LepreCon 36. May 14-16, 2010. Phoenix Mesa Marriott, Mesa, AZ

It would appear that my dreams of one day going to a Con are set to one day come true. I just found out about a Con held in Mesa, AZ. It's scheduled for May of 2010 and has listed GRRM as a confirmed Guest of Honor. Since I have never been to a Con, I have a lot of questions about what to expect. I also have never even heard of LeperCon before.

Does anyone know about it?

Has anyone been to a LepreCon before?

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Is anyone already planning to attend?

EDIT: 01/09/2010

I am reviving this thread because the BWB SW is attempting to arrange a meet and greet with GRRM when he is in town. We are looking for others who may be willing to make the trek to join us (and looking for ideas). Thank you.

It would appear that my dreams of one day going to a Con are set to one day come true. I just found out about a Con held in Mesa, AZ. It's scheduled for May of 2010 and has listed GRRM as a confirmed Guest of Honor. Since I have never been to a Con, I have a lot of questions about what to expect. I also have never even heard of LeperCon before.

Does anyone know about it?

Has anyone been to a LeperCon before?

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Is anyone already planning to attend?

I think it's a con where people repel backwards.

No, seriously, I have no idea what it is (horror-themed maybe?), but if GRRM is going that alone makes it supercool. Wish I could join you, GRRM, and all the "lepers." Or maybe it's leprechaun-themed. "LeperCon" = Leprechaun?

Or maybe it's leprechaun-themed. "LeperCon" = Leprechaun?

Possibly. There is a pot of gold on the webpage.

And it is spelled LepreCon. :)

Also, Charles Vess is the artist guest of honor next May. Additonal awesomeness.

don't expect much. little local Arizona cons are not the same as World Con or Comic con. Best you can hope for is to hang with me and a couple of my geek-friends. The BWB writ large will most likely not be there. (It is over a year away however, so who can tell?)

Charles Vess is pretty cool though, I'd like to have him sign my edition of Stardust.

• 2 weeks later...
Dude, LepreCon, seriously!?

Is this where we fans of the mighty Leprechaun horror-movie series can congregate and bask in the glory of Leprechaun in Space!?

:cheers:

They made a Leprechaun in space???

I'm not sure exactly what it is, or what it's all about... but I'm eagerly planning to attend.

• 2 months later...

Well, now that Worldcon is over I thought I would give this one a bump since GRRM is the guest of honor (I suggest that the oringal post be edited to include that in the subject line).

I'm only 2.5 hours away, so it's as close to a local con as I get. I know that Ztemhead is regular attendee of this con, but I've never been myself. Anyone else thinking about coming? I imagine I'll make the drive down for the chance to meet GRRM in person and hang out a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

to me this looks like a good choice to have at least a small to medium BwB gathering next year. we wouldn't necessarily have to even try to compete with the NC con next year just shoot for west coast BwBers. it's actually pretty cheap only $30 membership if you buy before the end of Sept and especially if aDwD comes out excitement should be high . . . plus i've always wanted to visit the Phoenix area . . .

• 4 months later...

The BWB Southwest would like to organize a meet and greet with George while he's in town. I don't have the con schedule of events yet so I don't know if he has any free time. After I get a good estimation of the number of people I"m going to e-mail George asking if he'd like to meet his Arizona fans.

The BWB Southwest would like to organize a meet and greet with George while he's in town. I don't have the con schedule of events yet so I don't know if he has any free time. After I get a good estimation of the number of people I"m going to e-mail George asking if he'd like to meet his Arizona fans.

I know that Parris is on here from time to time, perhaps a PM from one of the higher up types (mods)on this here board might yield the answer to at least one question; "Will his scheduling allow him any time for a meet and greet?"

Reviving this thread due to the news that GRRM will be there. The BWB Southwest is mobilizing for a rapid response.

Is anyone outside of Arizona also planning to attend?

i would really love to come out, May looks pretty busy for me unfortunately :( but as soon as i get all the dates sorted out i will let you know if it looks feasible :D

I can say for fairly certain I'll be bringing at least four. (or they'll be bringing me)

People that get into your cab thinking that you are taking them somewhere else entirely do not count... at least, I don't think they do... Do they?

I wrote George informing him that we are working on a meet up at Leprecon. He replied that he is interested but won't confirm until the Con is much closer.

Good news. Keep us posted.

I'll try to keep my best friend as far away as possible. He's been going on for years about how much he wants to ask George why he keeps doing other projects (wasting time) when aSoIaF is not yet finished.

Archived