Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger?

Ser Roland Royce

Did some searching, didn't find him suggested anywhere... but how about Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger? He played a fairly slimy politician in HBO's The Wire and did what I thought was a great job, and portrayed Carcetti in a lot of the ways I've always seen Littlefinger.

Did some searching, didn't find him suggested anywhere... but how about Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger? He played a fairly slimy politician in HBO's The Wire and did what I thought was a great job, and portrayed Carcetti in a lot of the ways I've always seen Littlefinger.

Oh, he's a great choice actually. IMDb says he's 5'10" but I could have sworn he was kind of on the short side. A lot of times those things are put out by publicists and they list them as taller than they are. Also, he's a Brit.

Oh, he'd be fantastic as Littlefinger. I recall him from Queer as Folk. He is on the tall side for the character, but .... eh, forget it. They can come up with some other justification for the Littlefinger name (just basing it off the tiny seat of his family, say). It's not integral to the plot.

Oh, he'd be fantastic as Littlefinger. I recall him from Queer as Folk. He is on the tall side for the character, but .... eh, forget it. They can come up with some other justification for the Littlefinger name (just basing it off the tiny seat of his family, say). It's not integral to the plot.

I always thought it was a combination of his size, the fact that his family seat is one of The Fingers and also figured it was an offhanded swipe at the size of his manhood.

I always thought it was a combination of his size, the fact that his family seat is one of The Fingers and also figured it was an offhanded swipe at the size of his manhood.

lol How would the Court know about the size of his manhood? Oh... wait forgot about bloody Varys and his "birds".

lol How would the Court know about the size of his manhood? Oh... wait forgot about bloody Varys and his "birds".

Yeah, and I'm sure he's managed to get a fair number of Court ladies into the sack - he's that type of scoundrel. Word of that sort of thing would get around.

Yeah, and I'm sure he's managed to get a fair number of Court ladies into the sack - he's that type of scoundrel. Word of that sort of thing would get around.

That's funny because I thought that he'd always been secretly pining for Catelyn. And that whole macho routine (jackass attitude, outfits, owning half the brothels in city) was just a mask he put on so that courtiers wouldn't think he was gay or something. While at the same time he was probably secretly building a shrine to her, complete with locks of hair. Sure he had sex with Lisa on at least two occasions but we all know that she was just a sex-surrogate for Cat. Littlefinger had always struck me as that sorta creepy :)

Edmure named him Littlefinger when they were kids, based on his small size and his coming from the Fingers. Possibly it was also a boy's joke about size of one's equipment (but they were both pre-pubescent, so...), but mostly it was the first two things. I'm just saying that they don't need the size thing. Or they can just say that he was particularly small as a boy and the name stuck. :)

It's just that the name is so Shakespearean (but not exactly Dickensian) in terms of being a sexual double entendre, it's hard to avoid suspecting that alternate meaning - much like the name Fallstaff, which is most definitely a sexual double entendre. Fallstaff was old and such a booze-hound that it's likely he seldom if ever to could get it up anymore (that's the implication of the name, anyway). In Moby Dick Melville makes a lot of Ahab having been "dismasted," the most obvious meaning being that the whale bit off his leg, but there is more than just a hint that it wasn't just his leg that got bitten off with that term, as well. It just has always seemed that kind of a thing to me and it makes even more sense with Edmure giving him that name (I'd forgotten that), as that's just the kind of thing kids would make fun of. Edmure was bigger, stronger and I think a bit older too - I just remember at that age either being made fun of as a little kid or making fun of the littler kids a couple years later for just that sort of thing.

Well, in any case, we're told that it was because he was a small boy and he came from the smallest of the Fingers. ;)

Note that Lysa definitely had NO complaints concerning Littlefinger's ... finger.

Oh, he's a great choice actually. IMDb says he's 5'10" but I could have sworn he was kind of on the short side. A lot of times those things are put out by publicists and they list them as taller than they are. Also, he's a Brit.

He's Irish.

He would be amazing as littlefinger. Only problem is, his english accent is HORRIBLE. So he'd have to talk normally as far as i'm concerned.

Well he is from Ireland so I guess he speaks with an Irish accent. I don't think that all the characters need to speak with perfect English accents. Considering how large Seven Kingdoms are it would make sense that many different dialects/accents existed just as in the former British Empire or Commonwealth countries today. It would add another level of realism to the series if they used actors speaking in different accents (intentionally or not).

I coulda' sworn he was from England, but no he's Irish. Whatever. No reason he can't have an Irish accent. Who knows how they speak way up in The Fingers? I imagine it being like some of those remote, godforsaken and freezing backwaters like you find at or off the coast of the most northerly parts of Ireland or Scotland. Might even be an appropriate accent in that case. The description of the land always sort of reminded me of The Secret of Roan Inish.

For me, I just like him because he's sort of likeable while also being totally repellant. I'm surprised if he's actually tall... On the show he always seems so small-- compared to the ladies even. He's also got that arrogance of a guy who feels outside the more violent promises of society which I always got from Littlefinger also. Glad to see others think he'd be alright :) Hopefully he's on the radar for something.

I'm partial to Ioan Gruffudd for Littlefinger... frankly he's far too pretty, but I think he'd fare well as everyones favorite charming and perfectly harmless master of coin. Here's a pic of him putting on his "oh, you must be Catelyn's daughter" face. He's tall like Gillen, but slight of build... clearly not a guy who spends his days in plate mail bludgening his foes. And it would be amusing to see him opposite Lord Stark if Ned is played by Sean Bean (you'd have Hornblower vs Sharpe onscreen).

Not that Gillen would be a bad choice... he was outstanding in The Wire.

• 1 year later...

Archived