When can we expect another casting announcement?

daimonion

Is Martin not allowed to break news early? Why won't he just divulge the information if the actor is cast and signed?

You'd think that after making us wait so freaking long for the next book that he'd be willing to throw whatever bones he can get. If he's not allowed to, that's one thing. If he's not just because he wants to play the "I know a secret neener neener neeeener" game, then that's quite douchebaggish of him.

Is Martin not allowed to break news early? Why won't he just divulge the information if the actor is cast and signed?

Basically no, it's not up to him when this info gets revealed, it's HBO's call since they now own the project (yes, they bought it). Also, GRRM likely doesn't know the precise contract status for the various players, so he can't and shouldn't say a deal is done with an actor until it's been made public by HBO.

Yeah, I think that was my bad. I mentioned on LJ the Twitter posts from an actress who'd been turned down for Dany becaues the role had already been cast, and someone at Worldcon said that, "According to George, Jaime has been cast 'as well'." I misread that to mean that GRRM had confirmed Dany had been cast. Sorry.

So it sounds like either Dany has been cast and they haven't spoken to GRRM about it yet, or they've stopped accepting new auditions and readings and are close to a decision.

If I have to take a random stab at a Daenerys / Jaime guess ...

I'm thinking there's a reason they were casting their proverbial net all the way to Australia, and I always saw Dany as an Emilie De Ravin type ... but she's busy filming Remember Me and Guardians of Ga'Hoole (not to mention more possible Lost appearances), so if I'm going Aussie I have to split my guess between Emily Browning (though it may conflict with Sucker Punch, to be released in 2011), or Gemma Ward.

Alternately, if I'm taking a British mulligan, I'm going with Imogen Poots.

As for Jaime ... I'm still really crossing my fingers for Max Brown.

Basically no, it's not up to him when this info gets revealed, it's HBO's call since they now own the project (yes, they bought it). Also, GRRM likely doesn't know the precise contract status for the various players, so he can't and shouldn't say a deal is done with an actor until it's been made public by HBO.

Didn't know they'd purchased it, gives me greater hope for the series.

And I've just never been a fan of the "I know something you don't know" type of games.

She would be a fantastic Dany.

Didn't know they'd purchased it, gives me greater hope for the series.

HBO own the TV series and everything associated with it, and are acting as Benioff, Weiss and, in his capacity as executive producer and potential scriptwriter, GRRM's boss. They have no say in the writing of the novels at all, however. In that interview today GRRM said he's not even thinking about how HBO will film some of the stuff in ADWD and later when he writes the book, that's up to them to decide when they get to the same point.

OT, my understanding is that HBO therefore have to approve and release production information themselves before anyone else on the production, even GRRM, can start commenting about it.

I see someone else at Winter is Coming says that a friend spoke to Harry Lloyd (Viserys) after a play (Lloyd is indeed in a play right now, a production of Ibsen's Ghosts) and that Lloyd claimed they had indeed cast Dany but that he couldn't say who.

Could this be a situation where news is lagging behind George a bit? Alternatively, they're all but sure of their choice, but actually haven't signed the deal yet and GRRM isn't jinxing it. He once warned Linda and I "not to buy the couch" when he entered negotiations for the world book (which seemed to be all but certain to go through as well at the time), referring to an old incident with an acquaintance (or maybe it was GRRM himself) who was all but sure he was going to sign a book deal and bought a new couch with the expected money ... but it fell through. So GRRM would certainly be very cagey if it was not absolutely stone solid.

I just love that line, Ran--don't buy the couch. Just after I read your post, I was talking to my sister on the phone, she mentioned that a mutual acquaintance said she's finally going to pay back the money she borrowed from my sister more than two years ago. I said 'Yeah? Well, don't buy the couch just yet!' Of course, she was like 'what?' So I had to explain. Great line, fits so many situations just perfectly. :lol:

I see someone else at Winter is Coming says that a friend spoke to Harry Lloyd (Viserys) after a play (Lloyd is indeed in a play right now, a production of Ibsen's Ghosts) and that Lloyd claimed they had indeed cast Dany but that he couldn't say who.

Could this be a situation where news is lagging behind George a bit? Alternatively, they're all but sure of their choice, but actually haven't signed the deal yet and GRRM isn't jinxing it. He once warned Linda and I "not to buy the couch" when he entered negotiations for the world book (which seemed to be all but certain to go through as well at the time), referring to an old incident with an acquaintance (or maybe it was GRRM himself) who was all but sure he was going to sign a book deal and bought a new couch with the expected money ... but it fell through. So GRRM would certainly be very cagey if it was not absolutely stone solid.

It could also be the sort of thing where the CD has said to Lloyd, "hey, remember that girl you read with? She's our top choice for Dany right now, but we're still negotiating with her agent, so don't tell anyone who she is yet."

It could also be the sort of thing where the CD has said to Lloyd, "hey, remember that girl you read with? She's our top choice for Dany right now, but we're still negotiating with her agent, so don't tell anyone who she is yet."

He may even know the actress or have become friends with her at the audition and maybe heard it from her, but nothing has been finalized yet. He could have found out any number of ways.

So apparently George's reading is at 3 PM EST today, right? If he is going to leak any announcements, it will be during that, I would imagine. Anybody here plan on going? If so, is there a Twitter account or something we could all follow so we get the news as soon as it comes out of his mouth?

Dexter's Matthew Willig expresses an interest in a 'forthcoming HBO pilot'. I could be wrong, but I believe GoT is the only announced upcoming HBO pilot, so unless I'm wrong it has to be for that.

Lots of people are saying the Mountain, as he's not far off 7ft in height, but the Mountain ain't in the pilot. Anyone else come to mind? I think he's too big and maybe too old for Drogo, and if they cast him as Sandor they'll need to find some insanely huge guy (probably augmented by CGI) to do Gregor.

Archived