fantasy books with adult main characters

Gigei

ONYX COURT novels by Marie Brennan, combination of fantasy and historical fiction. She has two novels: MIDNIGHT NEVER COMES (2008) and IN ASHES LIE (2009). No children. Takes place in London. Very good books.

C. S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy. One of the main protagonists kills his children at the start of the book. Also, her new trilogy (only 2 books out so far) starting with Feast of Souls.

Her new trilogy definately has a young character and coming of age story, so doesn't fit.

I'll throw out some other recs that I haven't seen yet:

Elizabeth Bear - New Amsterdam

Tobias Buckell - Crystall Rain and Ragamuffin

most things by Jonathan Carroll

Mark Chadbourn - World's End (Age of Misrule Trilogy)

Several of Charles de Lint's books

Daryl Gregory - Pandemonium

Kate Griffin - A Madness of Angels

Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood

Charlie Huston - Already Dead

Jasper Kent - Twelve

John Meaney - Bone Song

Michael Moorcock - The Metatemporal Detective

Tim Powers - Anubis Gates

Andrzej Sapkowski - Last Wish

Jeff VanderMeer - City of Saints and Madmen

Edit: and what I'm reading now: The Affinity Bridge by George Mann

And if you want a brilliant satire of what you seem to be struggling with

The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick

Thanks for all the recs.

Bakker - hmm maybe, tried reading it but gave up after 3 chapters, doesn't he start off as a young child anyway?

Trial of Flowers by Jay Lake & Shriek: An Afterword by Jeff VanderMeer - I shall look into it

Hambly - yes I already mentioned her in my original post

China Miéville - been meaning to try it

Joe Abercrombie - I will try it

Tim Powers - I am not sure but I think I read it already

Angela Carter - never heard/seen this!

Elizabeth Bear's "Promethean Age" series - lovely title I will have to look into that and the other recs

Raymond E. Feist - kids

Lois McMaster Bujold, Guy Gavriel Kay, Kage Baker, Steven Brust, Donaldson, Erikson, Kim Harrison, Le Guin, Zelazny, Robin Hobb,Book of the New Sun, The Black Company, David Gemmell, C. S. Friedman, Mythago Wood, Stover's Caine - read it all!

Mercy Thompson - nope, low quality and rape with "therapy sex" right afterwards? No.

Sarah Monette - lmao. No, just no. I already read A Companion to Wolves and I am scarred forever by the "butthurt" scene. No thanks, never ever going to read anything by her. Sorry.

The Rai-Kairah trilogy by Carol Berg - I'll see if I can get a sample

Mark Chadbourn - on my list of to read books

Michael Swanwick - I love his work

Thanks for all the recs.

(snip)

Elizabeth Bear's "Promethean Age" series - lovely title I will have to look into that and the other recs

(snip)

Sarah Monette - lmao. No, just no. I already read A Companion to Wolves and I am scarred forever by the "butthurt" scene. No thanks, never ever going to read anything by her. Sorry.

(snip)

This puzzles me. Elizabeth Bear cowrote A Companion to Wolves with Sarah Monette. However, Bear's Promethiean Age Novels are nothing like Monette's Melusine series.

Thanks for all the recs.

Bakker - hmm maybe, tried reading it but gave up after 3 chapters, doesn't he start off as a young child anyway?

No. I believe the only time kids show up is in the occasional small flashback and one single chapter, at which point 1 of the 2 children is sold into slavery/pimped out.

It's one of the least "kid growing up and learning lessons" fantasies around.

Do I want to know?

Probably yes. :D

Do I want to know?

Animal companions. When their bonded wolves go into heat, the big strapping men can't help but have themselves an orgy. No women necessary.

This puzzles me. Elizabeth Bear cowrote A Companion to Wolves with Sarah Monette. However, Bear's Promethiean Age Novels are nothing like Monette's Melusine series.

And neither of them are much like ACtW, IMO. Their individual efforts are much stronger than that collaboration. Hell, their Shadow Unit 'episodes' are better than that.

Animal companions. When their bonded wolves go into heat, the big strapping men can't help but have themselves an orgy. No women necessary.

And neither of them are much like ACtW, IMO. Their individual efforts are much stronger than that collaboration. Hell, their Shadow Unit 'episodes' are better than that.

And both the Melusine books and Promethean books deal with homosexuality.

Oh? I forgot about Bear. Scratch that, too.

Do I want to know?

Ow! My butt hurts soo bad! <--- lame gay gangbang scene

Yeck.

Thanks for all the recs.

Trial of Flowers by Jay Lake & Shriek: An Afterword by Jeff VanderMeer - I shall look into it

Hambly - yes I already mentioned her in my original post

China Miéville - been meaning to try it

Joe Abercrombie - I will try it

Tim Powers - I am not sure but I think I read it already

Angela Carter - never heard/seen this!

Raymond E. Feist - kids

Lois McMaster Bujold, Guy Gavriel Kay, Kage Baker, Steven Brust, Donaldson, Erikson, Kim Harrison, Le Guin, Zelazny, Robin Hobb,Book of the New Sun, The Black Company, David Gemmell, C. S. Friedman, Mythago Wood, Stover's Caine - read it all!

Mercy Thompson - nope, low quality and rape with "therapy sex" right afterwards? No.

The Rai-Kairah trilogy by Carol Berg - I'll see if I can get a sample

Mark Chadbourn - on my list of to read books

Michael Swanwick - I love his work

You obviously haven't read the next book. The ending of the rape one implies things which turn out to be quite wrong (the sex, how well she's handling it all).

China Mieville - been meaning to try it

Get on it. I don't think you can go too wrong with Perdido Street Station and Iron Council. There's a real rawness to those books - unresolved moral dilemmas, unusual characters, a dose of political/economic theory and a masterful use of language. Iron Council is almost poetry, and I do not use that word lightly. The Scar's still a cracking read, but plays up the whole 'OMG he's such a badass' teenage angle a wee bit. And even though it's set in the same world as PSS and IC it goes off on a bit of a tangent so can be picked up after reading both.

You obviously haven't read the next book. The ending of the rape one implies things which turn out to be quite wrong (the sex, how well she's handling it all).

Why would I read the next book when the last one sucked? No, thanks. :thumbsdown: Her bf is a big asshole, too to expect her to sex him up immediately after the rape. I hope he dies.

'That sounds like something that would have made me laugh when reading it. :)

Nah, the whole book was really bad.

Get on it. I don't think you can go too wrong with Perdido Street Station and Iron Council. There's a real rawness to those books - unresolved moral dilemmas, unusual characters, a dose of political/economic theory and a masterful use of language. Iron Council is almost poetry, and I do not use that word lightly. The Scar's still a cracking read, but plays up the whole 'OMG he's such a badass' teenage angle a wee bit. And even though it's set in the same world as PSS and IC it goes off on a bit of a tangent so can be picked up after reading both.

Sounds good. :D

You might try Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. Fellow enthusiast BookWyrm is the only one to mentioned The Hobbit so far. They're pretty good. The only 'kid' is Pippin. Hooray for the chubby, respectable, middle-aged hero!

In fact, it's odd that so many people supposed to be copying Tolkien went the farm boy route instead of for the comfortably fat middle aged type. Older folks have the best love stories and make for better dialogue and first person insight.

Archived