The Best Free Science Fiction

Stego

[size=4][b]MORE!
[/b][/size]

-[b][url="http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/firewatch.htm"]Fire Watch[/url][/b] by Connie Willis

-[url="http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/exotown.htm"][b]Exo-Skeleton Town[/b][/url] by Jeffrey Ford

-[url="http://www.horrormasters.com/Text/a0049.pdf"][b]An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge[/b][/url] by Ambrose Bierce

-[url="http://dorinta19.bizland.ro/FLOWERS%20FOR%20ALGERNON%20.htm"][b]Flowers For Algernon[/b][/url] by Daniel Keyes

[i]None of these stories feature time-traveling, horny Vikings slash Navy SEALS.

fail. [/i]

Thank fuck.

This was my birthday present from a well loved mod. My retinas are only now just recovering...

N

[quote name='Chaldanya' post='1692028' date='Feb 19 2009, 07.57'][i]None of these stories feature time-traveling, horny Vikings slash Navy SEALS.

fail. [/i]

Thank fuck.

This was my birthday present from a well loved mod. My retinas are only now just recovering...

N[/quote]

My CLEET! I'm looking for my CLEET. :lol: :ack:

Tell me, how many days was it before you could look at yourself in the mirror without the creeping shame?

More free SF! Maybe not a classic (yet), but it's one of my favorite recent stories.

[url="http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/rowe/rowe1.html"]The Voluntary State[/url] - Christopher Rowe

[i]Tell me, how many days was it before you could look at yourself in the mirror without the creeping shame? [/i]

Still not there yet...

I'm thinking of starting a review thread of them. Do you there are 12 of those fuckers. Also the author's website has to be seen to be believed (it's complete with a full complement of dumb blonde, stupid men and irish jokes - oh the hilarity! :ack:)

N

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1691316' date='Feb 18 2009, 17.47']Tips for reading off a screen.[/quote]

also, if all else fails, cut and paste them into a Word document. Change the font & margins and such to reduce page count and then print it out and read it. That's what I usually do.

[quote name='Chaldanya' post='1692106' date='Feb 19 2009, 06.02'][i]Tell me, how many days was it before you could look at yourself in the mirror without the creeping shame? [/i]

Still not there yet...

I'm thinking of starting a review thread of them. Do you there are 12 of those fuckers. Also the author's website has to be seen to be believed (it's complete with a full complement of dumb blonde, stupid men and irish jokes - oh the hilarity! :ack:)

N[/quote]

For those of us not in the know, what is the name of this author? :huh:

Nevermind, I found it. Put Viking in Chains on my wish list at B&N. Will get it on my next order.

Just read Asimov's [i]Nightfall[/i], f*%king awesome. How he drew out the same kind of feeling I got at the end of reading [i]I Am Legend[/i] in such a short piece is damn impressive. I checked out the local library catalogue and there's a Nightfall novel by Asimov in collaboration with Robert Silverberg. What's the good oil on this expanded piece?

Stego, would you consider it appropriate to post some of Clark Ashton Smith's stories too? It's not hardcore SF, but most of his stories have heavy SF themes, especially if you call Lovecraft SF.

[quote name='ithanos' post='1694517' date='Feb 20 2009, 20.19']I checked out the local library catalogue and there's a Nightfall novel by Asimov in collaboration with Robert Silverberg. What's the good oil on this expanded piece?[/quote]
Vastly inferior to the original short story, unfortunately. Don't bother.

More thoughts on reading from a screen:

- If the format permits it, try using a dark or black background with a light (but not white) foreground and sans-serif font. As mentioned above, more light means more trouble reading. Pure white on black is somewhat tough to read, but [color="#88cc88"]something like this[/color] seems to be pretty easy on the eyes.

- Some readers allow fullscreen rotation. Since you don't want other distracting crap on screen, and computer displays are horizontal, you can get a nicer experience by rotating the display. Of course, you need to be using a laptop or something where you can physically rotate the display as well.

Hmm. Add me to the 'can't read off screen' gang. I paste into Word, shrink the font as small as I can handle and print it off (double-sided, obviously!). Now I just have to wait until I get back to work so that the U of L can fund my short story habit. :)

You know what I do? I save these stories as text files, transfer them to my cellphone and read them on the train. If your phone supports Java, there are plenty of applications that can read text files.

Oddly enough, apart from the obvious portability improvement, I also find the cellphone screen to be easier on the eyes than a computer monitor. I once read a whole novel this way and it went pretty well, not like a paper book of course, but not as bad reading it on a computer.

For the record, I have a Sony Ericsson K610i and the program I use right now is called MTextReader. It's sort of messy with the bookmarks but otherwise it's OK. A warning though: the battery is drained faster than usual from the endless scrolling.

Archived