Wheel of Time Book 13 title and cover art revealed

Werthead

He is, contrary to people's continued claims to the contrary, very definitely not the poster boy for "Saying you'll do it in x books and just doing it!" Neither has Bakker (going from 3 to 9 books). Someone like Abercrombie or Rowling is a better comparison.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I was totally unaware of this wrt Bakker. When did he claim that his series would only be a trilogy? Was it before Darkness came out?

Because once the first book was out, it would be pretty ridiculous to have the war with the Fanim and the Second Apocalypse take place in the remaining two books. It would have to be condensed to the point of being a completely different story.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I was totally unaware of this wrt Bakker. When did he claim that his series would only be a trilogy? Was it before Darkness came out?

Yeah. And he "declared it" by saying "Yeah, I originally imagined it would be a trilogy, then I started writing and realised each section had WAY to much stuff in it for only 1 book".

Are you sure?

This post on Irene Gallo's (the art director at Tor) blog states that they will commission new art for the upcoming ebook editions, but she doesn't say anything about future print editions.

At DragonCon and Worldcon Tom Doherty said the full series would be rejacketed some time after Book 14 comes out, but the last two books will have Sweet covers because they know some people will moan about the books not matching on the shelf. It's in Sanderson's blog a few times as well.

The Second Apocalypse was originally a trilogy consisting of The Prince of Nothing, The Aspect-Emperor and a third book whose name has not been confirmed yet. Then when he sat down to write the first book, he realised it was a trilogy. He thought the second and third series were duologies, but AE is now a trilogy and there seems to be a suggestion that the third series will also likely extend to trilogy status.

Originally I thought my Fantasy NiP would also come as trilogy, but since a few months it's four books, and reading this thread makes me wonder what I really got myself into. :o

:D

To add another author to the list: Tad William's third book of his new 'trilogy' is coming so big that it will have to be published as two books. Not a Jordanesque increase of books, but still not the original estimate.

I also have no idea how many books J.V. Jones' series will be in the end, and I somehow I doubt she knows, either. ;)

This was all over the place last year. Erikson announced it on his Toll the Hounds signing tour.

The 'main arc' apparently still ends in Book 10 (although based on DoD, what Erikson considers to be 'the main arc' and what some of the fans consider appears to greatly differ). There will then be 3 prequels about Anomander Rake. My original thought was that this would be purely optional, but Erikson then spends a lot of Books 8-9 setting them up so, they're not. Then there will be a 3-book sequel trilogy about Karsa Orlong and his plan to lead the Toblakai in conquering the world. This is a direct continuation of Karsa storyline from Books 4 and 6-8 of the main series.

At the same time, Esslemont is writing six books (including the two already out) which expand on the series. His fourth will revisit Darujhistan and directly pick up on the Tyrant storyline from Book 8. The fifth will visit Assail and pick up on Silverfox and the T'lan Imass' adventures there which was left hanging in Book 3. The final one will act as a coda to the entire 22-book series.

Esslemont's books are absolutely not essential to the main story arc, they're a nice fan service but nothing more than that. Likewise Erikson's two trilogies and the novellas, nice to read if you want to find out more about certain characters, but not essential. I can't think of anything that happens in book 8 and 9 that would make the Rake trilogy important in understanding the main arc.

Anyway, it'll be more than 22 books when you count in the new novellas that Erikson plans on writing.

So the title of book 13 will reference the Imperial Palace in Seanchan? Is that what I read before the "every author known to man is a sellout" derailment?

If so... why? Up to now our only time actually spent "in" Seanchan was Aviendha and Rand's romantic getaway in the igloo on the other side of her gate. Why would we spend a significant amount of time there now? Might as well go to Shara or The Isle of Madmen.

So the title of book 13 will reference the Imperial Palace in Seanchan? Is that what I read before the "every author known to man is a sellout" derailment?

If so... why? Up to now our only time actually spent "in" Seanchan was Aviendha and Rand's romantic getaway in the igloo on the other side of her gate. Why would we spend a significant amount of time there now? Might as well go to Shara or The Isle of Madmen.

I haven't read the whole series, yet. In fact I just read the first book in German, however, I am going to read the whole series some time soon.

Why not? Why not spent time, there? Do you know what is going to happen there? I mean, why did GRRM spent so much time in KL? To drive the story onward. So...

I haven't read the whole series, yet. In fact I just read the first book in German, however, I am going to read the whole series some time soon.

Why not? Why not spent time, there? Do you know what is going to happen there? I mean, why did GRRM spent so much time in KL? To drive the story onward. So...

Since you've not read the story I wouldn't expect you to necessarily understand yet just exactly what I mean. GRRM spends a lot of time in King's Landing beginning early in AGoT. We've honestly never been anywhere but the "Westlands" in WoT other than a brief trip to the Aiel's Three Fold Land in TSR/FoH. To suddenly set major plot points on another continent in the next to last book of a 14 book saga would seem odd to me.

I am really not sure of the last few books - its been years since I skimmed them once, but didnt Semmi have the Empress killed? If so Tiuon is Empress and Mat is...Emperor?Consort? so it wouldn't be too out of the range of belief that they go to Senchean.

They might port back there for some sort of confrontation/negotiation between Rand and Tuon.

The prophecies about The Dragon Reborn kneeling to the Empress might not be false after all.

Beyond that, it just may be named after the idea, but we won't actually see or visit the place.

Esslemont's books are absolutely not essential to the main story arc, they're a nice fan service but nothing more than that. Likewise Erikson's two trilogies and the novellas, nice to read if you want to find out more about certain characters, but not essential. I can't think of anything that happens in book 8 and 9 that would make the Rake trilogy important in understanding the main arc.

The story of Karsa Orlong, arguably the main character of the whole series in Books 4 and 6-8, continues and concludes in the sequel trilogy.

Most of Book 8 and a chunk of 9 are spent setting up Kharkanas and the Tiste Andii situation there, which will be more thoroughly explored in the prequel trilogy. Given how tedious those sections of the books are, I am really not excited by the idea of three 900-page books set there.

The story of Darujhistan and is inhabitants, including characters left in dubious positions at the end of Book 8, continues in an Esslemont novel.

The story of Silverfox and the T'lan Imass on Assail continues in an Esslemont novel.

Based on what we know so far, it sounds like Erikson feels that the 'main story' of the 10-book sequence is the Crippled God (who plays zero role in four of the books), the Bonehunters (most of whom have only really been around for four of the later books, if that) and the situation in Lether (not visited until Book 5). I'm not sure many fans would agree with that. If anything, those are the elements people don't seem so keen on.

Based on what we know so far, it sounds like Erikson feels that the 'main story' of the 10-book sequence is the Crippled God (who plays zero role in four of the books), the Bonehunters (most of whom have only really been around for four of the later books, if that) and the situation in Lether (not visited until Book 5). I'm not sure many fans would agree with that. If anything, those are the elements people don't seem so keen on.

What other main story could there be though? None of those other plot-threads seem meaty enough to carry the bloated weight of the Malazan series, though I do agree that dropping these plots into seemingly 'nonessential' books is a terrible one.

Archived