Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

I'm wondering if Parris' response was the clue.

"woof woof"! - the hound

bred from wolfhounds - somebody that's Irish

some dna dug out of prehistoric direwolf bones --maybe was in Jurassic PArk or someone known for steriod use?

I'm really looking forward to teaching mine to 'fetch'. - Fetch...another movie clue?

I don't know. Maybe I am reading too much into what any of them say anymore..... :dunno:

Seems possible at least one of the sentences is a clue.. I don't think the hound itself would be a clue though.

If that were the case I would've guessed maybe someone like the aussie actor Matt Day, cause he starred in Hound of the Baskervilles on tv and a movie called Fetch. :P

That Matthew Willig guy is an an American, so he's unlikely to be cast. But based on that pic, I see Drogo, not the Hound. :lol:

Edit: well, seems like Mr. Willig might actually be interested in AGoT. Nearly a year ago (November 2008), someone on the IMDB forum said he would make a good Gregor, and it seems the actor himself responded:

Thanks Dave , Im checking into it but the casting is being done overseas. I'll just see about that....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2200632/board/n...p;p=1#123010385

If this is true, Sandor fangirls will be crying their eyes out. He can't really be considered handsome.

Yeah well, they're stupid, because Sandor was never considered handsome.

Edited by Morrigan

It's entirely possible that the westermen are going to speak with American accents; Dinklage is American, Coster-Waldau has largely acted in the U.S.

We know casting also took place in L.A. and N.Y., so they clearly expanded things a bit. It's true, though, that he could also fit for Drogo.

It's entirely possible that the westermen are going to speak with American accents; Dinklage is American, Coster-Waldau has largely acted in the U.S.

We know casting also took place in L.A. and N.Y., so they clearly expanded things a bit. It's true, though, that he could also fit for Drogo.

Hodor? :)

Yeah, considering GRRM said that his original perfect casting for the Hound years ago was Ron Perlman, I'm not sure that Sandor is supposed to be handsome.

And not all women squee over tormented souls. Just sayin' ;)

Yeah, considering GRRM said that his original perfect casting for the Hound years ago was Ron Perlman, I'm not sure that Sandor is supposed to be handsome.

Ron Perlman? Wow, I don't know where did I get my vision of the characters, but I don't see even one of them as GRRM did imagine them... :stunned:

If GRRM thinks Ron Perlman is the perfect Hound, then this Matthew Willig does at least have the look; I see him more like one of the dothrakis, but ok. Have you ever seen him acting?

Willig was a suitably threatening, murderous gangster in Dexter, but other than that, I've not seen him in anything. Obviously, because of his size and build, he gets cast in a lot of parts as "Big Brutal Tough Guy #1", but that's typecasting for you.

Now, I'll vote for Ray Stevenson, even if he has an enormously full schedule, and even if it looks wrong when he does you-know-what with you-know-who and all, but it will look just as shocking, if not worse, if one of those giants played him. Plus, scaling Sandor into gigantic proportions and brutality looks, would kind of de-humanize him, making it more difficult to show any sympathy for him down the line. And in any case, Ray Stevenson is hot. And Sandor is hot too. And in case dear Mr. Martin is wondering again, yes, Sandor is maybe the top fantasy-endusing character in his books, after Jamie-for-the-masses.

I'll stop writing now. We'll know by the end of the week anyway.

But Sandor is huge and brutal looking. You're not supposed to feel much sympathy for him. And GRRM has admitted that his fantasy-inducing-ness was a mistake, or at least unintended, from what I've heard. Parris or Ran may correct me on this.

Willig, however, is my favorite choice for the role. If he doesn't have a British accent, I think they should work with him to get one, because you're not going to get closer to the description than him. I remember hearing a while ago about the idea of him as Sandor, and Dalip Singh as Gregor, which would be excellent. If not for my complete inability to understand a word Singh says.

Willig was excellent in Dexter, and I think he'll be good in this. As I've said before, he's an actor with his eye on awards. Those actors generally tend to be serious about trying their hardest with a role. I say generally because Lindsay Lohan also said those things.

Edited by The Pita Enigma

You know, I admit, I don't quite understand why Stevenson is touted so much. I liked him very well as the happy-go-lucky killer Titus Pullo in Rome, but I never understood why this immediately suggested him as Sandor to so many people. Sandor is anything but happy-go-lucky, nor is he handsome. I suppose Stevenson suggests through his portrayal of Pullo that he can convey wanton brutality as well as some sort of .... soulfulness? Goodness? But I don't think that's what you want for the Hound. He needs to convey something much more cramped and damaged amidst his brutality. Maybe Stevenson circa The Punisher is closer to the mark? I don't know. Anyways, I liked Pullo, but there's nothing of Sandor Clegane in that character.

I won't complain if he's cast, since I think he can act well enough, but I'm just wondering why he leaps to mind for so many.

Edited by Ran

I somehow always imagined the Hound with more regular features. I wouldn't say handsome, but I imagined a more or less common face, with the big scar as the only trait that inspires fear in teenage girls. I imagine him as a guy that could have been normal, just a face in the crowd, but now knows he won't ever be.

Dunno. The Hound has to be tall and strong. Besides this, the most important is that he can communicate bitter, frustrated rage.

They can be fun in books, but in real life they're too much work. :P

And I never thought Pullio was handsome. So tastes vary a lot (just look at the Tamzin Merchant discussion which shows that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that goes for girls looking at guys as well ;) ).

I suppose Stevenson suggests through his portrayal of Pullo that he can convey wanton brutality as well as some sort of .... soulfulness? Goodness? But I don't think that's what you want for the Hound. He needs to convey something much more cramped and damaged amidst his brutality. Maybe Stevenson circa The Punisher is closer to the mark? I don't know.

I think you are forgetting some of Pullo's darker moments - like when he murdered Eirene's fiance in cold blood or just how bestial he could be in a fight, monstrous really.

Not so, not so. I'm a Sandor fangirl--he's powerfully attractive because of who he is, not what he looks like. There's something about a soul in torment with itself that just draws women's feelings like a magnet. Yes, Sandor's a brute, but unlike 99.99% of other brutes, he knows what he is and he hates himself for it. That's powerful stuff.

Yeah, there is something truly endearing about a man that can cut a little boy nearly in two and laugh about it as he hands his bloody corpse over to the boy's father.

I thought you were full of it.

until I looked it up.

just to add one thing to this.

I hope Conan Stevens isn't just hoping for Benioff and Weiss to give him a call.

I hope he's actively pursuing it, and hope he's reading the books because from what I can tell from his website - he doesn't understand Gregor all that well.

Here are the Giant characters:

am I missing any?

What order should they go in?

Gregor - 7'5" definitely the biggest - could be Conan Stevens, or a few other real life Giants like Paul Wight - none need to be great actors

Sandor - 6'8" - I think, but I don't know where I got that. - Needs good acting Chops, I'm guessing Willig who's up and coming, and probably not to expensive.

Drogo - supposed to be the largest man among thousands of Dothraki. - should have a more exotic look, Mongolian, or Asian maybe.

Robert - 6'6" - probably undersized (cast wise). - already cast.

Hodor - "half Giant," although that might be from more then his height. :) - doesn't need to be a great actor.

Tormund Giantsbane

Shagga

Greatjon Umber - He's the older one?

Smalljon Umber - He's the younger one but bigger then his father correct?

And of course lots of Giants ridding Mammoths, but I'm guessing they'll be CGI.

Edited by DocBean

I didn't forget those moments, but they're the wanton brutality I already mentioned. If it's just bestial brutality, plenty of actors can do that, so I'm assuming people are stuck on Stevenson for his portrayal of Pullo that somehow fits Sandor in their mind... Is it really just that? A couple of the dark scenes?

DocBean,

He dropped Mycah's body at Ned's feet. Ned wasn't the boy's father, of course.

Drogo - supposed to be the largest man among thousands of Dothraki. - should have a more exotic look, Mongolian, or Asian maybe.

Wait, Drogo was the largets man in his khalasar? I knew he was undefeated, and probably a larger guy, but I don't think this description is accurate.

You know, I admit, I don't quite understand why Stevenson is touted so much. I liked him very well as the happy-go-lucky killer Titus Pullo in Rome, but I never understood why this immediately suggested him as Sandor to so many people. Sandor is anything but happy-go-lucky, nor is he handsome. I suppose Stevenson suggests through his portrayal of Pullo that he can convey wanton brutality as well as some sort of .... soulfulness? Goodness? But I don't think that's what you want for the Hound. He needs to convey something much more cramped and damaged amidst his brutality. Maybe Stevenson circa The Punisher is closer to the mark? I don't know. Anyways, I liked Pullo, but there's nothing of Sandor Clegane in that character.

I won't complain if he's cast, since I think he can act well enough, but I'm just wondering why he leaps to mind for so many.

No offense, but that's the definition of typecasting.

My thinking is that Stevenson is an actor capable of pulling off a textured character like Pullo with that much screen time, then he could have the chops to bring the Hound to life, even if he's a very different character. That's what any good actor should attempt.