Goodkind XLV: It Has Arrived!

Myshkin

I actually won three books from Pat, and one book from Graeme, but I'd trade them all for 10 min. with the Yeard.

Will there be any punching involved? Without that nugget of information I'm calling shennanigans. You wouldn't trade any books from Pat for time with the Yeard unless there's gonna be some punching...

Will there be any punching involved? Without that nugget of information I'm calling shennanigans. You wouldn't trade any books from Pat for time with the Yeard unless there's gonna be some punching...

I might ask him to punch me a few times. I like it rough.

Okay...who's really "E.A. Solinas" over at Amazon...it was a wonderful review of Lo9s!

But the actual plot is devoted to a seemingly endless series of very repetitive fights and chases, in which random people turn out to be evil minions of the bad guy -- including a staggeringly boring stint at a mental hospital. Even Goodkind seems to realize that this is teeth-grindingly boring, so he throws in some random plot twists -- a contrived secret society, the evil overlord's secret hobby, and the most boring terrorist attack in the world.

And something else, reading the reviews, having not read the book yet...apparently the world Alex Rahl lives in is "our" world, the world Richard exiled all those who wouldn't follow him, right? So how's a Rahl (according to the one review, the "last scion of the Rahl line") get to be in "our" world anyway...?

Okay...who's really "E.A. Solinas" over at Amazon...it was a wonderful review of Lo9s!

But the actual plot is devoted to a seemingly endless series of very repetitive fights and chases, in which random people turn out to be evil minions of the bad guy -- including a staggeringly boring stint at a mental hospital. Even Goodkind seems to realize that this is teeth-grindingly boring, so he throws in some random plot twists -- a contrived secret society, the evil overlord's secret hobby, and the most boring terrorist attack in the world.

And something else, reading the reviews, having not read the book yet...apparently the world Alex Rahl lives in is "our" world, the world Richard exiled all those who wouldn't follow him, right? So how's a Rahl (according to the one review, the "last scion of the Rahl line") get to be in "our" world anyway...?

When Dick separated the two worlds, his sister (who was "pristinely ungifted" re: magic) and her BF went to the 'new world' and took/kept his name.

Saw a giant table stacked high with Lo9s at Borders yesterday... already 30% off. My life got a little better, seeing that.

That's generally what happens to "famous authors" who have been on the bestseller list, their new releases get the 30% discount. It's Prime Mover stuff.

E.A. Solinas has reviewed at amazon for years and years. And that review...

"And while Goodkind lavishes plenty of detail and foreshadowing in the first chapters, his style deteriorates quickly. His dialogue is plain at best and silly at worst ("It should have a taste to wake it from its long sleep to its purpose"), and Jax and Alex frequently launch into long, dull monologues about evil magic Communists, the wonders of technology (magic glue!) and the "Sword of Truth" world. Eventually you just want them to shut up. "

...Can it be true? Did Goodkind stick to his guns despite "switching styles"? :rolleyes:

From Amazon review

Even worse, Alex is a pretty boring hero who doesn't seem to feel anything other than spurts of rage, even when his ex-girlfriend tries to rape him. Jax is a more intriguing character (a butt-kicking woman stranded in a strange world) but Alex seems more interested in her sex appeal than her actual problems. As for Cain, he's a 2-D villain who wants to rule the world. Yawn.

Good to know that nothing changes in this "new" series.

From the official Goodkind forum:

I love Jax, she is an amazing character. A sorceress, and its been hinted that she's also a confessor. SOO cool. One thing that stuck out for me especially took place on page 194 when Jax said: "...the last Rahl we know anything about before the house of Rahl vanished somewhere in history." This intrigued me, and in many ways kind of hurts.

So this was supposed to be a non-fantasy stand-alone thriller...

Alright, I'm taking one for the team. Barnes and Noble is across the street from my work so I'll be reading through this on my lunch breaks.

****spoilers below*****

We've all read the laughable first chapter. In chapter 2 we find out that Alex paints nature scenes and scoffs at anyone who doesn't like them because they don't "celebrate life". I am not making this up. We also find out that Alex has a quasi-girlfriend he doesn't like, who texts him all the time. Alex finds texting to be idiotic. In a stunning burst of originality, Alex frequently visits the house of "Ben" who is his grandfather, who has a reputation of being eccentric, and a mother who is in an insane asylum. When we meet Ben he is standing naked on his wizards rock tinkering in the garage, trying to extract the "essence" out of something (this has not been explained yet). Ben reveals to Alex that he is the heir to 50000 acres of Maine property (he does this by digging the deed out of his basement wall, literally), but was unable to tell him this until his twenty-seventh birthday. There are a bunch of retarded stipulations surrounding the deed (basically Alex can sell the property to one company, or do absolutely nothing with it, and that's all).

Oh yeah, Jax told Alex to beware of mirrors and he immediately became hyper-paranoid of mirrors. You should always believe cryptic messages from weird, overdressed women.

More updates tomorrow.

Alright, I'm taking one for the team. Barnes and Noble is across the street from my work so I'll be reading through this on my lunch breaks.

****spoilers below*****

We've all read the laughable first chapter. In chapter 2 we find out that Alex paints nature scenes and scoffs at anyone who doesn't like them because they don't "celebrate life". I am not making this up. We also find out that Alex has a quasi-girlfriend he doesn't like, who texts him all the time. Alex finds texting to be idiotic. In a stunning burst of originality, Alex frequently visits the house of "Ben" who is his grandfather, who has a reputation of being eccentric, and a mother who is in an insane asylum. When we meet Ben he is standing naked on his wizards rock tinkering in the garage, trying to extract the "essence" out of something (this has not been explained yet). Ben reveals to Alex that he is the heir to 50000 acres of Maine property (he does this by digging the deed out of his basement wall, literally), but was unable to tell him this until his twenty-seventh birthday. There are a bunch of retarded stipulations surrounding the deed (basically Alex can sell the property to one company, or do absolutely nothing with it, and that's all).

Oh yeah, Jax told Alex to beware of mirrors and he immediately became hyper-paranoid of mirrors. You should always believe cryptic messages from weird, overdressed women.

More updates tomorrow.

My god. That's all.

You're a saint of Lemminghood.

Good God, that's just... The more I hear about this book, the more I think the Mad Moose is a faceless man who secretly killed Tairy and took his place. I think if you asked the Lemmings to collectively (natch) write Goodkind's next non-fantasy book this would be EXACTLY what you'd get.

People bought this with their money, they CHOSE this!

Tormund, you disappoint me.

I read about various spoilers and lots of fun similarities between series just by checking the goodkind.com forums.

Here's what I can tell you off the top of my head:

1. Alex is nearly raped by his ex-girlfriend. Seriously, she tries to rape him, she's one of the bad guys, originally from Tairyland (or something).

2. Jax's last name is Amnell (Klan's last name), no one knows what happened to the Rahls.

3. The protagonists are regularly detained/captured, just like in SoT

4. Plenty of slit throats, gun violence and all the usual 'teh commies, tey're coming for us!'

5. Jax needs Alex because they're trying to destroy magic in Tairyland again. Apparently communism is in their DNA. Even removing all the lazy fucks from the planet isn't enough to stamp out the C-word.

That's all I remember.

What I'm finding a bit hard to believe is that Alex is the last living Rahl. Didn't Richard have like 1,000 half brothers and sisters? I know he killed most of them but what happened to the rest?

In chapter 2 we find out that Alex paints nature scenes and scoffs at anyone who doesn't like them because they don't "celebrate life". I am not making this up.

Yes you are, you have to be, just thinking about that makes my head hurt.

Archived