Show your Collections!

Stego

Stego -- is that your living room or the back room? (remember, I spent the majority of my time in your house curled up around the toilet with your cats. ;) )

I'm fixing to re-organize our bookshelves at some point. They're even messier than when you saw them in August.

That's my library, Martha. Back room.

I would be happy to take the train down and help you reorganize your books. :D

I love how neat it all looks in the first picture. I would be terrified that evil neighbors would knock down my shelves if I had them on the wall like you do over your computer. :D I always liked those kinds of shelves, though.

You should have seen the size of the screws I used to mount the shelves. It is also put up on a thick brick wall with the bathroom on the other side, so I hope it will hold. :)

I collect essential oils. I am more proud of my shelving than my collection itself, but I do have a fair number of oils, and I use them daily.

My oils, organized by color.

My oil shelf.

I also collect books about plant medicines, and herbals, but they are not as pretty as my oils in their shelf!

My oil shelf.

I love that. It is really lovely.

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's collections. I have a photography book that is just photographs of people's private libraries and I always love looking through it and getting inspired...and envious! I'll try to take and post pictures of my own later this week.

In order to lower the bar set by Stego and kcf I will post my humble awesome collection so that others will not be daunted to share theirs.

Kalabalik's awesome bookshelf

Can anyone spot the most awesome webcomic collection ever?

WOW, the UK paperbacks are pretty. Those Neal Stephenson books! And the Wheel of Time! And those matching classics in TPB.... I want those! Gah!Good collection Kalabalik. I might have more books, but you have all the good ones. Seriously, the level of quality among your collection is very high.

This is far from showing my full collection, but I have a few saved photos from 2008-present (some will repeat, but with different orderings for the books over a year's span):

First three are from September 2008:

Non-English Library I

Non-English Library II

Non-English Library III

Then there was the December 2009 update of the non-English, non-Spanish books:

From Portuguese to Greek

Then the contents of two bookcases out of the 13 I currently use:

November 2009

Feel free to try and find any rhyme or reason to the orderings.

I collect essential oils. I am more proud of my shelving than my collection itself, but I do have a fair number of oils, and I use them daily.

My oils, organized by color.

My oil shelf.

I also collect books about plant medicines, and herbals, but they are not as pretty as my oils in their shelf!

Seastarr, I know you already spend a good portion of your life teaching me stuff, but what are essential oils and what makes them essential? (Your collection looks awfully neat; alchemical and reminds me of Patrick Suskind's novel, Perfume.)

My books are spread out in a couple of different rooms. Not all of them are shelved and many books lie behind those visible on each shelf.

Here's a little bookshelf of a small sampling of my mass market paperbacks

The room that servers as our office had a built-in-the-wall book case, here are the shelves

Top Shelves

Middle Shelves

Bottom Shelves

TV Unit/Book Case in office

A small bench/bookcase (again, many mmpbs behind what you see)

A few signed books

Seastarr, I know you already spend a good portion of your life teaching me stuff, but what are essential oils and what makes them essential? (Your collection looks awfully neat; alchemical and reminds me of Patrick Suskind's novel, Perfume.)

They are called essential oils because they are the extracted "essences" of plants, meaning they contain the aromatic compounds that give the plant its distinct fragrance. They are distilled from plant matter (bark, leaves, roots, petals, seeds, peels, etc), often using an alembic, to separate the fibrous material of the plant from the oily, aromatic components of the plant. The by-product of this process is called a hydrosol, and is a watery, weaker-fragranced liquid. You have probably encountered essential oils in food products or cosmetics (like oil of peppermint in toothpaste.)

They can be used for aromatherapy, massage, cookery, soap-making, and cleaning/disinfecting. They have medicinal and therapeutic uses as well.

My collection contains mostly single-plant oils, but I blend them in use for different purposes. Some of my favorites are: frankincense, rosewood, black spruce, and blue tansy.

I haven't read Perfume, but now I want to!

I thought I'd add another humble collection to the mix :)

I've just moved so this is the first time my books have been out of boxes for six months. Very happy to have some shelves again, wasn't room in the last apartment. Only have a couple shelves, but hopefully the collection will be growing now that I've discovered the wonderful, wonderful book depository. It's almost impossible to get nice hard covers in Australia without paying a small fortune.

Top half shelf 1

Bottom half shelf 1

Top half shelf 2

Bottom half shelf 2

Archived