The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

I will just say this in my defense, since Evrach, who I would like to point out adds nothing to this wiki other than his 'experience', took a personal shot at me, is that if you guys wish to write it a certain way, YOU can write it. Making me do the work while you armchair general is unacceptable in my opinion.

I would also like to add that I tried to leave quietly and nicely without causing a stir. No angry words, no huff. Then I get attacked for that.

I also stopped work, because unbeknown to me, I did not know there was a rule about the tense of the articles. Scafloc sent me a message, which I admit, I had no idea what he was going on about. I thought he was talking about how I did not put the change of House Tully into recent events. So I changed it back. I apologize for not understanding, but I also will not be attacked Evrach. So keep your personal opinions about my actions to yourself.

As to your decision. I disagree with it. Actions are actions and are referred to in the past tense because they have already happened. Having two articles declaring in the first sentence that they are Lords Paramount in the present tense is only going to confuse people. Ditto for two houses that state they are Lord of Nightsong in the present tense for people who stumble onto the site without reading all the way through the books. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be up to date. Keeping Tully as lord of Riverrun in the first sentence is not up to date, it's misleading. That is why I cannot support your decision and why I choose not to aid in the construction of this site anymore.

Edited by The Pale Griffin

As discussed in the other thread, the third option of starting the entry with the status of House Tully "at the start of the series", strikes me as best for this and similar situations. 'At the start of the series, House Tully are the Lords Paramount of the Trident', and then when you get down to the end of ACoK and you note, 'King Joffrey names Petyr Baelish Lord Paramount of the Trident, granting him Harrenhal as his seat," and then for ASoS, 'King Tommen grants the remaining lands and titles to Ser Emmon Frey.'

This is both up-to-date, consistent, and prevents people from being spoiled right off the bat. The same could be said for the Starks, as well, the Baratheon status in relation to the Iron Throne, etc. 'At the start of the series' should be a pretty good default.

I'm going to add some additional thoughts in the other thread.

Edited by Ran

I will just say this in my defense, since Evrach, who I would like to point out adds nothing to this wiki other than his 'experience', took a personal shot at me, is that if you guys wish to write it a certain way, YOU can write it. Making me do the work while you armchair general is unacceptable in my opinion.

Just calm down boy, You know I'd really like to contribute more than I actually do. I'm just not capable of. English is not my native language and when I try to write - not write on a forum were you can have an approximative language and still be understood - but write on an encyclopaedia, it just suck. But I consider - personnal opinion - that this wiki, and the two others, and I hope someday, spanish and germans ones, are different sides of a same project. A project I care. That's why I wanted to inter-link the different languages. I'm not sleeping in my armchair (Hey I'd like some times ^^) I spend more than two years working for this project - on the side I can work on, hours each day, thousands of pages, hundred thousand of words, building all the templates and the frames. And I think it's really too bad that the activiest contributor on the english-side decided to stop working on it for a such stupid-grammar problem just because he don't agree with the others. it's no attack, it's disappointment.

BTW I still don't understand why there aren't more contributors on the english part o_O there's three active contributors on the russian, four on the french, and on th english, which have the biggest pool of fans speaking english that could help... there's just you and Scafloc (who have less time now than before). That not only disappointment. That's just sad in fact :worried:

Edited by Evrach

BTW I still don't understand why there aren't more contributors on the english part o_O there's three active contributors on the russian, four on the french, and on th english, which have the biggest pool of fans speaking english that could help... there's just you and Scafloc (who have less time now than before). That not only disappointment. That's just sad in fact :worried:

I wonder the same thing. Don't know how we can improve this.

It does help that new articles appear on a lot of pages on the right site of page. That was a smart idea that helped to make forum users aware of the wiki. They did not become major contributors but there were quit a few minor edits because of this.

Wikipedia is doing a major cleanup of the ASOIF pages there. I will post a notice on the project page there to invite people who want to contribute to AWOIAF

I've come up with a solution. I will continue to write everything like I am (such as House Tully being expelled), but I will always return the page to its present tense when I'm done like what Scafloc did when I edited the page the first time. That way when you put the filters in, you have both the AGOT, ACOK and ASoS pages up and ready to go, without having to edit edit edit. As for the houses of the stormlands info boxes I will make two, one War of the Five Kings and one post War of the Five Kings. On the unaltered pages like the present House Tully I will put the WotFK and on the altered pages, the post WotFK.

What about titles for Daenerys or Joffrey in their intros. Do we call them Princess and Prince for right now?

So if I am correct the reader of the article will choose the filter. The article will then show the appropriate sections. Correct?

On a functional level this is standard work; give a variable a value. Then based on the value this or that action is taken (show / unhide certain section). I don't know what the possibilities of Wiki templates are but the idea is great.

• 2 weeks later...

In the appendix of ASoS, it lists Eddara Tallhart as the heir of Torrhen's Square. This was written with Ser Helman still being alive. The question I have is a)if the Master of Torrhen's Square is a female, does the title become Lady or Mistress of Torrhen's Square b)How is it she surpasses Brandon Tallhart as the heir and c)now that we know Ser Helman is dead, do I make Brandon or Eddara the new Master of Torrhen's Square?

Brandon is Leobald's son, not Ser Helman's. Benfred Tallhart was heir until he was killed by Theon and his ironborn, leaving Eddara (Ser Helman's only surviving child) as his heir.

I would list Eddara as Lady of Torrhen's Square at this time. There's no clear sign that Mistress is used in that sense in the series.

• 2 months later...

The Ice and Fire wiki is back, with some changes. Users should now be able to log in, now that I've sorted that out.

We've moved the default skin to Vector for the time being, and recommend its use. We will eventually create a Vector variant that will match a color scheme we'd like to use to make it a little more distinctive.

We have added a few new extensions. The most notable of these is a WYSIWYG rich text editor that, we hope, will make it easier for users to contribute. It is entirely optional, and can be turned off! We've also added a navigational breadcrumb that will help users travel forward and backward around pages they've visited on the wiki.

If you are aware of any obvious, major extensions which should be included, or of current extensions that are broken because they are out of date, please post here and I'll see if I can fix it.

• 2 months later...

Been a long time since I post here ^^

We made made a lot of work on LGDN's wiki since then. Now the wiki is more than 4000 articles, and a new portal dedicated to HBO series is up.

We added new codes that allows new characters boxes, more flexible, that allows us to use more colors, rounded corners (only with mozilla firefox and google chrome at this time ; IE suxxx with codes), shades and halos. Exemple on Aegon I's article.

We added imagemap extension that allows us to make interactive clickables images or images where text appear when you put yout cursor on. Exemple on Winterfell plan (move your cursor on the image to see the text appear) or King's Landing map.

And like I said to Ran on this other thread, we finaly managed to implant javascript codes to make hideable spoilers sections. Exemple on Asha Greyjoy article ; click on "show" in the ADWD section to make the text appear. Really easy to make in fact when javascript is in.

I Hope AWOIAF's growing up well too ^^ we're on the right way !

Cheers

Edited by Evrach

• 3 weeks later...

Question: is AWoIaF going to be covering the merchandising spin offs, the board games, the computer game etc? I've had requests to cover them on the GoT Wiki, but I want to keep that as TV-centric as possible. WoIaF seems a better fit for everything that spins off the books themselves (whilst a TV-spin-off computer game could be covered on the TV wiki as well, for example).

To some degree it depends on what people are interested in doing. I'm trying (though am a bit behind) in covering that as part of All Sorts of Weird Stuff anyways, but if anyone else would like to add that sort of material (or anything else related to ASoIaF) to the wiki, it'd be cool.

• 1 month later...