Interlinking with Wiki's in other languages?

Scafloc

After the linking the articles on AWOIAF to the French wiki "La guarde de Nuit" (kudos for Evrach and Lordberry) we could try to connect with other Song of Ice and Fire Wiki's.

I have found a few. Does anybody know a member of those wiki's? And are there others?

For the first two it will be hard make links to the correct articles as most people (including me) cannot read those languages

I found a spanish wiki too but it contained only 6 pages.

Wahoo O_O

I register myself on Ashaii.com to push the spanish fans to make a wiki ^^

Ashaii is the second biggest asoiaf fan-forum after Westeros after all, there's probably interessed people there ^^

Someone who speak hebrew or Russian here to make a contact ? ^____^

Very great job & idea Scafloc !

• 3 months later...

Okay, we are interwikid to the Russian site as well. :) I used the direct method, myself, but if you're not familiar with MySQL use one of the extensions perhaps.

Once you have it set, the best thing to do is to go to your main page, edit it, and somewhere at the very bottom add

[[en:Main_Page]]

This will then automatically link the Wiki of Ice and Fire Main Page as the English-language version of the Russian wiki mainpage.

Russian-speaking visitors, please feel free to start interwiking links between AWoIaF and Chronarda.

• 1 year later...

I have some news about Russian ASOIAF wiki. It always be part of 7kingdoms.ru site and now it moved from chronard.ru/wiki/ to 7kingdoms.ru/wiki/ Our permalink structure is also changing to:

http://7kingdoms.ru/wiki/Article-name

Could you change interwiki links in database, please?

• 1 month later...

I found some more wiki's.

Most of them are still small. With the really small ones I think we should wait with links until they are a bit more stable. It would be a waist of effort to setup links with wiki's that cease to exist after a short time (like the Hebrew and Dutch wiki that have disappeared).

But what should the criteria be? 100 pages, a few dedicated users? Suggestions are appreciated!

Maybe some non native English speakers on the board would like to work on a wiki dedicated to the series but would prefer to do that in their native language. So the list below is also intended for them. If you know other wiki's please add them!

• Portuguese wiki, 172 pages, seems to have been founded this year
  • Finnish wikia. 37 pages, not a lof of activity lately
  • German wiki, 6 pages, seem to have been founded this year
  • Italian wikia, 18 pages, seems to have been founded this year
  • Portuguese wikia, 30 pages, quite a number of picture and founded this year
  • Spanish wikia, 24 pages, number of recent contributions
  • Polish wiki; the main page seems to have been inspired by our own. 43 pages
  • English wikia: 291 pages, exists at least since 2008, since the begin the series a lot of activity

And to be complete (most of you will know them):

I think at least several hundred pages really need to exist, at least, to show really deep and serious effort. The Portuguese/Brazillian site comes closest, but it also seems to be using Wikidot, and I'm not sure that interwiki capability works with them, as I think that's a Mediawiki feature. ...

Yes, a look at their forum suggests that they don't support interwiki syntax, unfortunately. Potentially we could still set up a interwiki link from us to them, but they couldn't reciprocate, apparently.

Much as with Wikidot, Wikia restricts interwiki linking to other Wikia or to a currated list of external wikis, so again, they couldn't reciprocate (unless they got the ASoIaF wiki onto the list, anyways). That does rather take the fun out of interwiki linking.

I'd also see interwiki links primarily as a means of providing material in different languages, so I think interwiki links to other English-language wikis would just be confusing.

Having a page somewhere that just links to these non-Mediawiki/Wikia/Wikidot sites seems like a possible solution until such time as one is sufficiently large and active (and able to reciprocate its linking) to be interwikied... but I'm not sure that really fits the site. OTOH, we're planning on remaking the Ring of Ice and Fire sub-site into more of a directory, and that could fit right into that.

• 3 months later...

Well, first of all, my maternal languaje is not english, so please excuse me if I say something in the wrong way o anything like that.

I've been recently named administrator of the A Song of Ice and Fire' wiki in spanish (here is the link http://hieloyfuego.wikia.com). The wiki has been abandoned for a very long time and I started to work in it for at least a month from now. Along with two other people, we have increased the name of pages from 24 to 100 in just 3 weeks.

I write here for 2 things:

1º How is that interlink matter work? Maybe it could be a good idea interlink the wiki in spanish (now that is getting bigger) with the official wiki in english (let me say it, I love the Wiki of Ice and Fire, it has been a huge help as I read the books, but some times I'm confused about the names of places and battles, just because I've read the spanish version).

2º Does anybody here speak spanish as their maternal languaje? If so, you are more than welcome to join this project. It's still small, but I have confidence that it will continue "Growing Strong".

Once again, sorry for the mistakes in the writing, I'm not very used to write in english, but I hope it has not been too wrong :rofl:

Thanks for reading!

Hi RH,

As Ran pointed out to be able to create an interlink from your wiki to our you would have to request that at the talk page of http://community.wikia.com/wiki/MediaWiki%3AInterwiki_map. To be able to do the same from our site to yours Ran will have to add an extra row in a table in the AWOIAF database.

The idea is that we set up inkterlinks when booth wiki's can do that (else it more or less takes out the purpose) and when the wiki has a several hunderd articles (see Ran's post above). With the amazing speed (kudos!) that you are currently working that should not take a lot of time.

I don't speak Spanish myself but maybe I can help with some templates. Are you planning on using the family trees for instance? If so it is easy to copy them and remplace the English names with Spanish ones. Also I would advice you to look at La Guarde de Nuit. They are oldest wiki for the series and have developed an amazing stucture of templates, portals and so on.

wikia's are very easy to edit but also less flexible in terms of administration, additionally Wikia is operated by a company whose business model based on commercials (which is why they pop up helping editors themselves in making popular wikias more attractive), thus they are not likely to spend time on making interwikis that will take traffic from them, at least this is my two cents.

Archived