regular Robin Hobb, Jacqueline Carey (IIRC) and Bernard Cornwell fan.

[quote]He refuses to criticise Wheel of Time, because he reckons Robert Jordan's cover blurb on Game of Thrones got him a lot of readers.[/quote]

There's also the fact he hasn't read it ;)

Quote: Actually, whilst GRRM was no doubt disappointed by ASoS losing to [i]Goblet of Fire[/i], I think he was probably more offended by the fact that Rowling didn't take the award seriously and didn't bother sending a minion to collect it for three years.

Is this true? I thought the Hugo was the most prestigious SFF award there was. Seems unlikely that a fantasy author would disrespect it like that.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1586831' date='Nov 12 2008, 15.14']He's apparently turned into a bit of a Bakker fanboy. I'll be interested to see if [i]The Judging Eye[/i] gets any cover blurbs from him. He also gave [i]The Lies of Locke Lamora[/i] a good blurb. He's also said some good things about Abercrombie, but that may well be because so many other [b]ASoIaF[/b] fans have recced it rather than that he's read it himself.

GRRM is also a regular Robin Hobb, Jacqueline Carey (IIRC) and Bernard Cornwell fan.[/quote]

IIRC, his inspiration to write a fantasy series was Tad William's [i]Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn [/i]series. He's also a huge Jack Vance fan.

[quote name='BuckShotBill' post='1586900' date='Nov 12 2008, 21.50']Is this true? I thought the Hugo was the most prestigious SFF award there was. Seems unlikely that a fantasy author would disrespect it like that.[/quote]
The question is if she regards herself as a Fantasy author. A prestigious award [i]within[/i] the genre doesn't necessarily mean much to mainstream authors.

[quote name='Ran' post='1586894' date='Nov 12 2008, 20.48']I am fairly sure that George has indicated that he's read at least EotW.[/quote]

Really? Someone at the Colchester signing for AFFC asked him about WoT and he indicated he was unfamiliar with the characters and events of the series. Of course, I suppose he could have read the first book a decade or so ago and not recalled much about it.

Depending on how the question was phrased, GRRM may have pled ignorance to avoid getting put on the spot with WoT-bashing questions. But it's just as likely that it's long enough that he can't really discuss it.

[quote name='Nails77' post='1585924' date='Nov 11 2008, 23.56']And I've seen some things where he makes funny comments on SoT (which are always appropriate), but are there other series that he makes comments about?[/quote]
Has he really? I think I've seen one comment on SOT, and it was kind of an afterthought while he was talking about something else. I guess I should start reading his not-a-blog...

[quote name='Werthead' post='1587763' date='Nov 13 2008, 13.51']Really? Someone at the Colchester signing for AFFC asked him about WoT and he indicated he was unfamiliar with the characters and events of the series. Of course, I suppose he could have read the first book a decade or so ago and not recalled much about it.[/quote]

I suppose it depended on the question asked but it would seem to show a lack of tack on the questioner's end if Martin felt it was necessary to stress that he was unfamiliar with the characters and events of the series.

This sounds more like a case of "nerd deflection" to me. He decided to plead ignorance over debating his work against the competition. And that's the best case scenario for the question asked, it could have been a lot geekier.

Archived