Calibandar

God damn it - why can't Hollywood make a film about ASoIaF or about the Assasins Trilogy by Hobb, or or or or. Why this? I dunno.

Ummm, there's something you should know: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=25.

With regards to Avatar, because this is what tickles James Cameron's fancy at the moment. He's in a position that few other creative people are in in Hollywood and he thinks this is the way to go. I can't say *I* find it particularly interesting at the moment, but I might be wrong, or maybe Cameron has missed the difference between "ground-breaking cinematic event" and personal pet projects.

I saw the Avatar trailer on the big screen when I went to see District 9. I must say seeing it this way made me more interested in seeing the whole thing than seeing the trailer on the small screen. I still think it will be more style than substance though, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ummm, there's something you should know: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=25.

With regards to Avatar, because this is what tickles James Cameron's fancy at the moment. He's in a position that few other creative people are in in Hollywood and he thinks this is the way to go. I can't say *I* find it particularly interesting at the moment, but I might be wrong, or maybe Cameron has missed the difference between "ground-breaking cinematic event" and personal pet projects.

A series is not a movie ;) I like movies more than a tv-show. That's why I wish ASoIaF on the big screen.

A series is not a movie ;) I like movies more than a tv-show. That's why I wish ASoIaF on the big screen.

All I can say is that I'm really, really glad that you have been disappointed :D

It would take a series of about 20 or so 3-hour long movies to do it justice once the series is complete - there's no way. This is why a big TV series is the best option. You can always get yourself a nice big flat screen, or watch it at a friend's house who does have one.

It would take a series of about 20 or so 3-hour long movies to do it justice once the series is complete - there's no way. This is why a big TV series is the best option. You can always get yourself a nice big flat screen, or watch it at a friend's house who does have one.

No you are right - but I did not say that they should make ONE movie, did I? 3 and 3 hours per book (for AFFC 3 hours would suffice) and everyone would be happy. I mean, come on, six hours for A Game of Thrones would be enough, wouldn't it? But I have a flat screen - but I want to see the fights, especially the one on the Blackwater with thousands of soldiers. Not like in Rome, where the whole 13 Legion consisted of 200 men. That would be shitty.

• 2 months later...
I like it. It looks the part for sure, a spectacular SF/Fantasy feast of a film.

That trailer makes me more interested than the teaser trailer did, since they do now have some dialogue and plot in it and most of it seems fairly good with some spectacular visuals. I'm still a bit concerned about the bits of dialogue with the aliens where despite the good CGI they still don't feel like real characters - see the brief clip where he says "Outstanding" where the 'acting' feels a bit wooden, although maybe it would work better if we saw the full scene rather than just a brief clip.

This looks awful.

Does Cameron have any idea how silly it is to extol the virtues of primitivism/tribalism by making a film funded by capitalists, a film whose creation must have generated an enormous carbon footprint and consumed untold ammounts of nonrenewable energy. We're greedy Westerers here to rape and pillage your beautiful Gaia planet blah blah blah. Gag me with a spoon.

He basically took the plot of Ferngully and added some sci-fi elements to it. That trailer gives away the entire plot, which isn't interesting to begin with.

This looks awful.

Does Cameron have any idea how silly it is to extol the virtues of primitivism/tribalism by making a film funded by capitalists, a film whose creation must have generated an enormous carbon footprint and consumed untold ammounts of nonrenewable energy. We're greedy Westerers here to rape and pillage your beautiful Gaia planet blah blah blah. Gag me with a spoon.

He basically took the plot of Ferngully and added some sci-fi elements to it. That trailer gives away the entire plot, which isn't interesting to begin with.

Ferngully didn't have mechs with swords. The story of Avatar has been done many times before. The difference is that Cameron is telling it with aerial dragon/gunship battles and giant monsters attacking giant mechs. Your feeble attack of hypocrisy is just silly.

This looks awful.

I forget the part of the trailer where he is extolling the virtues of primitivsm/tribalism, where was it again? I must have missed it when the simularities to current western doctrine in the Middle East came to mind.

In either case, you can't tell me that that isn't exactly what humans would do if put in such a situation. The sad thing is is that despite any protestations about it being yet another familiar theme about man's greediness, the notion that we are still capable of this remains because humans have done very little to prove otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
This looks awful.

lol

Id say its closer to Dances With Wolves than Ferngully. Its a story we've all seen lots of times before. Then again Ive seen lots of vampire movies before too, and they're all still entertaining. This shouldnt be any different.

I find the visuals stunning, the story interesting, and the writing, well seems to be on par with StarWars episodes 1-3 (pretty atrocious).

I saw a 3-5 minute extended trailer during Glee last night, and I have to say, I think this will be one movie that Dub and I get a babysitter for.

Any takers on watching an almost 2 year old Mav?

But seriously, I'm glad I like the look of this movie so far, because I'm still upset Cameron's next movie wasn't Aquaman starring Vincent Chase.

No, I'm not kidding.

That trailer makes me more interested than the teaser trailer did, since they do now have some dialogue and plot in it and most of it seems fairly good with some spectacular visuals. I'm still a bit concerned about the bits of dialogue with the aliens where despite the good CGI they still don't feel like real characters - see the brief clip where he says "Outstanding" where the 'acting' feels a bit wooden, although maybe it would work better if we saw the full scene rather than just a brief clip.

That's the thing, the CGI characters really seem off for some reason. For this particular movie, I don't mind the generic / crappy plot and dialog, as long as Cameron delivers on the much hyped visuals. And the world does look spectacular. But scenes with aliens do look like a cheap cartoon.

I wonder if it will be better in 3D...

I thought the visuals were fine. The part were the alien female says "You should not be here." with a flick of her hand, is very realistic, as is her reaction later on. If anything, i think they've gone the extra mile, as what i have seen from Worthington so far he's not much one for facial expressions. In keeping with the notion that he is the brains behind the body, i think that fits perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

Mya,

I saw a 3-5 minute extended trailer during Glee last night, and I have to say, I think this will be one movie that Dub and I get a babysitter for.

Any takers on watching an almost 2 year old Mav?

But seriously, I'm glad I like the look of this movie so far, because I'm still upset Cameron's next movie wasn't Aquaman starring Vincent Chase.

No, I'm not kidding.

I just saw the international trailer. If I can talk Laura into it I might try the same thing. Yeah, the stories been done before. But this is Cameron's first movie since Titanic and in my opinion I've never seen Cameron do a "bad" movie. There have been better and worse ones but never simply "Bad."

Archived