Pratchett II: The Wrath of Om

Werthead

I promise that my thoughts on Night Watch, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Thud!, and Making Money will be up as soon as my home internet gets repaired.

In the meantime, let me just say that at this point, I believe Lyanna Stark's last words were, "Promise me, Ned. Promise me... one final taste from Harga's House of Fine Ribs."

A New Children's Book from Terry Pratchett in September

Kirsten comments: “We're so thrilled to be publishing this collection – Terry's youngest work yet. These stories are full of Pratchett's trademark wit and imagination and will be adored by anyone aged 8-108. Brimming with knights, dragons, abominable snowmen and even more abominable crooks, they are a joy to read and share with young readers. We can't wait to introduce Terry's genius to a whole new generation of future fans.”

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Collaborating with Terry Pratchett, by Stephen Baxter

But we had signed up for two books, and had always had an eye on the sequel. Early in the game Terry had come up with a sequel title: The Long Mars, no detail then, but clearly a way to move the idea on. However as we worked on Book 1 we realised that we’d taken the story too far, that we were hinting at a what-happened-next story of colonisation and conflict in the Long Earth that should be following our initial tale of pioneering and discovery. So Book 1 split into two, and Book 2 was pushed back to become a Book 3. And as we discussed how we would explore the ultimate meaning of the Long Earth Universe, Books 4 and 5 shivered into existence...

• 2 weeks later...

From Twitter:

Just to let you all know, the book that's on the screen in front of us - and is well underway - will be the 5th Tiffany Aching novel.

And before you ask - NO - we don't know when it will be published because we don't know when it will be finished.

Yes. Granny is definitely in it.

Did Pratchett change his editor or did his illness affect his writing this much? Or is it due to a ghost writer? The writing, style and sentence structures changed a lot starting from Unseen Academical. The books from then on are definitely not written by the Terry Prachett I know.

Snuff was the most terrible, I couldn't get into the writing but I forced myself through it as I still wanted to know the plot.

Dodger was not so bad as it wasn't set in discworld, so the change of style was not so jarring.

Raising Steam lost so much flair and humour of the characters.

• 5 weeks later...

The Fifth Tiffany Aching Novel Announced

At the UK Discworld Convention this weekend, Rob Wilkins announced the book that Terry Pratchett is currently working on is the fifth novel in the Tiffany Aching series.

Drumroll please…… The book will be called: The Shepherd’s Crown!

More news will be published here as soon as we have it.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I shall wear a sprig of (my neighbours) lilac and drink a dram in memory of PTerry on Monday, 25 May. I'll also send a donation to the Alzheimer's society. Time for a Night Watch re read a also I think.

Quick question from a Pratchett ignoramus.

If I want to try this author, is the beginning of Discworld the most logical place?

Merci

ETA: I was just filled with a premonition that I might have asked this earlier in the thread but am too potentially ashamed to look.

Quick question from a Pratchett ignoramus.

If I want to try this author, is the beginning of Discworld the most logical place?

Merci

Grab a book at random. If it doesn't say The Light Fantastic then you are good to go.

Years of being asked this question has led me to this simple conclusion. I read my first 15 or so books in the series under the 'what is in stock' system.

So it's not a series in the strictest sense?

ETA: accidental alliteration!

More of a shared world. The world itself does progress but I don't think it matters as a theme unless you are an addict like me.

Light Fantastic is the only true sequel

Archived