126 replies to this topic

#1 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

We'd like to invite anyone who isn't a current player but who has been curious about Blood of Dragons MUSH to ask whatever questions they might have about the game in this thread.

Additionally, if you have considered joining the game, but had some issues with something, feel free to bring those up here too. We can't guarantee any changes -- some things are the way they are by design -- but we're always working to improve things as much as we can.

Edited by Linda, 21 May 2009 - 12:55 PM.

#2 DarkCrawler

DarkCrawler

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

We'd like to invite anyone who isn't a current player but who has been curious about Blood of Dragons MUSH to ask whatever questions they might have about the game in this thread.

Additionally, if you have considered joining the game, but had some issues with something, feel free to bring those up here too. We can't guarantee any changes -- some things are the way they are by design -- but we're always working to improve things as much as we can.

Is this RPG still active? I might apply since my life is kind of slow for a straight month or so and I started re-reading the books again and I'm really burning for an RPG right now. The last log on the site is from March, but I'm not so sure how well of a measure it is for activity.

So yeah, that's what I am asking. :)

#3 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:53 AM

Yes, its active. :)

The logs aren't a good measure of activity, unfortunately. They depend on player submissions, and those can be very sporadic.

#4 Ran

Ran

King o' the Board

• Administrators
  • 31,343 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

Player submission and also the admin finding time to clean up the few dozens logs they've taken from events... heh. ;) We've got so many other things to juggle that logs falls by the wayside, but we're definitely active as a look at the roleplay forum on the game will show. :)

#5 Masked Jackal

Masked Jackal

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

Edit: Delete this

Edited by Masked Jackal, 23 July 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#6 Fireball07

Fireball07

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

I have made an account there before but I think it would be hard to get into, hard to understand all the characters and everything that's happened.

#7 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

We'd certainly be happy to help out with any questions. :) You don't have to read all the posts about what's happened, there are some summaries of the most important events.

#8 Westerling

Westerling

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

What exactly do you need to get involved? How does one get started and how does character creation work?

All my PnP RPG groups are on break and I find myself with an sudden abundance of time. This is something I'd be very interested in getting involved with.

#9 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:52 AM

To play a MUSH, you need a client that connects to the game server. I suggest MUSHclient if you are on Windows: www.mushclient.com

You get that installed, and the address you need is bod.westeros.org, with port 3000.

Then you log onto the game, and you pick out a character from our very large list of characters. We generally suggest a Cameo (time-limited test character) or a character that someone has played before and done the character creation for when you are new to MUSHing. But if you prefer, you can also pick a character that hasn't been played yet and do the character creation yourself.

The character creation is all on the game, and you go through a series of rooms to setup assets & flaws, stats and skills, and then you write a background, a justify for your choices, and a few other things.

#10 Westerling

Westerling

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:24 AM

Seems easy enough so far. Is there a command list somewhere? Also how does roleplay work?

#11 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:35 AM

HELP lists built-in server commands, +help those we have added on. +help +newbie has some basic ones collected.

Roleplay is sort of ... co-operative story telling. People gather in a room on the game, and take turns writing poses describing what the characters say or do.

You can see logs of roleplay here: www.westeros.org/BoD/Logs

#12 Westerling

Westerling

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:39 AM

Looks like good fun. Thanks for the list help!

#13 King Hodor

King Hodor

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:33 AM

I actually just joined the MUSH this evening. It was actually my first time even using a MUSH client, or even hearing about one, but I got loads of help from the staff. It took me a good few hours to look through the already-made available characters to find someone I liked... and then once I found one character, I quickly after found someone I liked better.

So, I'm not a member of the MUSH, playing Ser Yuric Staedmon, Heir to Broad Arch in the Stormlands, and a veteran of the Young Dragon's war. I've got to say, I am very stoked about getting started, and I urge everyone who might be even remotely interested to check it out and see what you think. Feel free to PM me if you want any more answers or help from the perspective a new member, too.

#14 Dondarrion

Dondarrion

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

I followed BoD's progress for two years before it opened, wrote and got approved a character to play on day one (Brad Hightower), but got swamped with RL work and committed to help build/run another MUSH (that became one of the biggest there now is, to my surprise) before I learned of BoD's opening date. The result? I never got to play more than a few scenes before voluntarily cashing in my chips so I wouldn't take a valuable spot in the Alpha opening when I didn't have time to play the PC much.

Naturally, with the TV show launching and the next book finally coming out, I'm thinking about trying BoD again. I've done some skimming and reading here and there, but I'm not sure I have a good grasp on where the game is right now.

I could really use a simple resource giving me a sense of what the game is like now. Sort of a snapshot, if you will, of Blood of Dragons. Numbers on the average player base, how far beyond Kings Landing the game has progressed (in terms of building, plots, etc.), where in the life of the MUSH things are, maybe a bit of summary on the overarching plot(s) of the chronicle. I suspect this might be attractive to other prospective players too and might help you draw them.

Is there such a resource?
If so, can you point me to it?
If not, could you provide one by simply covering those points?
Thanks so much.

Edited by Dondarrion, 18 April 2011 - 10:14 PM.

#15 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:41 AM

We have a couple of resources intended to cover the "state of the world" in terms of IC events, but because of the TV show we haven't had time to update them for a fair while, I am afraid.

However, the Recent History gets fairly close to present: http://www.westeros....les/Entry/3131/

We have not changed the King's Landing grid any, but Sunspear is open as an area.

#16 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

Given all the new visitors to the forum lately, we wanted to once again invite people who are interested in roleplaying in Westeros to ask questions here or to log onto the MUSH to have a chat with us. :)

The address for the MUSH is bod.westeros.org, port 3300 and you need a telnet-capable client. Alternatively, you use this web-based connection method: http://mudgamers.com...ood-of-dragons/

#17 Ser Bryon

Ser Bryon

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hey Linda (et al.) /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

With the show recently released and the new book coming out, I've caught the bug again and I am interested in joining the MUSH once more. Some of you might remember Ser Bryon Waynwood, a young knight from The Vale that was around back in 2008 or 2009. Needless to say, it has been a LONG time since I have played on BoD or been around much on the forums.

So I was wondering, what would be the best way to get back into the game? Would it be a good idea to try to pick up Ser Bryon and come up with a story for the time he has "been away"? Or would it perhaps be better to play a new character? Or are there perhaps some other options?

#18 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hey :)

We've had former players do it both ways, either picking up their old characters or starting anew. In regards to Bryon, he's showing as having been in play from Jun 22 to August 19 2010.... hrm, I am not sure if perhaps he was reset and then someone else CGed him anew. You could take a look at him on the game and see if it looks like your setup or not.

Either way, we don't have a preference for how players approach it, going back to a past character or starting with a fresh one is fine by us. :)

#19 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

If in fact the setup is your setup of Bryon, then it just looks like something went wrong with recording when he was in play. It does mean, however, that he couldn't be played as having been away from court for several years since he was around when the other player had him.

#20 Dalan

Dalan

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

Used to do MUDs way back in the day, I was curious if anyone knows of any clients that would work from an iPhone?