An official PC & next-gen game for ASOIAF

Evrach

When Relic - one of the leading PC development stuidos - expressed an interest in making an ASoIaF computer game last year, I was cheered as it indicated that when the official game was made, it could be made by one of the big studios with the budget to give the project the time and scope it needed.

Cyanide are a small company whose games to date have been utterly mediocre. I am actually surprised that GRRM would have gone with such an operation after Relic hinted they might have been interested. It'd be like accepting an offer from a small, local Czech TV company to make a TV series after HBO had shown some interest.

Cyanide could turn out an absolutely stellar, awesome game of course but I must admit it does not look hopeful.

Presumably Relic did not actually bother to approach GRRM's agents, or their offer wasn't acceptable in some fashion. It's assuming a lot to suppose they actually made any serious offer based on some random developer there saying in a random interview that it'd be cool to do an ASoIaF game (or whatever it was that was said by whoever).

What games has Cyanide worked on? The only game I know about is that Blood Bowl game that is in beta right now. And everything I have heard and read about it was positive.

The only notable one they've worked on was Chaos League, basically a game about orcs and fantasy creatures playing football. It was funny and playable for a couple of hours and then got a bit repetitive.

I don't see anything in that game that suggests they could go off and make an amazing strategy or role-playing game.

However, this is precedented. When the first previews of Shogun: Total War came out, there were mutterings that the Creative Assembly hadn't worked on anything other than ports of middle-of-the-road sports games for EA before. And Shogun turned out to be genre-redefiningly amazing. Maybe the same thing will happen here.

Presumably Relic did not actually bother to approach GRRM's agents, or their offer wasn't acceptable in some fashion. It's assuming a lot to suppose they actually made any serious offer based on some random developer there saying in a random interview that it'd be cool to do an ASoIaF game (or whatever it was that was said by whoever).

I meant that if a major strategy game company (and in the genre Relic are right at the top, with only Blizzard and the EA C&C studio really providing competition) expresses an interest in your product, even if it is purely unofficial, it is a good sign that they or a competitor might approach you for a deal in one form or another. To then turn around and go with a much smaller company seems counter-intuitive.

Like I said, this could be Cyanide's Shogun moment in which they step up to the plate and deliver something amazing, but I think fans were generally expecting the game rights to be snapped up by a company they'd at least heard of before.

Well, one should bear in mind that it's almost a year and a half ago that the Relic developer made that remark. How much longer are they supposed to have waited for a large studio to come around with the right deal? The way you've put it makes it sound like the Relic guy made his remarks very recently, and in that case, sure, you'd have a point. But 15 months or so is a pretty long while, it seems to me.

But 15 months or so is a pretty long while, it seems to me.

In games development? Barely enough time to clear your throat, these days.

Unless you're Blizzard or Valve, in which case it counts as a lunch break :)

That's one thing in these guy's favour, that a smaller developer can certainly move on a project faster and with more freedom than a multi-tens-of-millons-of-dollars project. If Relic had gone for this it would have been a 3-4-year project, whilst Cyanide may be able to turn something around faster.

Unless it's an MMORPG :stunned: In which case this could be a long haul indeed.

I have to agree with Wert regarding Cyanide. I would have preferred a more critically-acclaimed developer had acquired the rights. My expectations are low, but I will be very happy to be proven wrong, and I hope the game turns out great.

Wert,

In games development? Barely enough time to clear your throat, these days.

We're not talking about game development, though. Just rights acquisitions. And beyond the fact that this random fellow spoke up a year and a half ago, we've had a year knowing it was optioned by HBO, and it's been a number of years since it was NYT #1 bestseller and TIME called him "America's Tolkien". Seems to me that if one of the big boys were serious about acquiring the rights, they would have done so by now.

So, either they have approached and what they offered was not up to snuff, or they never really have and Cyanide was the first to offer a workable deal to GRRM.

I can understand the idea that maybe GRRM should never license a game if a big game studio isn't behind it, but I still question the slant that suggests he's actively rejected them when we don't really know this is this case ("To then turn around..." certainly reads this way). That's my main point, here. Maybe big game publishers have hammered at his door, but they've all offered deals that don't make sense to him. Maybe his agents have been in contact with these publishers, and they haven't been keen despite the fannishness of some of their designers. We don't know, in the end, so I think it's important to not suggest that GRRM has done anything in regards to large publishers. All we know for sure is that Cyanide is the publisher that closed the deal.

Maybe there'll be more news in the next few days.

I hope its an adventure game with rpg elements. In fact a point and click based advaneture game would work great for ASOIAF right now, with different playable characters (say you could play as a knight of the kingsguard, a brother of the nights watch, a hedge knight and a maester. Gameplay will be different with eah and each will have different branches of the storyline to take)

Awful, awful news. Cyanide are a b-list developer in every way. PCM is buggy and extremely poorly optimised, and Chaos league was mediocre, as Werthead said.

Relic, Creative Assembly, or even Taleworlds (of Mount and Blade fame) would do a better job.

Relic, Creative Assembly, or even Taleworlds (of Mount and Blade fame) would do a better job.
To hell with RTS, this is the way a ASOIAF video game should be. First person slasher with trace RPG elements to determine player stats.

Archived