The Book I Bought Today - 4th Edition

Werthead

[quote name='beniowa' post='1679202' date='Feb 8 2009, 17.28']90% of the people who contract the virus die from it. The term for that is "drawing the black queen". Those that survive but are deformed are jokers. Deuces are those that develop some minor power such as the ability to change eye color. Aces, of course, have some truly amazing abilities. And nats are normal people that have not been exposed or affected by the virus.[/quote]
It says that John Fortune drew the black queen... Why is he still alive?

Stubby, you say addiction as if it were a bad thing. ;)

[quote name='The Pita Enigma' post='1682595' date='Feb 11 2009, 01.24']It says that John Fortune drew the black queen... Why is he still alive?[/quote]
Well, like I said there's a bit of blurring. One character in the older books "died", but that activated his wild card, caused him to regenerate and to come back to life. So he was still alive even though he drew the black queen. John Fortune seems to be a special case. I haven't read all the books so I don't know the exact details but it seems that his father, Fortunato, sacrificed himself to save John's life and to save the world. Someone else might be able to explain it more than I can.

[quote name='Deornoth' post='1684336' date='Feb 12 2009, 17.01']I didn't actually buy this book but I got home to find an ARC of China Mieville's 'The City and The City' waiting for me :thumbsup:[/quote]

Ah, this might be the package that is waiting for me at the post office. Will have to double-check that.

I've also got the first two [b]Mistborn [/b]books and [i]Rome Burning[/i] supposed to show up any day now.

The Night Watch, The Day Watch, and The Twilight Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. Meanwhile enjoying The Night Watch. A book with vampires that isn't caught up with "Vampires are the awesomest thing EVAR".
The Color of Magic+The Light Fantastic Comic Book by Terry Pratchett & some others. A bit of a waste...
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller- Have yet to read.
Yes, I'm in kind of a spree. But it's over now...

[quote name='The Pita Enigma' post='1687245' date='Feb 15 2009, 07.29']A book with vampires that isn't caught up with "Vampires are the awesomest thing EVAR".[/quote]

Speaking of which... I finally found a copy of [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Let-Right-John-Ajvide-Lindqvist/dp/1847248489/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234689343&sr=1-2"]Let the right one in[/url] by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Looking forward to it...

[quote name='Xalinor' post='1687226' date='Feb 15 2009, 07.44']The Fires of Heaven - Robert Jordan (Because you aren't a true fantasy fan if you don't read the Wheel of Time)[/quote]
I´m a little concerned about this argument.
perhaps i should go pick it up.
at least to see what everyones talking about.
I so wan´t to be a [b]true[/b] fantasy fan:).
I seem to have been deluded for so many years.

Archived