The Iain M. Banks Thread

Werthead

I admit, I plan to re-read Consider Phlebas following so many who weren't blown away by it. Perhaps my initial "HOLY COW THIS IS MASSIVE" got in the way of my more considered appreciation of its qualities and failings. But mostly, it's the "HOLY COW" that lingers. I think I recall remarking after first reading it that it would translate as the most amazing SF universe ever put on the screen if someone dared it. The sheer scale of things like GCUs, Orbitals, the Idrian-Culture War, is and remains mind-boggling to me.

I admit, I plan to re-read Consider Phlebas following so many who weren't blown away by it. Perhaps my initial "HOLY COW THIS IS MASSIVE" got in the way of my more considered appreciation of its qualities and failings. But mostly, it's the "HOLY COW" that lingers. I think I recall remarking after first reading it that it would translate as the most amazing SF universe ever put on the screen if someone dared it. The sheer scale of things like GCUs, Orbitals, the Idrian-Culture War, is and remains mind-boggling to me.

I think I'd probably have liked Consider Phlebas more if it had been the first Culture book I'd read. Since I'd already read Use of Weapons, Player of Games and The State of the Art, I was already familiar with the scale of the Culture and its ships so it probably didn't have quite the same impact it would have had if I'd read it first. That said, some scenes such as the escape from the GSV were still very impressive.

Ah, it would be pretty sweet.

I'm reading The Wasp Factory right now. So darkly comic and disturbing- I have to admit I'm enjoying it more that I probably should! It's under Iain Banks (without the M. but the same author), it's his first novel from 1985 and is now considered to be one of the best novels of the 20th century. I'm already recommending it to everyone I know who could handle the storyline and I haven't even finsished it yet.

I haven't read any of his other novels, but after this I'm going out to get another- probably one of his sci-fi stories. This guy is amazing!

• 4 weeks later...

Use of Weapons is my favorite. I got my book club to read it and not one of those dirty bitches even finished the book. :cry:

In a totally different genre, The Crow Road is good.

Consider Phlebas is a brilliant novel. I don't really remember the exact details at the moment but I remember it blew my mind back when I read it initially. The sense of wonder instigated by the society depicted was immense.

my question is though, how is the plot? Is it all just some cool backstory and world building, or is there an arc to it?

I finished Matter, which, while interesting and enjoyable, wasn't as good as it could have been.

Consider Phlebas certainly has a strong narrative running through it. There's a kind of a MacGuffin, in that everyone is after an advanced Culture Mind that's escaped to a quarantined planet and is now helpless. The backdrop is the huge Idrian-Culture war, and the main character is an agent of the Idrians who's trying to recover the Mind for them.

Wasp Factory was so disturbing :thumbsdown: . I was actually physically disgusted throughout much of my reading experience and I only read about half of the book. I gave up because I was on the verge of puking or tearing the book to pieces or both. No book has ever caused such a reaction in me ever since. And please don't tell me I missed the best parts, as I'm not giving that evil book another chance. Call me a book prude, I just don't see the point in writing or reading such trash.

The Wasp Factory is nowhere near the top of my Most Disturbing Reads list. Stephen R. Donaldson gets that prize easy, but I'd also say things such as Richard K Morgan (like, all of his stuff. Yes, it's awesome, but it's also...unsettling) or even Erikson (chain of dogs) are higher up the list than TWF.

• 2 months later...

I adore Banks too, but I've never gotten around the main Iain M. Banks novels yet, although I plan to. I started on Consider Phlebas, but put it down. Some people on this thread seem to like it so I'll give another go. I also enjoyed Inversions, Wasp Factory, Espedair St. I thought the ending of the Bridge was unsatisfactory. The Steep Approach to Garbandale read like Dick Lit, but I'm ok with it because I like Alban. My favorite is Whit, or Isis Amongst the Unsaved. It's one of my top fave books. Rollicking read!

Whit gets bagged on quite a lot, but I really enjoy it; I love the way all those crazy religious traditions developed, like forbidding shopping because they don't get on with their shopkeeper inlaws... :D

Of the M-less Banks books though, it doesn't get better than Complicity. Now that's a harrowing read.

Edit: for those that have read the shitfest that is Garbadale, here's an entertaining pisstake.

I adore Banks too, but I've never gotten around the main Iain M. Banks novels yet, although I plan to. I started on Consider Phlebas, but put it down.

A tip - if you found CP to be tough to get into, try starting with Player of Games instead. It's lighter but still very good, and after PoG you are at least familiar with a lot of the concepts.

Whit gets bagged on quite a lot, but I really enjoy it; I love the way all those crazy religious traditions developed, like forbidding shopping because they don't get on with their shopkeeper inlaws... :D

Of the M-less Banks books though, it doesn't get better than Complicity. Now that's a harrowing read.

Edit: for those that have read the shitfest that is Garbadale, here's an entertaining pisstake.

I knew I forgot something: Complicity! Thanks for the reminder. :) Harrowing, indeed, but very good. The M-less books are hits and misses, I think. Most of the time, they need better editing. But the redeeming factor for me are the protagonists. I thought Whit is a unique character/ voice and the crazy cult and her interaction with her Texan grandma (Goochi!) are just funny. Also, the fact that Morag is not a um, ah, world-class musician they thought she is. :D

A tip - if you found CP to be tough to get into, try starting with Player of Games instead. It's lighter but still very good, and after PoG you are at least familiar with a lot of the concepts.

I'm not sure I'd really say PoG was any lighter than CP.

I see Banks is doing a book signing next Saturday at Forbidden Planet in London for his new book Transition. I'm considering going along to it.

Anyone read Transition yet? Any opinions? From the summary it does sound a bit more like a 'M' book even thought it is officially an 'Iain Banks' book.

The first Banks book I read was Player of Games, and then went straight on to Consider Phlebas.

I think the emphasis on characters in PoG makes getting to know the Culture a bit easier than diving right into the complexities of CP without any previous knowlege of the Culture and what it's about.

They're both great reads, no matter the order they're read in.

To a comment above, CP would make a monumental Sci-Fi flick if anyone were brave enough to take it on. :thumbsup:

Archived