Twilight

The Anti-Targ

Yes, I'm talking about the book here. There is no way I'm seeing the movie.

I say book in the singular because I read the first one and I have no intention of going further in the series.

But many adult friends and family devoured the series and thought it was fantastic. So my question is am I completely off base with the impression I got from the first book, or are there others who also don't give the series much cred?

My wife read the whole series, and while she generally enjoyed reading the series she didn't like the ending much.

If you are going to put stuff in spoiler tags for my sake don't worry, because I already know how it all ends (and yeah it does sound pretty lame). Though you could post in spoiler tags for the sake of others who might read the thread and want to give the series a go.

This is Eragon level, not HP level. Think of it like that.

And yes, I've been recommended Eragon by many of my older friends. I contain my urge to shake them viorously going "HAVE YOU NO TASTE!?!?!?!?".

[quote name='Bach' post='1603980' date='Nov 30 2008, 17.33']I resisted HP until 2004.... should I resist this or just give in.[/quote]

Resistance is futile (sorry, I couldn't resist. That said, I think that, in this case, you probably should resist.)

My friend read the first 100 pages, because his girlfriend threatened to stop having sex with him. He gave up on the book, and told her there was no way he could finish, even with her threat. I took that story as fairly convincing evidence of it's low quality.

[quote name='Bach' post='1603980' date='Dec 1 2008, 11.33']I resisted HP until 2004.... should I resist this or just give in.[/quote]

I read the whole HP saga and enjoyed it. It is simple fare with enough intrigue to hold one's attention. I had never even heard of HP until whatever year book 4 came out (probably like most adults who didn't have 11 year old children/relatives).

Based on my opinion of Twilight, and the fact that you held out on HP (whereas I read it without hesitation), I say don't give in to peer pressure.

But if you like doe-eyed, teenage angst romance with a bit of revisionist vampire mythos thrown in for good measure then it might just be for you.

'Course I'm not against vampire revisionism per se. Given GRRM has engaged in it himself, and it wasn't too bad (though I'm glad he stopped at one Fevre Dream novel).

[quote name='Shryke' post='1603989' date='Nov 30 2008, 23.00']And yes, I've been recommended Eragon by many of my older friends. I contain my urge to shake them viorously going "HAVE YOU NO TASTE!?!?!?!?".[/quote]

This are circumstances under which book burning can be condoned.

Eragon is one such.

-Poobs

I feel bad for some of you....all of my buddies are dead set against the Twilight phenomenon, so I haven't got anyone breathing down my neck about it (although the case was different with Eragon).

[url="http://impishidea.com/criticism/?c=Twilight"]http://impishidea.com/criticism/?c=Twilight[/url]

[url="http://impishidea.com/criticism/221/all-men-should-strive-to-be-more-like-edward"]http://impishidea.com/criticism/221/all-me...ore-like-edward[/url]

[url="http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/wordpress/?page_id=51"]http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/wordpress/?page_id=51[/url]

Everything you need to know about Twilight

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1604161' date='Dec 1 2008, 16.13'][quote name='Deluge' post='1604004' date='Dec 1 2008, 12.25']
My friend read the first 100 pages, because his girlfriend threatened to stop having sex with him.[/quote]

Your friend isn't doing it right.
[/quote]

So true, words are inadequate to describe the essential truth contained in those 6 words.

[quote name='Yngwie the Enforcer' post='1604146' date='Nov 30 2008, 21.53']I have otherwise intelligent friends who have gone apeshit over insipid tripe like [i]Twilight[/i] and [i]Eragon[/i]. Safe to say, I do not take book recommendations from them, ever.[/quote]

Agreed. I am doin my best though, as I've gotten quite a few people onto Bakker, GRRM, Erikson and so on.

I saw the first book at the bookstore the other day at a really good price but I didn't get it. I'm thinking I'll manage to resist the Twilight mania.

I did read the Harry Potter series. I thought the first three books were great for kids and that's why I read them, because it's my job to know what kids read-if they do. I had no interest in reading more of the books but dalThor had a soft spot for them and he convinced me to read the rest. They were not bad and I enjoyed the fact that they got darker and less childish, to a degree.

The really sad thing is, probably more people read Twilight knowing full well it's crap in advance just to have a laugh at it than people who read some of the far more deserving books. Everyone wants to join the club of bashing these books. There really is no such thing as bad publicity.

[quote name='Faulkner' post='1604219' date='Dec 1 2008, 04.51']All the excerpts I've read have made me cringe with pain. It's worse than some of the Goodkind garbage I've read.

Don't give into the media hype and read this tripe.[/quote]

It's actually worse than Goodkind, if that can be believed. I seriously worry about the young women taking Bella as a role model.

I recently read the first book. To me it is the written equivalent of Panda Express, (for those who don't know Panda Express is a chain of fast food Chinese restaurants) . It's edible, if you are in the right mood it is even crazable; but most of the time it just a greasy, processed, stomach churning imitation of some thing that can be so delicious.

Twilight has its draws. Mostly that it is a story about forbidden love, with a huge helping of angst. If I had been a teenager when I found it I would have eaten it up with a spoon. I would have railed against all of you as only being able to hate on it because you did not understand the true nature of love. I would have had an Edward poster in my room, and silver "Twilight Replica" chocker from Hot Topic...

But as a well read adult I made this face a lot while reading it :sick: . That Stephanie Meyers has said that Edward is at least partially based on Mr. Darcy makes me want to hurt her; badly. If you are an adult with standards I can not in good faith recommend this book to you. Unless you A. Want to laugh and point or B. are a sucker for forbidden love story, and want a guilty pleasure read. Otherwise this book will drive you crazy.

One of the things that is so frustrating about the book is the authors use of adjectives and adverbs. They are every other freak'n word; yet despite this she rarely actually describes anything. The best and most obvious example of this is Edward. We know that he has honey colored hair, marble like skin, and eyes that range from ocher to black depending on when his last meal was. Yet despite the fact that 3/4 of the book is Bella either looking at his face, imagining his face, or dreaming about his face, we never get a better description then "angelic" "god like" or "painfully beautiful". It reminds me of someone trying to sell you something yet refusing to actually tell you what it looks like.

Another thing that drove me a bit wild was how many times Edward had a "half smile" a "crooked smile" or an "uneven grin". Seriously did he have a stroke? Is half of his face paralyzed? Does he just like making this face :leer:?

But what really was sandpaper to my sunburn was Bella. She is such a blatant Mary Sue it is astounding. Every boy who ever meets her falls for her, every girl wants to be her friend, the only girls who are mean to her are jealous of her; and yet despite this we are supposed to believe that she is an ugly ducking. Her one flaw is that she falls down, a lot. To the point that when she is about to get gang raped she doesn't try to run away because she knows that she will fall down before she can run the two blocks to safety. :|

If you have any desire to read the book, go see the movie. It is an edited version of the book, and the between the editing and the actress who plays her, Bella actually comes off as a more believable character. If you can't stomach the movie, don't even attempt the book. You will realize that the actors weren't doing a bad a job; the characters they where playing were just that pathetic.

Archived