Tywin: Terry Oquinn

Sandor Clegane: Josh Holloway

Benjen Stark: Nathan Fillion

Stannis Barratheon: Christopher Eccleston

Robert Baratheon: Robbie Coltrane

Arya: Dakota Fanning

Rob Stark: Spencer Treat Clark

Joffrey: Someone that looks exactly like a younger Macauly Caulkin

I am shocked that no one has cast Michael Wincott ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000699/ )as the Hound, Listen to his voice, for crying out loud!!! This is the guy I think about when I hear Sandor's voice described... Raspy, angry, cynical... did I say raspy?

some have suggested Wincott already.. is it such a bother to read the previous posts??

Mine:

I think Connie Nielsen would be great as Cersei. Look at her here. Just because you haven't seen her play a bitch doesn't mean she can't. Seriously, all the Cersei suggestions have been tanned, smiley bimbos; Cersei needs to be pale and intimidating.

ooohhh... yes!!! perfect!!! can't wait for her scenes w/ Jaime... ;)

I also agree with Malek who cast Andie Macdowell as Cat...

and Johnny Depp is Mance Rayder... period. case closed!!! :smash:

Andy Serkis as Dolorous Edd??? hmm.. I've always imagined Dolorous Edd would be a little bit good-looking... but that's just me... :P

Bill Nighy for Balon Greyjoy... just compare:

Bill = Lord Reaper of Pyke

and I like James Caviezel in there, only I don't have any character in mind for him right now..

maybe... Brandon Stark?? or Davos??

how about Mark Wahlberg for Jaime???

Couldn't help noticing some awkward choices. Hayden Christensen as Joffrey?! You know Joff is 13-ish, right? Arkan made some comments at the end and I agree with them: Julian McMahon is not Renly; I don't think Julian can pass as a 21-year-old. And Milla Jovovich as Dany? She's not gonna cut it as a teenager.

Yeah, I keep forgetting how young these characters all are. I tend to visualize them as ~8-10 years older than they actually are. Renly I see as early 30's...

... which leads to an interesting question: If the books were actually going to be translated to a movie/miniseries, would it make it more plausible to the average viewer if the ages of the characters matched up more with modern maturity progression than with the more historical progression used in the books? I know a lot of 10 year olds less mature than baby Rickon; Arya might make more sense to a modern viewer as a young teen (~14-15), with Sansa just a few years older (though Sansa's "flowering" scene might have to change a wee bit...), Robb would be in his early 20's, and Joffrey and the other young knights would all be in their mid/late teens & early 20's... still plenty of room for the whole range of behavior; from naive to impetuous to cruel and vindictive.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I keep forgetting how young these characters all are. If the books were actually going to be translated to a movie/miniseries, would it make it more plausible to the average viewer if the ages of the characters matched up more with modern maturity progression?

This is a pet peeve of mine, especially as GRRM himself has said the characters might be better off older.

He has hardly any role, but Rickon would still have to be older - there is no such thing as a 4-year old actor. He'd have to be at least six or seven.

But Bran can't be much older, or the Bran/Hodor Master/Blaster thing wouldn't work. At twelve he'd be too tall. Nine?

Dany would have to be at least fifteen, or however the Direction danced around all the nudity, the whole Drogo plotline would probably be seen as endorsing pedophilia. And Dany has some seriously challenging scenes; you'd want a tested actress with some experience.

Sansa could be twelve or thirteen at the start without it being a problem. But if she was much older it would make her more dubious behavior less excusable, and if Joffrey was older it'd screw up his character. If Joff is a kid, full-grown men obeying him when he orders them to chop people's hands off, execute his betrothed's father and beat her up is genuinely shocking. If he's eighteen, it just means he's a prick.

Arya should be one year younger than Sansa. Seriously, I can't understand why GRRM made her so young (she's like eight in the first book?). The sisterly rivalry makes so much more sense if they're close in age.

Rob can be seventeen or eighteen, ditto Jon, as long as they are teenagers. Otherwise their age isn't relevant to the story. The exact ages of Loras and Renly also don't matter very much - do we care if Loras is twenty and Renly is twenty-five?

Woah, am I taking this too seriously yet?

Maester Aemon - the guy who played Dumbledore in the first two harry potter movies, whats his name, Richard Harris. Too bad he died.

Xhondo- Samuel L. Jackson, you know why.

Renly- Sean Bean, who was Boromir in LOTR

Sam- Sean Astin, because he has experience playing as a sam :P

The Hound- Micky Rourke, played Marv in Sin City

Margaery- Natalie Portman

Barristan Selmy- Sir Ian McKellen, probably not bulky enough, but whatever, its ian mckellen, he can do anything

Loras- toss up between Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp

One of the Kettlebacks- Eric Bana

hmm, looks like i only got one POV in there. Oh well.

Jalabhar Xho: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

Shae: Morena Baccarin

Tywin: Terry Oquinn

Sandor Clegane: Josh Holloway

Benjen Stark: Nathan Fillion

Stannis Barratheon: Christopher Eccleston

Robert Baratheon: Robbie Coltrane

Arya: Dakota Fanning

Rob Stark: Spencer Treat Clark

Joffrey: Someone that looks exactly like a younger Macauly Caulkin

Wow, these are all great choices. I thought about Robbie Coltrane for Robert too (I think I posted it somewhere) but I was worried about the age difference. Not sure about Dakota Fanning as Arya though... she's just too cute and adorable-looking to play !Grungy!Arya.

Maester Aemon - the guy who played Dumbledore in the first two harry potter movies, whats his name, Richard Harris. Too bad he died.

Xhondo- Samuel L. Jackson, you know why.

Renly- Sean Bean, who was Boromir in LOTR

Sam- Sean Astin, because he has experience playing as a sam tongue.gif

The Hound- Micky Rourke, played Marv in Sin City

Margaery- Natalie Portman

Barristan Selmy- Sir Ian McKellen, probably not bulky enough, but whatever, its ian mckellen, he can do anything

One of the Kettlebacks- Eric Bana

hmm, looks like i only got one POV in there. Oh well.

Argh! Sean Bean is Eddard!!! Sorry... everyone's entitled to their opinions. Johnny Depp as Loras though? :unsure:

Yeah, I keep forgetting how young these characters all are. If the books were actually going to be translated to a movie/miniseries, would it make it more plausible to the average viewer if the ages of the characters matched up more with modern maturity progression?

If the series was really gonna be a movie/miniseries, then it's likely that the characters will have to be older. If everyone single scene in the books were translated onto the movie screen with underage actors, then producers will probably suffer from some major legal ramifications. Some of the scenes with Dany come to mind. But maybe they'll pick to let the actors grow into their roles like they did with the Harry Potter movies.

and Johnny Depp is Mance Rayder... period. case closed!!! smash.gif

Hell yeah! :cheers: I realize Johnny Depp is talented enough to play almost anybody but it's set now. No more arguments!

I don't know if anybody here watches the Sopranos but I always picture Federico Castelluccio as Oberyn. For those of you who don't remember, Mr. Castelluccio played the enforcer named Furio starting in the second season. I think he came to mind based on this picture here. Pretty weird how my imagination works...

I don't know if anybody here watches the Sopranos but I always picture Federico Castelluccio as Oberyn. For those of you who don't remember, Mr. Castelluccio played the enforcer named Furio in starting in the second season. I think he came to mind based on this picture here. Pretty weird how my imagination works...

Furio as Oberyn........brilliance!!!! Sheer Brilliance!!!!!!

Ew. Dakota Fanning as Arya?! No. Thank. You. She's a superb actress, but she does not look the part (I'm not talking about the hair, either), and honestly, I've had enough of Dakota Fanning.

I say, just find an unknown for the little ones. There has to be more little (less annoying) Dakota Fannings out there.

Depp would make a great Mance. Well, actually, Johnny Depp would make a great anything. That guy is a freakin cameleon. However, I don't think Depp should be cast as Mance. I mean, how much screen time would he even get? That's just wasting amazing talent there, that is. I wouldn't stand for it. :D

Loras is a teenager. Johnny Depp is in his 40s. =p I know the ages would likely be changed if there ever were a miniseries/movies, but that's a huge difference. =)

Anyway, for my contribution: I've always thought Ben Kingsley would be an excellent Varys, although he'd need to look fatter, heh.

Roose Bolton has always been Christopher Walken in my mind, too, for some reason. It's those creepy eyes, I think.

I also like Natalie Portman as Margaery. This portrait of Margaery has always reminded me of a young Natalie.

Billy Crudup as Euron (mix the two photos to get desired result) I have a hunch this would be genius and he'd have a lot of fun with the part.

Thomas Kretchmann for Jaime? He's a little old for the role, and who knows how his english accent would fly. He's in the ballpark of how I picture the Kingslayer.

James Franco is Renly. How can anyone dispute this selection!

and, now to purify myself and return to my normal heterosexual male state... I submit the following:

Catelyn to be played by Jennifer Ferrin (former soap star with a great career ahead of her and striking babe (who would also make an excellent Melisandre)) and her counterpart Lysa played by Katherine Isabelle, aka Ginger from that Ginger Snaps movie. So you know that's good casting right there ;)

(and unlike Julienne Moore and Kate Winslet, they look somewhat alike and aren't 20 years too old for the parts)

Finally, Blake Lively. Tall, golden, and beautiful. Alas, she's but a cub as lions go. Cersei reference for the animated epic (or Lanna, the sailor's daughter) :P Looks a lot like Elaine Irwin (Mellencamp's wife--who must be bathing in blood since she hasn't aged at all)

Archived