I heard the Malazan books are good

Darkstar8

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1652198' date='Jan 16 2009, 22.02']Edit: yeah, it has been years for me. Like back from the old board years. Cuz like, I read it [url="http://www.amazon.ca/Gardens-Moon-Steven-Erikson/dp/0765348780/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232168658&sr=1-6"]forever[/url] ago and we talked about it then. Like, five years ago. I call that years, not three months. Or do you think the very first and only thread was from then???[/quote]

I'm talking about being surprised [b]the board[/b] is not getting all that worked up (like usual in a Malazan thread, as evidenced by the examples linked above). You seem to be talking about only yourself not getting worked up.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1652133' date='Jan 16 2009, 20.21']No, people have already vented most of their spleen and don't really get fussed about it anymore.[/quote]

Why would you think that because people talked about it "Like, five years ago." that nobody else is still talking (arguing really) about it now? Especially when presented with evidence that people still do "really get fussed about it."

Guest thebadlady
You asked why [b]I[/b] didn't read the thread and I answered. I imagine anyone who has read the series, or even part of it, and posts here has already posted several times. My theory why this hasn't gotten nasty is because people are tired of repeating themselves. Esp when the OP is so generic. Tell someone why a series is 'good'? If someone is going to need to be told what is good, what they should read, then they deserve the most meh answer they can get. May as well tell them they can grow feathers out of their ass if they cover it with egg whites.

Get my drift?

Don't know why you feel the need to insult the op.

Besides, REG is right. You postulated that people don't "get fussed" about it any more, he showed you that that supposition is wrong. Now you try to back talk your own original assertions in an attempt to somehow prove you were not wrong.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1652243' date='Jan 16 2009, 23.17']You asked why [b]I[/b] didn't read the thread[/quote]

Nope, that never happened.

Which may be why your last reply was so confusing (and that's why I only quoted the ETA portion).

[quote]and I answered. I imagine anyone who has read the series, or even part of it, and posts here has already posted several times. My theory why this hasn't gotten nasty is because people are tired of repeating themselves. Esp when the OP is so generic. Tell someone why a series is 'good'? If someone is going to need to be told what is good, what they should read, then they deserve the most meh answer they can get. May as well tell them they can grow feathers out of their ass if they cover it with egg whites.

Get my drift?[/quote]

The board is riddled with threads that are generic and have posters arguing about the exact same thing that they've argued about many, many times before (especially Malazan). Hence my original query about [i]this particular thread[/i] being tame, when just three months ago there was a generic Malazan thread that devolved into the typical bickering about the series.

I agree that it gets very annoying the way the same threads keep popping up here, and it's often tiresome to post an opinion in each incarnation when the old threads are still active.

Edited for grammar

Guest thebadlady
I take it back. Both of you are fussed by the mere existence of...what?

Insult the OP? Is the post not lazy? Does it not ask others to think for her/him/it? Does it not, actually, demand that someone think for it? If you want to make a name by telling the unwashed masses what to think about a fantasy series on the internet, great. I said that after years of the same repetitive arguments, I doubt if anyone is going to jump into the fray. [Edit: and by anyone, I mean anyone who doesn't enjoy repeating themselves. Unless peeps keep copies of their posts for these sorts of occasions? hmmm...that wouldn't be a bad idea actually.] Unless you are looking for a flame war?

Me? The Board? I guess after this long I have been assimilated into the board's network. We know resistance is futile.

Maybe it is the time of the Erikson flame fest in the yearly cycle of the same exact posts over the last five years. Or maybe no one really gives a fuck anymore and can't bother to summon the outrage at this point.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1652251' date='Jan 16 2009, 22.46']I take it back. Both of you are fussed by the mere existence of...what?

[Edit: and by anyone, I mean anyone who doesn't enjoy repeating themselves. Unless peeps keep copies of their posts for these sorts of occasions? hmmm...that wouldn't be a bad idea actually.][/quote]
This portion negates your entire point. Everyone is stupid, except the people who aren't. You made a bold claim, were proven wrong, and now try to pretend you never made the claim. But it's in writing, just up-thread. Don't get mad at us because you can't handle being called out.

And by the way, just because you think someone is lazy is no excuse for being so rude. I see no problem with the op asking is this series is good. Have you never asked anyone if anything is good? No probably not, you're too intellectually superior to have ever done anything so inexcusable stupid and lazy.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1652251' date='Jan 16 2009, 23.46']I take it back. Both of you are fussed by the mere existence of...what?[/quote]

Lack of reading comprehension and extremely odd statements like this:

[quote]Me? The Board? I guess after this long I have been assimilated into the board's network. We know resistance is futile.[/quote]

You obviously aren't that in tune with the current climate of the Lit board. This ain't the ezboard of 5 years ago.

[quote]Maybe it is the time of the Erikson flame fest in the yearly cycle of the same exact posts over the last five years. Or maybe no one really gives a fuck anymore and can't bother to summon the outrage at this point.[/quote]

Yet only a mere three months ago they could they could :rolleyes:

And with that I'm done arguing with you. Goodnight.

Guest thebadlady
Rude? An asshole? People are stupid unless they aren't stupid?

Look to yourself. How long have you been a blessed 'lemming of discord'? That entire thread series is so disgusting that GRRM mentioned it after hearing bad things about the people at this site. Proud of yourself and the rest of the assholes who have spent years making fun of one man? What a stupid display of pseudo intellectualism and disgusting superiority complex.

No, I don't like goodkind. Yes, I know he is a shitty author and person. Who gives a shit? There are thousands more like him. Get over it already.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1652261' date='Jan 16 2009, 23.13']Rude? An asshole? People are stupid unless they aren't stupid?

Look to yourself. How long have you been a blessed 'lemming of discord'? That entire thread series is so disgusting that GRRM mentioned it after hearing bad things about the people at this site. Proud of yourself and the rest of the assholes who have spent years making fun of one man? What a stupid display of pseudo intellectualism and disgusting superiority complex.

No, I don't like goodkind. Yes, I know he is a shitty author and person. Who gives a shit? There are thousands more like him. Get over it already.[/quote]
And how does this have anything to do with what we were discussing? Do you really think the old change the subject tactic will fool anybody? And yes, you are rude. Extremely so. Like REG I'm done arguing with you. Call me when you're ready to be honest with yourself and with me, and when you're ready to string together a few coherent sentences.

I tried to read the first book when I was 16 and totally blew it, as I couldn´t understand much of what was going on. Years (and a University degree in literature) later I´ve tried the series a second time and I am now reading up to Memories of Ice.

Now why did I stop the first time? Well most certainly because the whole plot structure is a mess, most characters are underdeveloped and Ericson seems to have a particulary liking to superlatives. However, the series has a very unique feeling and I am really looking forward to the next books. One just has to try the books (several times if necessary).

[quote name='Candre' post='1652967' date='Jan 18 2009, 12.32']I tried to read the first book when I was 16 and totally blew it, as I couldn´t understand much of what was going on. Years (and a University degree in literature) later I´ve tried the series a second time and I am now reading up to Memories of Ice.

Now why did I stop the first time? Well most certainly because the whole plot structure is a mess, most characters are underdeveloped and Ericson seems to have a particulary liking to superlatives. However, the series has a very unique feeling and I am really looking forward to the next books. One just has to try the books (several times if necessary).[/quote]

If I was your dad, I'd demand a complete refund.

So uh... at the risk of actually talking about the subject at hand... I'm about halfway through The Bonehunters and I don't get all the negativity I've read about it. I was prepared for a major snooze fest until the slam bang conclusion, but there has been sufficient action and developments that I have yet to see what the fuss was over. :dunno:

To fit in with the theme of the last few posts, should I accuse REG of being an intellectual lightweight and fostering laziness amongst random people on the internet? ;)

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can get worked up over the OP. People come here every day asking if a series is good or not and whether they should read it. Everyone just needs to take a step back and relax. Today is supposed to be a day of hope! :grouphug:

[quote name='Billy Clyde' post='1655725' date='Jan 20 2009, 16.14']So uh... at the risk of actually talking about the subject at hand... I'm about halfway through The Bonehunters and I don't get all the negativity I've read about it. I was prepared for a major snooze fest until the slam bang conclusion, but there has been sufficient action and developments that I have yet to see what the fuss was over. :dunno:[/quote]

I think people complain that it's not very well structured and lacks focus. Throughout the book you never really know where things are going, like in the other books. But I don't care about those things. The Bonehunters = :thumbsup:

My problem with TBH was that the awesome climax was in the middle, followed by half a book of loose-end-tying that didn't really grab interest, capped off with another awesome finale.
Plus the big buildup for a character that turned out to be a pussy was a bit of a waste.

I know I have said this before, but I will say this again. Reading this series is like hearing the ramblings of your drunk, yet very colorful Uncle Bob. Yes it wanders and lacks structure, but it is definately going somewhere. I enjoy it.

Don't agree.

If there's one think that the series has it's the structure. The whole thing was pre-planned (albeit not always smooth) and book 1 has already most seeds. I'm at the end of book 3 and there are already storylines that reach out to book 5 and books from Esslemont.

But Erikson is only human. The thing grew much more complex of anything I've seen. Lost (the tv series) shares some aspects, but that is made by an army of writers. Erikson is just one, and doesn't spend 10 years to write one book.

[quote name='Gormenghast' post='1656995' date='Jan 21 2009, 12.19']Don't agree.

If there's one think that the series has it's the structure. The whole thing was pre-planned (albeit not always smooth) and book 1 has already most seeds. I'm at the end of book 3 and there are already storylines that reach out to book 5 and books from Esslemont.

But Erikson is only human. The thing grew much more complex of anything I've seen. Lost (the tv series) shares some aspects, but that is made by an army of writers. Erikson is just one, and doesn't spend 10 years to write one book.[/quote]
I respectfully disagree. I think Erikson has a plan on where things go, I think there are certain things that he wants to occur. I think he has an ending in mind and is definately attempting to center around a couple of central themes

Alot of the series reads with several retcons and major changes to the world and character motivation that really don't make a whole lot of sense. I agree he has tangents, but I do not agree that they are well organized.

What I am trying to say is that Erikson knows that there is a point A, a point B, a Point C and so fourth, just he closes his eyes and almost lets chance dictate how those dot gets connected. It is his style. I remember reading back in a couple of threads that he doesn't really edit or proof, he basically goes off of one draft. While interesting, it doesn't strike me as well-planned.

[quote name='polishgenius' post='1656764' date='Jan 21 2009, 11.31']My problem with TBH was that the awesome climax was in the middle, followed by half a book of loose-end-tying that didn't really grab interest, capped off with another awesome finale.
Plus the big buildup for a character that turned out to be a pussy was a bit of a waste.[/quote]

Do you consider the climax to be
SPOILER: TB
Paran at Poliel's temple?
. I never really thought of that being the climax though it is one of my favorite parts. Actually I can't really think of a fitting climax since the threads aren't tied togther that well. Even so, I loved the book.

Archived