Your Kingsguard, Hand of the King, and Small Council

Carter209

I don't know if this has been done before, and if it has go ahead and delete this topic, but I'll give it a go anyway. Characters that can be involved should be restricted to those alive at the beginning of AGOT. Plus I might leave out a position or two on the Small Council, so if I do please let me know.

Please note: vows for the Kingsguard don't matter. I know this wouldn't be extremely legit, but just for the sake of fun.

So, to start off with Hand of the King; Tywin Lannister: The man knows how to run a kingdom, that's for sure.

Small Council:

Littlefinger-Treasurer, hopefully Tywin could keep him(relatively) in line

Victarion Greyjoy-Master of Ships, only been beaten once, and that was by Stannis. However, I'll take Victarion over Stannis anyday.

Varys-Master of Whisperers, the guy knows his stuff

Stannis Baratheon-Justicar, does not hear excuses or praises of good deeds(see Davos).

Grand Maester-Maester Luwin, besides Aemon he seems to be the best Maester we have seen so far

Kingsguard:

Barristan the Bold-Lord Commander,still the best fighter in the kingdom

Blackfish-kept Robb afloat during the War of the Five Kings

Jaime Lannister-one or two-handed doesn't matter, knows his way around a battlefield

Sandor Clegane-may have disgraced the White Cloak in ACoK, but still I will take him

Garlan Tyrell-way better swordsman than his brother

Greatjon-big, scary dude. Seems to be able to use that size well too

Red Viper-knows how to wield a spear, and could have killed the Mountain, which is impressive.

EDIT: Forgot the Grand Maester

Garlan Tyrell-way better swordsman than his brother

Greatjon-big, scary dude. Seems to be able to use that size well too

Red Viper-knows how to wield a spear, and could have killed the Mountain, which is impressive.

Good luck getting that bunch to renounce their lands and sexual encounters. (Especially Oberyn and sex.... not a chance.)

You know, I think that the Kingsguard would be more effective if they were more honest. It seems like, instead of getting the best knights, they either get incompetent cronies looking for cushy sinecures, second- and third-born sons nominated to get rid of them rather than because of talent, and Balon Swann.

Oberyn's too promiscuous to even pretend, though. Plus, renouncing children wouldn't work too well with his habit of claiming all his bastards.

Plus, keeping the same mistress through a decade or more and 4 children says something. He might like his whores, but that's not all he wants.

Oberyn's too promiscuous to even pretend, though.

Who does pretend, though? The Hound openly visits whores, Ser Preston Greenfield was sleeping with a married woman and all his brothers knew it, Jaime was banging the queen and fathered her children and that was semi-public knowledge (and now is public), Ser Boros Blount visited whores openly as well IIRC, Loras is known to be homosexual, etc.

Selmy and Balon Swann seem to put up a decent job of pretending, now that I think of it. But pretending to chastity doesn't even seem to be a requirement of the job. Even historical Kingsguard slept around and not much happened without extenuating circumstances.

Attempting to achieve political balance, with a Kingsguard that is reasonably possible...

King: Stannis Baratheon

Hand: Tywin Lannister

Grand Maester: Maester Cressen

Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister

Master of Laws: Roose Bolton

Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth

Master of Whispers: Olenna Tyrell

Kingsguard:

Barristan Selmy (Lord Commander)

Loras Tyrell

Quentyn Martell (*cough*political hostage*cough*)

Balon Swann

Brynden Tully

Brienne of Tarth

Robar Royce

(If Victarion Greyjoy were culturally appropriate, I'd swap him in for Royce. As it is, he's too culturally alien to accept the role).

The 'best' kingsguard will depend, atleast to some extent, on who's doing the ruling, no? I can't see a Martell being a particularly good KG when, say, Cersei is lording over KL. What timeline are we looking at? End of AFfC?

Also, you might want some blokes who will be willing to get in line and actually ... serve. That might rule some badasses (Red Viper for one) out right there.

The 'best' kingsguard will depend, atleast to some extent, on who's doing the ruling, no? I can't see a Martell being a particularly good KG when, say, Cersei is lording over KL. What timeline are we looking at? End of AFfC?

Timeline's start of AGOT. So Ned's OK, but no Rhaegar/Arthur Dayne, etc.

Hand Of The King: Ned Stark

Grand Maester: Maester Pylos

Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister

Master of Laws: Randyll Tarly

Master of Ships: Stannis Baratheon

Master of Whispers: Lord Varys

Kingsguard:

Loras Tyrell

Balon Swann

Lyn Corbray

Jory Cassel

Adam Marbrand

Patrek Malister

Quite happy with my kingsguard ^^

Malister was only because his father is a badass and im sure he will be in later books

this is pretty cool. its like making an all star team

Small Council

Hand: Eddard Stark(he would of been a good hand if he wasnt accused of treason)

Grand Maester: Maester Aemon

Master of Coin: Tywin Lannister (coz he shits gold)

Master of Ships: Asha Greyjoy

Master of Whispers: Olenna Tyrell(agree with pet leech, varys is very untrust worthy)

Captain of the Gold cloaks: Randyll Tarly

Kingsguard:

Jamie Lannister

Loras Tyrell

Gregor Cleagan

Brynden Tully

Brienne of Tarth

Ghost (his white and a dire wolf that does damage)

if i cnt hav ghost il have to put the red viper in aswell.

!!!THE DREAM TEAM!!!

(I went with what I'd like at the end of the book, and didn't use any character's GRRM has already killed off)

Queen : Daenarys Targ-aryen

Queen's Justice : Arya Stark

Queen's Hand : Arianne Martell

GrandMaester : Sarella Sand

Master of Coin : Illyrio Mopatis

Master of Ships : Victarion Greyjoy

Master of Laws : <shrug>

Master of Whispers : Varys (sigh)

Lord Commander of the Night Watch : Jon Snow

Maester of the Night Watch : Samwell Tarly

QueensGuard (most unconventional, ever):

Strong Belwas

Loras Tyrell

Brienne Tarth

+all 3 of Dany's Khalesar

Leader of BwB: Rickon Stark and Shaggydog

My hand would be Tywin Lannister. He has the experience and the intelligence. Big asset for me, if I don't piss him off.

Small Council:

Tyrion as Master of Coin (may not sh*t gold like daddy but he does know how to get things done and is more trustworthy than Littlefinger)

Lord Redwyne as Master of Ships. He has a large fleet himself and I can always have other battle commanders if I find him more useful for administrative duties.

Ned as Master of Laws. First thing he gets to do is give Littlefinger the chop. And since he believes the man who passes the sentence should swing the blade I save some money on an executioner. Tyrion will be pleased with my financial acumen.

Maester Luwin, because I like him and he is honest.

Kingsguard:

Ser Barristan Selm as Lord Commander

The Blackfish

Garlan Tyrell

Areo Hotah

Dolorous Edd (the man's a survivor)

Syrio Forel

Jaquen Hgharr (who better to stop an assassin than an assassin?)

Can't believe I forgot Master of Whispers. I want Verys for the nonce. But I want him training Samwell Tarly. We replace the Spider with the Slayer.

King: Ned Stark

My hand would be Littlefinger, with ned as king he'd be held back from doing anything outrageously sneaky

Small Council:

Illyrio as Master of Coin

Stannis as Master of Ships.

Roose Bolton as Master of Laws-to scare the crap out of everyone

Tyrion needs a spot somewhere but I cant recall any more positions

Kingsguard:

Randyll Tarly as Lord Commander

The Blackfish

Garlan Tyrell

Bronze Yohn

Sandor Clegane

Syrio Forel

Jaime Lannister

Hand: Tywin Lannister

Grand Maester: Maester Aemon

Master of Coin: Littlefinger (He makes too much money not to have him)

Master of Laws: Tyrion Lannister

Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth

Master of Whispers: Varys (Again, his experience is vital)

Kingsguard: (Well getting unmarried people is quitehard but...)

Areo Hotah (Lord Commander) (Totally loyal and seems like a good leader)

Sandor Clegane (As long as he's not near fire, should be ok)

Balon Swann (Perfect KG almost)

Addam Marbrand (I'm not sure if he's married, but a good knight)

Barristan Selmy (I'd have him as LC if not for Areo being class)

Andrik the Unsmiling (May be an Ironborn but they can be loyal and he's supposed to be even better than Victarion)

Syrio Forel

• 1 year later...

-King: Edmure Tully. Yes, the guy is not the greatest general, but he is honorable and good natured; the rest of the team could do most of the nasty work. and he would watch them so the people was well treated.

-Queen: Margarey Tyrell. After being subject to a forty days long exorcism to make sure she stops being such a hunsband-killing jinx. She is smart, and knows how to play the role of royal consort better than anybody else.

-Hand of the King: Stannis. Makes the perfect counterbalance for Edmure good nature, will deal with the enemies and conspirators, and will have the damn work done.

-Master of Laws: Eddard Stark. He will see that justice is fairly dispensed, and will never be corrupted or blackmailed.

-Master of Coin: Lady Alyse Ladybright, currently treasurer of Doran Martell; I don´t know anything of her but her job, but any woman who manages to claw her way up to her place despite the prejudice must be a genius. Littlefinger may be better, but in my ideal Westeros he would be too dead for the job.

-Master of Whispers: Tyrion. He is cunning enough to do the job, and is loyal enough to his friends. Varys and Bloodraven would both do the job even better, but I wouldn´t trust Varys, and Bloodraven is kind of...attached to a tree.

-Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth. Salladhor Saan, Asha Greyjoy or Victarion Greyjoy may be better admirals, but lets face it, Victarion is as wise as a sack of bricks and is loyal only to his family and the Iron Islands, Asha would become ambitious and try to use the power for her own benefit, and Salla would clean the treasury and escape to Lys; Davos is wise, sensible and honest, too good to not be used.

-Great Maester: Cressen (late maester of Stannis); wise, and literally loyal to death; there is no other better for the job.

-Great Septon: Meribald. A wise, honest, hard-working, generous true believer; and since he can´t read or write, he won´t be distracted by minute details of doctrine and will focus on improving the commoner´s life.

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Barristan Selmy. Will serve loyally a noble and good king.

-Kingsguard 2: The Blackfish. Yes, I´m picking experience and wisdom over brawn; I need commanders.

-Kingsguard 3: Areo Hotah. Born for the job.

-Kingsguard 4: Loras Tyrell. He won´t marry anyway, and he is a damn good knight who will protect his sister, nephews and nieces to death.

-Kingsguard 5: Balon Swann. A truly fine knight.

-Kingsguard 6: Arys Oakheart. Good enough with a sword, though it may be necessary to keep an eye on the women he meets.

-Kingsguard 7: Brienne. Good enough with a sword, and loyal to death.

-King´s Justice: Sandor Clegane. But I would try to make his job more prestigious. I would often send him to hunt criminals and robber knights (no sense wasting such a fine warrior watching prisoners and beheading criminals).

-Master of Arms of the Red Fortress: Ser Garland Tyrell would be just the best for the job, but he may not want to take that post, being the second son of great lord and all.

-Captain of the Golden Cloaks: Cotter Pyke. I would bring him from the Wall and tell him to turn those pansies golden cloaks into a true fighting force; also, he would know how to deal with the scum that makes most of the candidates to the guard in King´s Landing.

Woot, always wanted to be a queen ;)

Queen Candace, the First of Her Name, .........I won't go on.

King Consort: Jon (Targaryen/Snow) - Need someone at my side who I can respect and who is helpful in a ruling position. Doesn't hurt that he's loyal, and at least, we could be friends.

Hand Of The Queen: Davos Seaworth. He just has a good head on his shoulders, and a varied perspective from the nobles because of his upbringing. He also is very loyal and trustworthy. Someone I can count on.

Queensguard:

---Jaime Lannister

---Barristan Selmy

---Sandor Clegane

---Oberyn Martell

---Brienne of Tarth

---Jorah Mormont

---Loras Tyrell

Lord Commander being Barristan Selmy. Persons chosen for loyalty and ability. I'd throw out that celibacy etc vow.

Master of Laws: Stannis Baratheon - who is more clear cut just and can look without bias?

Master of Whispers: Varys, untrustworthy, but the best at this sort of thing, which is important.

Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister - skills.

Mistress of Ships: Asha Greyjoy - for obvious skills.

*new* Foreign Ambassador: Daenerys Targareyn - she's good at the culture chameleon thing.

Queen's Justice: Ned Stark - mmhmm.

Grand Maester: Aemon Targaryen

High Septon: The Elder Brother from the Quiet Isle. My kind of religious guy.

LC of Night's Watch: Brynden Tully - seems made for it.

Warden of the North: Bran Stark

Warden of the East: Bronze Yohn Royce

Warden of the West: Myrcella Lannister

Warden of the South: Willas Tyrell

If I was King I would abolosh the Kingsguard because it's a terrible concept overall and simply give myself a large bodyguard.

Hand: Tywin, but I'd buy off his son to keep a close eye on him

Laws: Ned, he might be stupid, but if I could keep him and the Lannisters on the same side I think he could do great.

Navy: Stannis, most sucessful naval commander, etc. Guys like Redwyne don't actually strike me as being smart military commanders, they just have a big navy.

Coin: Tyrion, LF is just too untrustworthy.

Whispers: Qyburn, yeah he's a freak, but I feel like Varys would kill me after a while. QB actually seems kind of loyal.

Grand Maester: Samwell Tarly, aww yeah

High Septon: Meribald!

King's Justice: Sir Jaime Lannister, having been most unfortuneately castrated in the year 303 in a freak hunting accident.

Envoy: Davos <3

LC of Night's Watch: Brynden or Jeor, can't say

Wife: Cersei Lannisters. What?! Yeah thats right. I honestly feel a huge reason she's a psycho is because of her relationship with Robert. But what about Jaime you ask? Let me just tell you, if I was in a fantasy series I would put Rhaegar to shame. Plus with Cersei as my wife I assure Tywin's loyalty, and that would help a lot.

Backup wifes: Arianne, Dany, and Val. Maybe a Sandsnake or two.

edit: forgot a few

Archived