The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Somewhat related to the problems other people keep posting, I sometimes get that a page loads fully... then promptly unloads back to the logo only. For a split second, I can see all the pictures and images, then it goes all white. Why on Earth would a website do that? I mean, once I can see the text the job of loading the page should be done, right? Mostly, though, the page refuses to load at all. If I have an actual link to a wiki page, rapid-clicking it with the mouse wheel to open a bunch of tabs in quick succession sometimes helps.

The ?action=purge trick doesn't help either. I still only get the logo.

It's the load issue noted earlier. For whatever reason, a reboot of MySQL fixes it.

We should see load tapering off over the next week, and this should be a less common occurence.

GRRM had previously released a TWOW sample on his website in which Arianne

is at Ghost Hill in Dorne.

This is called "Arianne II" on the wiki.

GRRM has apparently read at WorldCon another Arianne chapter in which she

reaches Griffin's Roost in the stormlands, which would take place after leaving Ghost Hill.

Do we know of an earlier Arianne chapter (which would make the website sample "Arianne II" and the WorldCon reading "Arianne III"), or should the website sample be renamed "Arianne I"?

The way I understood it, there was an Arianne chapter where Arianne and Doran are mostly talking, and the sample chapter was simply not published completely..

That's the way I had understood it from the summaries on the Winds of Winter sub-forum

The thread with summaries

Quotes:

After the reading George did mention that the chapter was Arianne II and not Arianne I. He said the first Arianne chapter is set back in Sunspear and is about Doran learning about Aegon landing in the Stormlands and sending Arianne to go and gather information for him.

So it seems like the published chapter simply wasn't the complete chapter.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

But it was the same chapter he read during a reading, and where he stated that it was Arianne II? Like I quoted above.

The chapter released on the website takes place before the chapter read at WorldCon:

the website chapter takes place in Dorne, while the WorldCon chapter takes place in the stormlands.

This WorldCon summary indicates the read chapter (GRRM's Arianne II) is different from the website chapter (wiki's Arianne II).

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't the page of Daemon Blackfyre be renamed "Daemon I Blackfyre"? Since his son has a page titled "Daemon II Blackfyre"?

Since they never took the throne, maybe "Daemon Blackfyre (son of Daemon)" or "Daemon Blackfyre (John the Fiddler)"?

Separately, the wiki now has TWOIAF info from the recent westerlands reading, as well as info from a no-longer-available Faith Militant excerpt from last year. Have they been approved by Ran for the wiki?

Since they never took the throne, maybe "Daemon Blackfyre (son of Daemon)" or "Daemon Blackfyre (John the Fiddler)"?

That might indeed be better.

Separately, the wiki now has TWOIAF info from the recent westerlands reading, as well as info from a no-longer-available Faith Militant excerpt from last year. Have they been approved by Ran for the wiki?

A while back Ran posted this:

Not all previews are approved. PDFs are intended for internal use, and while it's out in public, it shouldn't really be used (especially the family tree -- that's old.)

My preference is that the wiki should not update based on unpublished or incomplete material. GRRM's reading a chapter doesn't mean that chapter is in final form, etc., and sometimes details can substantially change. Nothing is final -- not even those preview texts -- until they are published.

Sounds like a "preferably not" to me. So I guess it should probably be deleted.

Based on Ran's comments I think info from PDF excerpts (such as Faith Militant uprising) should be excluded at the least. I'm not sure about content that is at So Spake Martin, though. Ran has uploaded some previous TWOIAF material to So Spake Martin (such as ChiCon) in 2012, which have been used for numerous articles over the last few years. He also has linked to the recent ConCarolinas reading (the source for some recent edits), but has the disclaimer that it is not 100% accurate.

Are there any bots that can be used to quickly rename categories? With Wikipedia's category guidelines in mind, there are numerous categories that should be renamed; a few examples include:

*"Category:Images By Artist" to "Category:Images by artist"

*"Category:Images of Weirwood Trees" to "Category:Images of weirwood trees" or "Category:Images of weirwoods"

*"Category:Location Images" to "Category:Location images" or "Category:Images of locations"

*"Category:Character Images" to "Category:Character images" or "Category:Images of characters"

*"Category:Places on the eastern continent" to "Category:Places in Essos"

*"Category:Ibbenese Places" to "Category:Places in Ibben"

It would take a long time to manually update each article to a new category.

• 4 weeks later...

Lately, I can no longer see the images on the wiki when I try to change their size from, for example, 300px to 250px. Does this happen to more people? At first I thought it was just the one image and it was just bad luck on my part that I had wanted to change the size of that particular one, but it is happening now with more images.

• 2 weeks later...

On several character pages, like Eddard Stark, amongst titles the title "Lord Paramount" is listed. Lord Paramount is only used for Petyr Baelish (Lord Paramount of the Trident). Should this title remain in the lists of titles? Or should it be removed?

Edit: I've removed them for the time being. If anyone disagrees with that, just say the word and I'll put them back.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Should Winds of Winter material from the sample chapters be included on pages other than their chapter summaries? Or should it be as we did with the Westerlands reading, where the material was included but in a very non-spoilery way? (granted, I'm.not sure how to include the Winds stuff in a non-spoilery way)

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any bots that can be used to quickly rename categories? With Wikipedia's category guidelines in mind, there are numerous categories that should be renamed;

It would take a long time to manually update each article to a new category.

Two others are Category:Nobles and Category:Noblewomen. The articles in Nobles should be moved to Noblemen, or Noblewomen should be merged into Nobles.

We have many disambiguation pages on the wiki, but their lay-out isn't the same overall:

There's disambiguation pages like this one

And this one

And this one

The first and the third are mostly the same in their layout..

But shouldn't we have one lay-out for all disambiguation pages, for consistency? And if so, which one is the best?