September 2009 Reads, Potential Reads, and Abandoned Reads

Larry.

Slogging through The Divine Talisman by Eldon Thompson. A fast-paced, action-packed read. The dude is a mega Terry Brooks fan and a lot of his crap is basically taken from the shitty Shannara books. However, there is a lot of battle and excitement, and a pretty badass scene in which a dragon ravages a city. Yeah, the guy's story and characters are a lot like Brooks, excluding the 500+ pages of useless boring crap.

What's next? Erikson's Memories of Ice. After that, I don't know...maybe the first book of the Dresden Files.

I'm about a third of the way through Jim Butcher's Grave Peril. It's pretty good, but I'm not liking it as much as I liked Fool Moon (there's still a lot of book left though).

Huh?

You know you were way out of line with that comment, Mashira. Don't pretend you're all innocent in this :P

Seriously though, what will it take you to read the two books? 4, 5 hours for both of them?

You know you were way out of line with that comment, Mashiara. Don't pretend you're all innocent in this :P

Who, me? *looks around* What did I do?

Seriously though, what will it take you to read the two books? 4, 5 hours for both of them?

Now, that's just unfair. They are about 700 pages each, in a foreign language. More like 5-6 hours for each of them. :P

(No, not really. Beginning of the school year and all that. What I should be reading is textbooks and teacher books.)

Brady,

I just got a ton of Steinbeck books from some crazy chick (I think she's stalking me and stuff), so I'll be tearing through them, and probably Erikson's Dust of Dreams for some big asplosions.

:lol: Admit it, you love every minute of it.

I should read East of Eden, you and your stalker got me interested in it. I've read Grapes of Wrath when I was a lot younger. I could even reread that, I guess.

I finished Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou, a Warhammer 40K novel. Some good stuff in there and I'm continually impressed with the level of writing in the W40K books, especially the military aspect of them. This one gave some excellent war scenes and front line fighting.

I'm reading The Colour of Magic at the moment while listening to The Drawing of the Three and Starship Troopers audio books.

Brady,

:lol: Admit it, you love every minute of it.

I should read East of Eden, you and your stalker got me interested in it. I've read Grapes of Wrath when I was a lot younger. I could even reread that, I guess.

Love it, love her :blush:

And you should read East of Eden. I thought it was great, and there wasn't even any explosions or swordfights or anything like that (though there was numerous shootings, a few beatings, and hijinks in a brothel)

Yes. :P Also look out for the, um, homages to Pet Sematary and Apt Pupil. I mean, I love RRMcC, but far too much of his early stuff is Stephen-King-Moves-To-Alabama.

Yeah, I got the reference in Boy's Life to Pet Sematary (which I thought was very out of place and not handled well at all) and sort of to Apt Pupil.

Finished it now, and thought it was pretty good. Sometimes McCammon gets on a roll and writes so damn well and exciting it's almost impossible to put the book down. But I think the plot development was too convenient and the pace was too slow in places.

What other books from him do you recommend? I loved Swan Song!

Also, I need help with what to read next. On the shelf are the following books:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Spook Country - William Gibson

Iron Council - China Mieville

The Island - Richard Laymon

Then there is also The Baroque Cycle which I know I'll like (cause I love Neal Stephensons books) but it scares me a little...the length, his language. :stunned:

I finished off Prine of Nothing and leaving it at that.

I've just begun Malazan based on recommendations from this board. I also read PoN because of board recommendations so if I don't like Malazan, I'm going to read Paolini, Jordan, Goodkind, and Eddings (since those seem to be pretty universally disliked here). :P

I'm kidding...sort of. After Malazan, I intend to reread the Wheel of Time for the next book.

Last night I finished Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett, another fun Discworld book.

I also finished Pump Six by Paolo Bacigalupi. It's a fairly dark collection of short stories, often featuring futures radically altered by genetic and biological engineering. It's somewhat depressing, but very good. I'm looking forward to reading The Windup Girl coming out this month.

My next book will be Figures in Silk, a historical novel by Vanora Bennett. The next short story anthology will be Returning My Sister's Face by Eugie Foster.

Finished reading 'The Best of Michael Moorcock'. Here's a book that is best dipped into (rather than read all at once) and is full of goodness. I don't know if it's his 'best' work but it's well worth a look. My full review is over Here. I can't even remember what I was originally going to read next as I bought myself a copy of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' over the weekend and it jumped straight to the top of the pile!

Yeah, I got the reference in Boy's Life to Pet Sematary (which I thought was very out of place and not handled well at all) and sort of to Apt Pupil.

Finished it now, and thought it was pretty good. Sometimes McCammon gets on a roll and writes so damn well and exciting it's almost impossible to put the book down. But I think the plot development was too convenient and the pace was too slow in places.

What other books from him do you recommend? I loved Swan Song!

The last of his early books, Gone South, is a cracking read, though not exactly horror; in a similar vein I'd also recommend his recent historical-fiction series starting with Speaks the Nightbird, none of which steals anything from King at all.

For more on the horror side, try The Wolf's Hour which features werewolves and Nazis, and his short fiction collection Blue World is also awesome.

<--- bit of a McCammon fangirl

I own a copy of McCammon's Stinger. Is it any good?

It's been a long while since I read Stinger, I remember it being decent, dunno what I'd think of it now.

Usher's Passing & Mine are another 2 McCammon books that are very good, Boys Life & Swan Song being my favorite.

His current Matthew Corbett series (Nightbird, Bedlam, Slaughter) are good historical fiction books.

For more on the horror side, try The Wolf's Hour which features werewolves and Nazis, and his short fiction collection Blue World is also awesome.

<--- bit of a McCammon fangirl

I'm trying hard to find a good copy of The Wolf's Hour and can't find it. It took me a long time to track down The Night Boat and would love to get Wolf's Hour since they seem to go together.

Night Boat: Nazi Zombies

Wolf's Hour: Nazi Werewolves(Are the Nazis werewolves or is it werewolves vs. nazis?)

Finally got my copy of Dust of Dreams and will be reading that along with finishing The Judging Eye by Bakker so that takes care of September.

Finished reading 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies', very childish but great fun to read. The thought of the Bennet sisters doing the 'Pentagram of Death' still makes me laugh! I'm almost tempted to pick up the original book to find out what really happened. My full review is over Here. I'm now reading 'Mythago Wood' and I've got a couple of other books that I'm also finishing off...

I finished "Only Kids are afraid of the Dark" "The Fortress" and "And Death his Legacy" all short stories written by our beloved Martin.

Only Kids are adraid in the Dark, was really really boring. One notices that he was really young and that he was a comic freak (I hate comics). A Super Ghost fighting against A Super Evil Guy? WTF? However, the prose was okay. 3/10

And Death his Legacy, was interesting. The prose was better and I liked the whole idea. 8/10

The Fortress was awesome! I am not going to tell anything, since it would spoil the experience of some who haven't read it yet. I will just say this: After reading Fortress, I knew why Martin made it to the top! 10/10

Archived