What the Storm Means- Review and synopsis.

fionwe1987

"I’m a Borderlander. And that storm means the end is coming, Renald. We need to be there when it arrives.†He stopped, then turned and looked to the north, watching those building clouds as a farmhand might watch a poisonous snake he found in the middle of the field. “Light preserve us, my friend. We need to be there.â€

Mysterious clouds, desperate statements, eye opening revelations and a pervading feeling of darkness and action soon to come mark What the Storm Means.

The story begins with a random farmer and his decision to give up his well settled life and go north to battle the storm. Richly symbolic, the atmosphere of this opening scene is of hopeless determination and a realization that the end is near.

We hear of an army gathering "up north", to which large numbers of common men, women and even children are headed, to be there when the end comes.

Next, we move back to a scene we saw in KoD, Rand sending the sul'dam back to the Seanchan. Seen through the eyes of a sul'dam, we see nothing new here, except that Rand is determined to have peace with the Seanchan, and intends to stop the war at Arad Doman to achieve it. However, it was refreshing to see Rand from the eyes of a total stranger, to see how much fear he inspires, how he seems more a tyrant than a leader.

We move next to another Seanchan PoV, Tylee Khirgan. Again, we see nothing much that is new or surprising, except that Tylee has the same thoughts as Rand... the Seanchan need allies, and the true threat is the Shadow. The PoV has a pretty unexpected ending, with Trollocs attacking the Seanchan, a day's ride from Ebou Dar.

We next move to one of my favorite PoVs from the series. Graenal. Moridin sends an Asha'man to summon Graendal to meet him. I think many will agree that this is significantly important in proving that Moridin is indeed Taim. She steps into a black tower, and I was shocked silly when she recognizes the Blight outside. Mesaana and Demandred appear, surprised at Graendal's presence. Mesaana makes a plea for Semirhage's rescue, but Moridin denies it, stating that she had failed to do as ordered and had had the guts to harm Rand. Mesaana then reports that she is confident that the Aes Sedai will be fighting for the Shadow this time, one way or another. Demandred, the ever mysterious Demandred, says, "My rule is secure. I gather for war. We will be ready."

Like Graendal, I was itching to know more, but of course, no go. Moridin then does the rare feat of complimenting Graendal, and says that if she succeeds, she will be assistant Nae'blis, or something like that. All she has to do is prevent Rand from restoring order in Arad Doman. Oh, and by the by...

“The end is near,†Moridin said. “The Wheel has groaned its final rotation, the clock has lost its spring, the serpent heaves its final gasps. He must know pain of heart. He must know frustration, and he must know anguish. Bring these to him. And you will be rewarded.â€

Chilling. And definitely, this is what the storm means. Psychological destruction for Rand. Clearly, Arad Doman is the battle ground where Rand is going to face his toughest opponent to date, probably the worst till he meets the Dark One.

Incidentally, Moridin's left hand is stiff, mirroring Rand. And its certain that this is why he's so pissed at Semirhage (no matter that some Darkfriend in the group told Mesaana that the fireball was a reflex) . Clearly, he wants Rand alive till the Last Battle.

We move now to our favorite General Rodel Ituralde. He continues to confound the Seanchan, and its a great pleasure to read. I don't know why the other Great Captains are called Great Captains. None of them seem to be as wily and clever as Rodel.

Finally, we have a mad PoV, very clearly written by Jordan. I was so surprised to get a PoV of Masema that I almost missed the hint that it was Moridn (or some other Forsaken) who was the master of his madness, ordering him to kill Perrin. His madness is pretty well written, but nothing sets the tone for the book better than how the Prologue ends.

Faile gives us the reason why she had to be rescued. In a chilling foreshadowing of the book's tone, Faile ambushes and kills Masema's men before finally driving her knife through his heart in thanks for helping in her rescue. And Perrin mustn't know. Of course. Brrr.

I must say that it was much more difficult to notice where Brandon Sanderson was doing the writing. Odd phrases like medical aid did jar my reading, but Sanderson was almost undetectable in the text, maybe because most of it was RJ's.

With a pretty decent body count for a prologue, Jordan seems to have given us the hint that this story ain't ending clean. As I always expected.

I realize this ended up being more a synopsis than a review, but I couldn't help myself! If this prologue is any sign of how the rest of the series is going to progress, then I can certainly say that Jordan knew where he was going, and it was some place great.

loved it

cannot wait.

im thinking demandred is either in shara, murandy, or land of madmen

surprised that they had to ask for permission to rescue her. I still dont know why they dont force circles with black ajah and just leave them in the tower. once its been made, only the holder can break it.

and faile.. awesome

and rodel = awesome. truly a great general

my big question... when chapter 1 was released, they said there was a small connection to the prologue.. which part? was it the sul'dam part? because it doesn't seem like it connected to chapter 1 at all really.

and im really hoping that rand doesn't stop rodel. that would be stupid, especialy considering rand said he would crush the seanchan if they don't accept his peace.

Nice prologue, and I especially liked the Forsaken bits and the general feeling of doom.

Going by the hints it's pretty clear that Demandred is in control of the borderlander army, which is quite cool, and I also liked the part were Graendal is ordered to cause Rand anguish but not killing him. I wonder who in his group she will kill?

Moridin maybe sending an Asha'man as a messenger was also nice, and a forsaken manipulating Masema to kill Perrin was a nice revelation. Who could it be? Masames death was also in tone with KoD, were alot of lesser bad guys were killed of.

The Ituralde bit was entertaining as usual, but I didn't like the that we didn't got to see the bloodshed. It also looks like Tylee is set up to be the seanchan woman in Egwenes dream.

And the trollocs in Ebau Dar? Any theories about that?? I don't see what the shadow have to win by revealing itself to the Seanchan that early. But maybe it was an ambush meant to leave no survivors. But then why was Tylee and her army a target? Is their any hints in KoD?

The sul'dam part was the only boring bit. It didn't reveal anything new really, but it will probably be important for the peace deal later.

my big question... when chapter 1 was released, they said there was a small connection to the prologue.. which part? was it the sul'dam part? because it doesn't seem like it connected to chapter 1 at all really.

Yes, that is the part that's connected. In chapter 1, Rand wonders why the Seanchan haven't gotten back to him about his peace offer. In the prologue, we discover it's because that sul'dam he sent fears for her life.

I liked the prologue. I'm especially intrigued that Demandred and Mesaana are very close, and that they are concerned for Semirhage. What have the three of them been planning?

Also, the way Mesaana indicates the White Tower will soon be whole, it looks like she's at the roots of the Too-Young-Sitters thing.

Also, the way Mesaana indicates the White Tower will soon be whole, it looks like she's at the roots of the Too-Young-Sitters thing.

Uhhh? She says the Tower will totally disintegrate and the AS will be fighting for the Shadow one way or another. The Too young sitters are clearly the result of the Ajah Heads plotting.

Uhhh? She says the Tower will totally disintegrate and the AS will be fighting for the Shadow one way or another. The Too young sitters are clearly the result of the Ajah Heads plotting.

Ah...you're right. I read the Forsaken part too quickly the first time. I thought Mesaana was offering a unified tower, but instead she claims it'll stay broken. My bad.

I realize that the too-young Sitters thing has been orchestrated by the Ajahs, but we're still not certain to what purpose. When Mesaana commented that some sisters in the White Tower serve her unwillingly, I immediately thought of the Ajah-heads and their plotting. I guess it doesn't really make sense, as the too-young Sitters (Faiselle, Takima, Magla, Saroiya and Varilin in the rebels' camp) seem to be trying to prevent all-out warfare.

I guess if TGS focuses on Egwene's plotline, we'll get to see what Mesaana's plans are. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out how Demandred fits into the big picture.

Demandred, the ever mysterious Demandred, says, "My rule is secure. I gather for war. We will be ready."

Dumb question - did RJ state that Demandred is NOT Mazrim Tiam? If he isn't, I will be pissed off. The prologue made it sound like he was - I didn't think Demandred was really linked to the Borderlands, I thought when he said he was ready he ment his blackcoats.

Also missed the Masema bit - how do we know he didn't just go mad on his own? I admit I did read it rather fast.

I finally don't hate Faile.

The farmers moving north...meh, I don't buy it.

I think Moridin was pissed off about Rand being hurt is because they are linked after that crossing the streams thing. Grendal (also one of my favorites) noticed that Moridin looked like Rand when he was leaning against the fireplace. Which also makes me wonder....when has Grendal seen Rand in that position? As far as I can remember, there was never a time mentioned for Rand and Greandal to meet other than Lanfear's taunts that if Rand captured Grendal, she would have to try to please him instead of her play pretties pleasing her. Oh, and the Rand's eyesight thing - due to the saa?

LOVED the sul'dam POV. Seeing Rand from a stranger's perspective was awesome.

Dumb question - did RJ state that Demandred is NOT Mazrim Tiam? If he isn't, I will be pissed off. The prologue made it sound like he was - I didn't think Demandred was really linked to the Borderlands, I thought when he said he was ready he ment his blackcoats.

RJ is on record stating that Demandred is not Mazrim Taim. However, from Winter's Heart we know that Demandred has given orders to some of the Darkfriend Asha'man, so he's involved with the Black Tower to some degree. I, too, think that's what he meant when he said his troops were ready. Graendal's thoughts about the Borderlanders are trying a little too hard to lead us down the wrong track, I think.

Misdirection most likely. Another point in the Demandred is not Taim camp (other than RJ's direct statement which came later) is in the climax of Winter's Heart. We get a Demandred POV where he sees one of the Asha'men out there and doesn't recognize them (I'm even thinking it was even one of the darkfriend AM's... its been so long Flinn maybe???). If Demandred were Taim, he certainly would have known who it was.

I didn't actually read the prologue yet, is it as long as some of the other ones RJ had been doing? I think KoD's was something like 80 pages long IIRC. Also do we know if "What the storm means" is RJ's title for the prologue or is it Harriet/BS's? If its RJ's, then I can see where they got The Gathering Storm for the book.

There's plenty of foreshadowing that while there may be a tempory peace for the Last Battle, the Ituraldes of the world will still carry on their fight afterwards. There was a foretelling in book 5 or 6 I think that said something along the lines of "The great battle done, but the world not done with battle." So there will be plenty of stuff left over that isn't resolved by these books.

The bits with the sul'dam and damane seem to be the most Jordan-esque in tone. The Masema stuff seemed the least like his writing, imho. Generally it was quite good and has at least got me thinking about all the plot strands again in preparation for the next book.

I will need to go back and read the Forsaken bit again to try and sort out what is all going on there. Seems that Mesaana is suggesting she will be delivering a broken Tower AND the Kin. There is also reference to 'one of their people' at the meeting between Rand and Semi, so there's another BA sister there, or one of the sul'dam (I can't remember if any of the known BA with Rand went to the meeting or not).

We move now to our favorite General Rodel Ituralde. He continues to confound the Seanchan, and its a great pleasure to read. I don't know why the other Great Captains are called Great Captains. None of them seem to be as wily and clever as Rodel.

I disagree - Pedron Niall was a Great Captain, and he was certainly wily and clever.

:vomit:

Then what is the point of the heavy handed 'clues'?

to show that the same type of people still exist in the third age like they did in the second. Taim was exhibiyting the same personality types as demandred before he turned to the shadow.

my only real problem I'm going to have with these next 3 books sounds silly when i say it out loud, but i think its valid. the names of new characters. for some reason when i was reading the prologue, the names of the farmer and blacksmith and the other new characters didnt really sound like WoT names to me.

I mean the similarity of physical descriptions more than personality traits. RJ has shown he can do more subtle clues, like showing who is a black sister by their dresses.

Slick - I haven't come across that yet in my re-read, but I will keep an eye open. :)

my only real problem I'm going to have with these next 3 books sounds silly when i say it out loud, but i think its valid. the names of new characters. for some reason when i was reading the prologue, the names of the farmer and blacksmith and the other new characters didnt really sound like WoT names to me.

Jordan created and named those characters. There was an audio tape played at DragonCon which had him reading the start of the prologue before he died.

The problem that I think a lot of people are going to have is going to be the problem of trying to identify what was written by RJ vs what was written by Sanderson...and they are going to drive themselves crazy.

I, personally, am just going to enjoy the book as a whole without worrying about who wrote what. The overall tone sounds like RJ (both in the free chapter and the $2.99 prologue), and I'm happy with that.

I'm picturing the three books printed on rice paper and bound like a Bible complete with "red letter edition."

:read:

Jordan created and named those characters. There was an audio tape played at DragonCon which had him reading the start of the prologue before he died.

*sniffs while smoothing skirt*

*smells*

*needs a wash*

As if this series needed MORE petty characters. :rolleyes:

But that's one of his hallmarks :) Take away the petty characters and the unusual (for a man) notice of what women are wearing, or the mild lesbian S&M fantasies, and you take away the RJ-ishness. :)

Apparently I've mellowed over the years, when Nynaeve gripped her braid it felt a bit like coming home.

PS Where the hell is Demandred?

*sniffs and grips*

Archived