Calibandar

Warning: Long post ahead.

1. Saw it again last night. Imax 3d, which was FAR superior to the regular movie that I saw opening weekend. Very very well done. That being said, I went to the 12:15 showing (AM Sunday Morning / Saturday night) so we didn't finish until 3:30 or so. That being said, the theatre still had a line waiting to get in, and ended up about 1/3 full. Very impressive I thought.

2. @ Redsnow

Maybe the planet has "wireless" but only in case of emergencies? :)

I did notice on rewatch that when the 'horse' animals are foraging, they use their 'usb ports' as feelers or proboscis. Not something you would notice the first time through, but would provide a feasible way for Eywa to link up with any given species if many of them had this particular foraging method.

3. @Floating Mountain illegitimacy.

The Hallelujah Mountains of Pandora are floating within the 'flux vortex' near the Tree of Souls which is ostensibly Eywa. Given that the planet is one giant 'brain' and we see that if is connected via electrical signals similar to a brain... Couldn't the sheer volume of electrical activity running to the Tree of Souls be fairly great if you think of the entire planet being a thinking conscience that routes all of its thought through that particular point? Given the volume of moving current, and perhaps some weird handwavy amplification affect, I would imagine that the magnetic field within that particular area could be quite strong, and honestly wacked out... Leading to chunks of rock that are just sort of floating at different levels within the field? They did already mention Pandora is low gravity... Shifting magnetic fields based on how hard Eywa is thinking would certainly mess with all sorts of electrical instruments as well.

4. @Possible Theme of Movie

The minds ability to control tools...

Soldiers -> Use biokinetic technology to make 'Mechs behave the way they are moving their body on a smaller scale (Similar to some of the motion capture Cameron used himself?)

Scientists -> Use pods and bionic uplinks to mentally 'drive' empty shell (Avatar). This process leaves them unable to control their own bodies.

Na'Vi -> Use USB ports to connect to other animals and extend their consciousness through them. Become 'one' with the animals, functioning together.

And yet... Na'Vi are certainly doing something abhorrent by taking away the ability of animals to control themselves? Certainly the Ikran (dragons) we see become tamed instantly with a link to a Na'Vi mind...

The scientist 'dreamwalkers' are certainly doing something wrong, growing empty shells in to simply inhabit on their own whim, seems morally dubious at best. Especially for a country that has trouble condoning the use of embryonic stem cell research...

The soldiers at least are not dominating any particular other mind in order to inhabit their machines, which are merely tools. Yet where does one decide the difference between intentions and actions? Clearly the soldiers are morally 'wrong' but we tend to see those in the right committing shenanigans along the way.

Finally where does Eywa fit in? are the Na'vi sentient because they had connected to it the way they themselves connect to animals? Hrrm.

5. Cool Thing I liked.

When Tsu'tey first brings the alien dreamwalker (Jake Sully) into camp to be ostensibly killed, he doesnt bind him, but rather grabs his 'usb port' at the base of his head, and holds his knife between head and hair as if to slice off the port at the first sign of trouble. I thought that was a very neat touch.

/finished.

Warning: Long post ahead.

2. @ Redsnow

I did notice on rewatch that when the 'horse' animals are foraging, they use their 'usb ports' as feelers or proboscis. Not something you would notice the first time through, but would provide a feasible way for Eywa to link up with any given species if many of them had this particular foraging method.

5. Cool Thing I liked.

When Tsu'tey first brings the alien dreamwalker (Jake Sully) into camp to be ostensibly killed, he doesnt bind him, but rather grabs his 'usb port' at the base of his head, and holds his knife between head and hair as if to slice off the port at the first sign of trouble. I thought that was a very neat touch.

/finished.

Yes, I loved little things like these on the second viewing.

One thing that amused was that the knife Duke Nukem wips out in his final confrontation with Sully is clearly visible the first time you see the 'mech.

For all the weaknesses in the script the level of attention to detail is amazing IMO.

2. @ Redsnow

Nice catch. If Eywa can contact the animals via any plant with a USB, and not just the ones in the "light garden", it should be relarively easy to rally all the beasties.

It's good to hear there are lots of little details in the second viewing.

Saw it in IMAX this time, and it was excellent for a second time! Unfortunately we were only 20 minutes early, so we had to sit up front, which definitely gave me neck strain and made some of the images at the top not appear quite right. But on the whole, it was incredibly cool that big.

Archived