How I Met Your Mother 2

Jaxom 1974

I'm watching this now, and had to post this one thought:

If nothing else happened this entire show, Ted's "gooey" song to Barney followed by "Strip club?" was quite hilarious. :rofl:

Also, Marshall singing "Bang, bang, bangity bang bang bang bang, bang bang bangity bang?" :rofl:

If nothing else happened this entire show, Ted's "gooey" song to Barney followed by "Strip club?" was quite hilarious. :rofl:

Also, Marshall singing "Bang, bang, bangity bang bang bang bang, bang bang bangity bang?" :rofl:

I'm sorry, this episode was full of win. And I don't want to hear any complaints from people, "Oh what about the mother? This didn't help tell us about how we meet the mother...". You know what? This show is ultimately about relationships and using Ted's friends to show some of this is okay in my book. In fact, it helps define the entire concept of the show too.

Oh, and Jennifer Lopez > Brittney Spears...

Really? You're really gonna do this right now?

I agree it was a great episode. I was just writing while I was watching it - and had missed the first 5 minutes or so (thank you, Mav) but rewound it after my post (thank you, DVR gods) and I was cracking up hysterically at those parts long after they were done. I even have Marshall's song stuck in my head.

I'm glad this episode addressed the Robin/Barney dynamic. I was awfully sick of people saying "But they were acting like they were never together..." Doing it this way (in a series of flashbacks, a la the Ted/Robin break up) I felt was proper. You know "people" would bitch that Robin was harping on the break up if she was shown moping around. I'm sick of "people" bitching about the show, frankly. Even when it's lagging, it's better than most sitcoms on TV right now (minus Modern Family, IMO, but I don't watch many other sitcoms).

I agree it was a great episode. I was just writing while I was watching it - and had missed the first 5 minutes or so (thank you, Mav) but rewound it after my post (thank you, DVR gods) and I was cracking up hysterically at those parts long after they were done. I even have Marshall's song stuck in my head.

The song worked even better as each layer was added to emphasize how much of a jackass each of the guys had been...

I'm glad this episode addressed the Robin/Barney dynamic. I was awfully sick of people saying "But they were acting like they were never together..." Doing it this way (in a series of flashbacks, a la the Ted/Robin break up) I felt was proper. You know "people" would bitch that Robin was harping on the break up if she was shown moping around. I'm sick of "people" bitching about the show, frankly. Even when it's lagging, it's better than most sitcoms on TV right now (minus Modern Family, IMO, but I don't watch many other sitcoms).

That's what I was screamin' like three or four posts above! :P

I was really happy that they didn't try to put Barney and Robin back together. When he was doing the "heartfelt, really care about you" speech to her, then said she deserves to go on the super date, I was terrified.

Nice that they're keeping the story away from Ted. The more he factors into the show, the sooner they have to finish up. They can't keep his storyline away from the wife for much longer.

Nice that they're keeping the story away from Ted. The more he factors into the show, the sooner they have to finish up. They can't keep his storyline away from the wife for much longer.

They can since there's going to be another season...

Right, but not every episode needs to be dedicated to Ted. Like this one, they can write episodes that sideline him, which delays the meeting.

Oh, I know. And like I said above, since this show is ultmately about relationships, not jus the mother, it's always good when this is emphasixed with the others too...

Oh, I know. And like I said above, since this show is ultmately about relationships, not jus the mother, it's always good when this is emphasixed with the others too...

Agreed. I like when the use the other characters, not just in romantic relationships, but also platonic.

But Ted's "love story" with the mother becomes less meaningful over time, since we see him hooking up with girls all the time. It made more sense for him to be in a relationship, but the premise of his character would lose plausibility with more serious relationships.

Just my take. Not sure it made sense, there are like 7 screaming kids in the office with me and some of them are staring at my computer. :ohwell:

• 1 month later...

So I've just been rewatching season 2 for about the hundredth time and something just occurred to me. Watching the "Stuff" episode where Ted and Robin are fighting about all Ted's stuff from his ex's, he repeatedly tries to cover up experiences with his ex's as having been with his sister. I've never noticed before but his sister is brought up a few times in other episodes and it just strikes me as weird that she hasn't come into the plotline for even one episode yet. So, are they saving her for future considerations? or has she been forgotten?

She appears in person in one episode in the fourth series. She moves to New York, doesn't have sex with Barney, has a breakthrough in a somewhat strained relationship with her brother and then disappears again - possibly forever.

She appears in person in one episode in the fourth series. She moves to New York, doesn't have sex with Barney, has a breakthrough in a somewhat strained relationship with her brother and then disappears again - possibly forever.

Ahh yes, I forgot about that, I've only seen the fourth season once :)

Eh. The quality of HIMYM has slumped off. Maybe it's just that the jokes are becoming tired, or maybe I'm just frustrated by the glacial pace, but the eps just aren't as good as they were.

Not to say it's bad. But, it's more like that episodes were reliable good, and now they're just "okay"

Well I couldn't disagree with that asessment more.

That being said, tonight wasn't the strongest episode of what has otherwise been a really good season...

I think you could, if I said "How I Met Your Mother is the worst shower ever, it should be cancelled now, it was never funny and never will be" I'd say you'd probably disagree more...if there's any consistency to your thought at least. Of course that's your opinion and you may voice it as you will. Pedantic details aside, care to elaborate?

Pacing could certainly be better, the show is called How I Met Your Mother yet plot progression seems to be much wanting. At least in earlier seasons we had the whole Lily/Marshal thing, Ted's at university now, but his plotlines are usually mediocre and feel a fair bit like pointless filler, he doesn't seem to really do anything. When he met the Mother's roommate, I thought we were getting somewhere, but then myeh.

The episodes themselves are just less funny as well some like "Say Cheese", "Hooked" and "Last Cigarette Ever" just felt dull.

That is, of course, my take. Care to offer your own?

I think you could, if I said "How I Met Your Mother is the worst shower ever, it should be cancelled now, it was never funny and never will be" I'd say you'd probably disagree more...if there's any consistency to your thought at least. Of course that's your opinion and you may voice it as you will. Pedantic details aside, care to elaborate?

Pacing could certainly be better, the show is called How I Met Your Mother yet plot progression seems to be much wanting. At least in earlier seasons we had the whole Lily/Marshal thing, Ted's at university now, but his plotlines are usually mediocre and feel a fair bit like pointless filler, he doesn't seem to really do anything. When he met the Mother's roommate, I thought we were getting somewhere, but then myeh.

The episodes themselves are just less funny as well some like "Say Cheese", "Hooked" and "Last Cigarette Ever" just felt dull.

That is, of course, my take. Care to offer your own?

Question: Are you watching the show to find out who the mother is? Or are you watching for the laughs?

Personally for me, if you're ticked that you're not finding out who the mother is you're missing the complete point of the show.

Archived