Calibandar

So yes, officially the trailer is up but after having announced it for a while now, it seems Apple Trailers has gone down on the moment of it's release. It's giving me a message that it's my quicktime but a browse across the net tells me that there servers are down, or having problems with their links. They should have the best format though.

I did a google and did find a version here:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/20/james-...teaser-trailer/

http://www.trailerspy.com/trailer/5045/Ava...aser-Trailer-HD

Hmm.

Looks interesting, but definitely not the Second Coming of cinema, the Next Big Step after sound and then colour etc. Cameron has hyped this film to a truly ridiculous level and there's no way it can match that hype.

The character work looked okay but the jungles looked like a higher-def version of Crysis and all the stuff with the dropships and aerial battles was somewhere between The Matrix Revolutions and the Final Fantasy movie. Hopefully that's just due to it being a trailer and both the finished 2D and IMAX versions will look vastly superior.

But I can't help feeling that Cameron has probably Molyneuxed this film.

It's almost at the point where it's been built up so much that the masses will turn on it and give us another Waterworld.

It didn't play out the way I thought it would from what I had read about the plot. I thought his consciousness was downloaded into a mech, not one of the aliens. Might be a little too cartoony for its own good.

Hmm.

Looks interesting, but definitely not the Second Coming of cinema, the Next Big Step after sound and then colour etc. Cameron has hyped this film to a truly ridiculous level and there's no way it can match that hype.

The character work looked okay but the jungles looked like a higher-def version of Crysis and all the stuff with the dropships and aerial battles was somewhere between The Matrix Revolutions and the Final Fantasy movie. Hopefully that's just due to it being a trailer and both the finished 2D and IMAX versions will look vastly superior.

But I can't help feeling that Cameron has probably Molyneuxed this film.

Did you watch it in HD 1080? This is heaps above Matrix Revolutions and Final Fantasy in terms of CGI. This movie is my wet dream. Mechs, monsters, and aerial battles between dragons and gunships. I'll be there day one with a chainsaw mowing down anyone in my way to the front of the line.

I agree it's been overhyped. I'm trying to enjoy it for whatever it will be, and ignore the hype.

I think it looks excellent. Clearly some visual experts at work here. The teaser trailer says so little about the story that we can't really judge it for anything more than the visuals. Hopefully the film will have a storyline to match the visual splendour, which has so often been the grand problem in CGI heavy movies. That said....

Exotic aliens, tribal culture, spaceships, far future, mecha's and winged dragons. Summarised into a few key words this film could be awesome.

That said, this is quite impressive.

The Avatar computer/console game has been in development in parallel with the movie. Cameron was concerned that normally games based on films suck because they have no development time: the 1-2 year dev time for a movie is not enough for a good current-generation game to be made. So they got Ubisoft involved really early on to make the game as good as possible. Apparently they got to the point where Cameron's design team was designing stuff for the game that doesn't appear in the movie, and Ubisoft's designers created some vehicles which Cameron really liked and nicked for the movie. In addition, the game takes place simultaneously with the events of movie but on a different track following different characters. That sounds quite interesting.

I'm excited based off the trailer but more from seeing a Jim Cameron film again. They entertain, at the least. This premise, what little we can glean, looks interesting. I'm pretty sure the action will be good unless he's fallen off considerably. And if the action's good, I don't really care if much else is that good - it just has to be decent.

Looked great until the Nightelves showed up. Compared to District 9's cg characters, they look pretty weak. Plus, I really don't understand the need to make them cg. From what I can see they're basically just humanoids with blue skin. Make-up and prosthetics would have looked much better (See Hellboy 2).

Anyone else got tix for tomorrow's Avatar Day (or whatever they are calling it)? My friend managed to get through and get tix, then we plan to see Inglorious Basterds afterwards. I gave up trying when the servers were down (which we didn't know at the time), but she's super persistant and eventually got through.

The trailer looks nice - though I haven't watched it in 1080i yet - I tried, but sometimes my system has trouble with the sound part of Quicktime files and though I saw the picture, I couldn't hear it. I will try again.

Visually, it looks impressive but the bit I could glean about the plot (haven't read up about it or anything) seemed sort of sci-fi cliche. I get that it's supposed to look amazing, but is it just supposed to look so, or is it supposed to be so?

Definitely agree that the hype behind the movie has been such that Avatar must be a wonder to even begin to live up to it.

Finally got the audio working properly so I could watch it in HD - it does look better and the characters more realistic in that format. I think being able to see more of the facial/skin detail helps take it out of the uncanny valley. When I see it in 3D IMAX tomorrow (assuming Fox hasn't screwed up the screenings too), I'll come back with my report either late Friday or sometime Saturday.

I'm thinking too much time spent on visuals and not enough spent on story = not gonna be one of the all time great sci-fi movies. District 9 on the other hand, with a much lower budget, looks like it's gonna stand the test of time much better.

I'm reading up some more on the film and they are talking of several different story strands and a whole lot of story to tell. That would explain the run time which is to be over 2.5 hours.

I'm thinking too much time spent on visuals and not enough spent on story

District 9 on the other hand, with a much lower budget, looks like it's gonna stand the test of time much better.

1. Time does not matter: Aguirre, Wrath of God

Herzog claims to have written the screenplay in two and a half days. (He wrote a good portion of it while traveling with his soccer team, during games and on bus rides. Following one game, the team was very drunk, and the player seated behind Herzog vomited on his typewriter, ruining many pages of the script. Herzog was unable to salvage the pages, and tossed them out the window. He was also unable to recall what he'd written on them.)

2. There are two kind of sci-fi:

a, Solaris (1972), Alien/Aliens, Blade Runner, 2001, The Matrix, T1/T2, Twelve Monkeys, A Clockwork Oronge, Brazil, E.T., The Thing, Fahrenheit 451 etc.

b, Sunshine, Children of Men, Cloverfield, District 9

2. There are two kind of sci-fi:

a, Solaris (1972), Alien/Aliens, Blade Runner, 2001, The Matrix, T1/T2, Twelve Monkeys, A Clockwork Oronge, Brazil, E.T., The Thing, Fahrenheit 451 etc.

b, Sunshine, Children of Men, Cloverfield, District 9

Erm, what are your critera for this division? In what universe is A Clockwork Orange more similar to E.T. than to, say, Children of Men?

Looked great until the Nightelves showed up.

I found it a little strange at first, but warmed to it after.

The film does look a little weird, but I'm suddenly interested in seeing this. When I first heard of this, and the confusion over it and the Avatar: Last Airbender titles, I thought it'd be a case of one sucking and the other being something special. Looks like we have our answer.

I've watched the teaser in HD and I have my doubts.

I found it all rather "uncanny valley", but in a different sort of way.

If you look at individual frames, it's all so well done that they avoid the uncanny valley. But when the scenes flip back and forth between looking like a live-action movie and looking like an animated movie, the result is rather unsettling and fake-looking.

It accentuates how the CG heavy-scenes are CG rather than blending the two together well.

Of course, there is the fact that when watching the actual movie, the transitions between the two are going to be nowhere near as frequent as in the trailer. And it's quite likely that watching it on a computer monitor loses something compared to the cinema screen.

So, hopefully, in the finished article, it'll be fine.

If you look at individual frames, it's all so well done that they avoid the uncanny valley. But when the scenes flip back and forth between looking like a live-action movie and looking like an animated movie, the result is rather unsettling and fake-looking.

It accentuates how the CG heavy-scenes are CG rather than blending the two together well.

This.

Can someone explain to me again why this is supposed to be the end all be all?

Archived