The Brandon Sanderson Thread

BuckShotBill

It could just as easily be claimed average, too: it's flawed, certainly, but it's at least inventive and engaging. It's agreed by both of us that it isn't [i]that[/i] bad, or even bad at all. Or are you saying Elantris was so utterly contemptible that it'd dissuade you from reading the author's work for another score of years?

Perhaps you were jaded by the fact that a) you expected it to live up its acclaim (which most things often don't) and b) you expected something better at the outset of your return to fantasy, but neither of these changes the fact that Elantris isn't at all bad. It's not perfection or brilliance, but it's serviceable and enjoyable. And it certainly isn't bad enough to ostracize yourself from Sanderson at any chance you get.

And to add to what Shryke said, Elantris was his sixth book. Mistborn was his fourteenth. So yes, it's highly likely that he's improved from "mediocre" to at least readable over the course of eight more books.

[quote name='Asjegar' post='1744935' date='Apr 4 2009, 17.21']Or are you saying Elantris was so utterly contemptible that it'd dissuade you from reading the author's work for another score of years?[/quote]

This, although I'd say "uninteresting" rather than "contemptible." The guy wrote a book and got it published; that is not an achievement to be deemed "contemptible," whatever I think of the quality of the work. I didn't think it was engaging in the slightest, although I'll give you "inventive" for the story's premise.

I don't really want to get into gratuitous trashing, so I'll just say that for me it was a slog of a read, ranging from risible to bland and never becoming even moderately enjoyable. I really didn't like it. The only reason I might call it "average" is because "average" is, sad to say, a pretty low bar to clear, and definitely not worth my time or money.

The Mistborn books might well be better, but I sincerely don't think they're going to be so much better that they'll overcome the bad taste Elantris left in my mouth.

But opinions vary and I have no reason to wish Sanderson ill. I'm just not going to be reading more of his stuff.

[quote name='LianeM' post='1744961' date='Apr 4 2009, 16.54']But opinions vary and I have no reason to wish Sanderson ill. I'm just not going to be reading more of his stuff.[/quote]
There is always the time-honoured approach of very carefully (so as not to damage the book) reading the first chapter in the bookstore to find out if it's worth buying. Or the library, but the popular stuff goes on hold for months. :/

Apologies. From what I read, "contemptible" seemed the most fitting word to summarize your insinuations.

Anyways, the inventiveness is the primary signification of interest. (Or at least, a passing interest that will hold at least until Sanderson's premises are set) I'll admit that it can be laughable, just as Raoden's character can often be boring and overly benign, but I never said Elantris is without flaws. What I do stand by is that it can be enjoyable and engaging.

It's engaging in the introduction of its premises, it's interesting in the perpetuation of its lore (e.g. the machinations and depth of the city's secrets, the scope and origin of its magic, etc.) If you're willing to claim these things as inventive, then I have no idea how you can then turn and call the book uninteresting. Or bland, really.

Questionable prose? Definitely. Over-reliance on exposition? Perhaps. Bland? That's a stretch.

For those willing to step into the [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=9646&st=20&start=20"]Way Back Machine[/url] to 2006, you could see a conversation that Sanderson and I had about [i]Elantris[/i] that may prove to be of interest to some here.

Hm.

I don't really think his often pedestrian prose was the sole reason the emotional impact his characters was diminished, (Hrathen, especially, was just as deep and understandable even despite the prose ) nor do I think that it wasn't apt enough to describe, say, the lost glory of Elantris. (Which I think he did rather well, all things considered) The problem, partially, is that his writing was inconsistent.

It's a bit unfair to expect Bakker-level prose from Sanderson, and while his prose was admittingly just "there", (as you noted) he still succeeded in illustrating the inventiveness of his ideas and the plight of some of his characters. That and I don't find that the prose sapped life out of his characters. In fact, I'd venture to say that his characterization was [i]also[/i] inconsistent. His characters had varying levels of depth: from being superfluous to being tragically multi-layered.

In short: I don't really find that the prose was the only pertinent factor in your qualms simply because there were other edges in Sanderson's writing that seeped with a lack of expertise. There were issues with the content itself, just as there were in the way the content was relayed to the reader. Thus, it wasn't just his prose, but his characterization as a whole.

I'd boil it down to this:

Elatris is ok. I woudln't argue with anyone who thought it was crap. I, personally, won't ever reread the book, which from me is saying alot.

Mistborn, on the other hand, is quite enjoyable, despite a few flaws (mostly in the romantic relationship department). I wouldn't put it on the level of GRRM or Bakker, but it's still an enjoyable read. I'd say you should at least give it a shot, see if it grabs you. It's worth forgetting Elantris exists to give it a try.

If nothing else, Kelsier is a very interesting character imo. I quite enjoyed him.

I have a very soft spot for [i]Elantris[/i], since it was really one of the first few fantasy books I read, apart from the obvious: LOTR, HP, and uh, ASOIAF. I was thirteen, and remember being really blown away by the ending: I had a very solid, somewhat black-and-white view of Hrathen, and did not really expect what he did.

[i]Mistborn[/i] I am slow getting into, but perhaps because Kelsier rather annoys me. Allomancy is wicked cool though.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1745378' date='Apr 5 2009, 12.15']Mistborn, on the other hand, is quite enjoyable, despite a few flaws (mostly in the romantic relationship department). I wouldn't put it on the level of GRRM or Bakker, but it's still an enjoyable read. I'd say you should at least give it a shot, see if it grabs you. It's worth forgetting Elantris exists to give it a try.

If nothing else, Kelsier is a very interesting character imo. I quite enjoyed him.[/quote]

I quite enjoyed reading the first two Mistborn books. I haven't read Hero of Ages yet but I'll get to that soon enough. Were the books without flaws? Of course not, but they were fun to read and interesting, the plot had enough twists and turns to keep me hooked and the magic system was very original for a change. I thought they were quite well written and that made me feel better about him writing Memory of Light.

[quote name='Joanna Nox' post='1746026' date='Apr 5 2009, 16.28'][i]Mistborn[/i] I am slow getting into, but perhaps because Kelsier rather annoys me. Allomancy is wicked cool though.[/quote]
:lol: I had a hard time getting into Mistborn, for the same reason. I know this is lame, but there's a scene early in the book that drove me crazy (this is in no way a spoiler): the crew is plotting their big escapade, and Kelsier writes everything down on a blackboard. I just couldn't get past how unbelievably unrealistic that was and flashed back to an episode of The Wire where Stringer yells, "You don't take notes documenting on a criminal conspiracy!!"

Sanderson's PG-ness ultimately didn't bother me. It's interesting, though. There's no sex or swearing, but there's pretty gory violence. Reminded me of the South Park movie and the idea that graphic violence is ok as long as there are no naughty words.

I enjoyed the first two Mistborn, and I'll read the third. The whole PG thing did get a bit irritating at times, but as other pointed out, the violence can be fairly brutal. I also like that there's a dose of cynicism to it;

SPOILER: Hero of the Ages

That everything isn't roses and sunshine after the Lord Ruler is gone. I felt like it did a good job of showing the often gruesome aftermath of a revolution.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1746298' date='Apr 5 2009, 23.47']:lol: I had a hard time getting into Mistborn, for the same reason. I know this is lame, but there's a scene early in the book that drove me crazy (this is in no way a spoiler): the crew is plotting their big escapade, and Kelsier writes everything down on a blackboard. I just couldn't get past how unbelievably unrealistic that was and flashed back to an episode of The Wire where Stringer yells, "You don't take notes documenting on a criminal conspiracy!!"

Sanderson's PG-ness ultimately didn't bother me. It's interesting, though. There's no sex or swearing, but there's pretty gory violence. Reminded me of the South Park movie and the idea that graphic violence is ok as long as there are no naughty words.[/quote]

See, me, personally? I'd use a blackboard to explain my insane criminal conspiracy. It's a great teaching tool goddammit!!!!

• 2 months later...

New Brandon Sanderson deal with Tor worth $2.5 million.

:stunned: Woah.

The new deal is for the first four books of his planned ten-volume Way of Kings series. It's a 'significant six-figure sum' for each book, followed by bonuses (I'm guessing for hitting deadlines: Sanderson's plate is very full at the moment).

Very impressive.

well, I'm not sure anyone other than Sanderson knows what he was making, but before AMOL, Sanderson did still have a day job. It's only recent that writing has been his full-time job.

well, I'm not sure anyone other than Sanderson knows what he was making, but before AMOL, Sanderson did still have a day job. It's only recent that writing has been his full-time job.

Sanderson has been pretty much writing full time since 2005:

http://scififanletter.blogspot.com/2009/06...-interview.html

]I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have a day job. I quit that the day I got my first advance check. (Which wasn't that much--but I was a single guy living in a friend's basement at the time, so it was enough.) Through the next few years, I picked up the occasional teaching job at the university to help pay the bills. (A class here and there.) I really consider myself going 'full time' in 2005, the year Elantris was released.

• 2 weeks later...
For those willing to step into the Way Back Machine to 2006, you could see a conversation that Sanderson and I had about Elantris that may prove to be of interest to some here.
the link does not compute:
Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

Reading that would make you want to get to writing. :lol:

I read his Elantris book last summer and didn't think it was that great. Pretty boring, in fact. Still not sure about him writing the WoT final books, but that's done with by now...I've gotten over it...

Archived